Steering gear removal.

jbooth35

Reaction score
Need some advise on removing the steering gear on my 65 polara. It is power steering. FSM says to loosen the worm shaft to steering shaft coupling clamp bolt, and then loosen the steering column to instrument panel bracket and pull up on the column assembly until the coupling is clear. I actually don't see a coupling clamp bolt.

I read other instructions that have me punching out a pin and marking the shafts to separate and re-assemble. I'll post some pics. Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,

Joe

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

On this model, unbolt the two bolts in the rubber "hockey Puck" connector. Then unbolt the steering column support plate from the floor of the car. Next unbolt the support bracket from the bottom of the dash. There is a very light metal wand for the gear shift indicator that is easily damaged. Unbolt that wand before you unhook the dash bracket. Once everything is loose, you should be able to pull the steering column up far enough to disengage the rubber coupling on the gear, you may also need to unhook the shift linkage to get enough movement. You can put a chalk mark on one of the bolts to the rubber connector so that it can be put back together in the same position. Once the connector is disengaged, you should have enough room to remove the gear once the mounting bolts, hoses and pitman arm are removed. The roll pin that they are talking about is visible in the lower left corner of the second photo, you do not really need to remove that on this car unless the gear is being replaced and you can do that with the gear out of the car. The roll pin connection is clocked and will only go back together one way on a factory gear. While the gear is out, this would be a good time to add some grease to the lower column connector identified by the red hat after first checking it for excessive play. The red hat is a service gasket that indicates that the lower connector was probably rebuilt at some time. Factory units were black..

Dave

Also a good idea to replace the rag joint while the column is apart. You do not want that part to fail while you are driving.

Dave, I cannot thank you enough. I followed your directions and my gear and pump are out and ready to be rebuilt. mrfury, is the rag joint the rubber puck or the connector under the red gasket? Thanks.

Dave, I cannot thank you enough. I followed your directions and my gear and pump are out and ready to be rebuilt. mrfury, is the rag joint the rubber puck or the connector under the red gasket? Thanks.

If you are sending the unit out for a rebuild, remove the roll pin and take the lower connector off of the gear as the rebuilder will not supply a new one. Also check with the rebuilder as some also do not supply the power assist valve with a rebuilt unit, so if they do not, retain your old one, carefully scribe its position if you need to remove it because it is adjustable and needs to go back in exactly the same spot.. (that is the part the two hoses hood to and it is attached with two bolts) The rag joint is the hockey puck.

Dave

The fsm has the procedure to adjust the valve if you need to when you fire it back up

I'm using a local place in Pittsburgh called Power Brake X-Change. They are going to rebuild the pump and gear. Pump looks fine, but I'm going to get it done anyhow. Looks like they will service the power assist valve so I'll be leaving that on. Thanks for the help.

Back