Steering lock rod?

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
A previous owner had converted the shifting on my 70 300 convertible from factory column to console.
I’m going through and cleaning/lubing the steering column while it’s out of the car I noticed he had also pulled out all of the steering column lock parts from the factory column.
I have an extra column or 2 from Mopars laying around, so I reinstalled the wheel lock mechanism.
I realized once it was done that the old column shift collar needs to be in a specific position (park) for the wheel lockout to work.
Someone mentioned to me that on console shift cars there was a rod that went from the bottom of the column shift arm to the column, so that the lockout in the column would be “keyed” to the console shifter position, and when the console shift was in park, the steering column would register park as well so that the lockout would work.

is this correct? (I hope I explained that correctly!)

The lock rod is usually operated by the ign key cylinder "rack", rather than the shift linkage. Now, on many console cars, there was an extra item on the shift bowl which had to be rotated in order for the column to lock, as I recall. But it could have been mainly on manual trans B/E bodies?

You might check the steering column illustrations in the 1970 Chrysler parts book (www.mymopar.com) or a 1970 FSM at the same website, to be sure of what all should be there.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Someone mentioned to me that on console shift cars there was a rod that went from the bottom of the column shift arm to the column, so that the lockout in the column would be “keyed” to the console shifter position, and when the console shift was in park, the steering column would register park as well so that the lockout would work.

is this correct? (I hope I explained that correctly!)

Yes.

From 1970 to 1972, C bodies had extra linkage from the console shifter linkage to the steering column, so that the wheel would lock in park.

Since those parts were only used three years, they are not going to be easy to come by. You may want to check a service manual or parts book to see if they show a breakdown of the individual pieces.

Jeff

Back