Steering Wheel Guy

70Tom

Reaction score
So, I recently contacted Doug (aka Steering Wheel Guy) regarding getting a rim blow wheel restored. It's in pretty bad shape. With the carbon fiber technique he uses, he can actually repair it and make it better than new. However, the price tag is $1300 for full-restoration including a new switch.

Just wondering, has anyone used him for their wheel? While I'm sure it's super time consuming for him to do, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it to me to have a rim-blow steering wheel. I can just get the repop regular wheel from PG Classic for $200 and be done with it.

Any thoughts on this?

ya know, it depends on how much you need the money. Many of the restoration service cost, make a good point for buying repro, but if your the type of guy that's got to have original, ie starter rebuilds $300. or water pump rebuild for $150. when none of these parts can be seen. just makes you feel better knowing your 100% Mopar?

Well, I'm definitely on a budget at the moment. If I did get it restored, it'd be down the road when I have some extra cash I think. I guess another option is hold out for one in nice shape. However, living in AZ, I have no doubt that it would eventually crack as well. Plus, the switches on these usually seem to be junk as the rubber hardens and then ends up ruining the switch.

What would your life be like if you didn't have a Rim - blow?
Any different? No, I didn't think so.
Get the repop. ☺️

What would your life be like if you didn't have a Rim - blow?
Any different? No, I didn't think so.
Get the repop. ☺️

Your sitting by your car at a car show and the couple walking pass says" Look Ed, he doesn't have the original rim blow like us" HaHaHa

It was a hard one for me to swallow as well, $1300 for a steering wheel. In my case a full recast of a white wheel for my car, night and day difference with the painted option. With me the white steering wheel is a signature piece of the CHP cars and it had to be right, repos in white are not available.

If your car originally had the rim-blow and it is important to be correct then you have an answer. But is the car ready for a $1300 steering wheel? Maybe the money is best put elsewhere and when the last thing needed is the wheel then take the $200 wheel off and replace it with the $1300 one.

Alan

It was a hard one for me to swallow as well, $1300 for a steering wheel. In my case a full recast of a white wheel for my car, night and day difference with the painted option. With me the white steering wheel is a signature piece of the CHP cars and it had to be right, repos in white are not available.

If your car originally had the rim-blow and it is important to be correct then you have an answer. But is the car ready for a $1300 steering wheel? Maybe the money is best put elsewhere and when the last thing needed is the wheel then take the $200 wheel off and replace it with the $1300 one.

Alan
That's a good way to look at it. My car did not originally have a rim blow wheel (I just like how they look), and the repop is available. So it really isn't necessary at all. I'm definitely leaning towards the repop now. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

My restore got expensive factory original parts only if they couldn't be easily swapped later. That's the reason why I don't have a fancy steering wheel and things like a $600 washer bottle.
Rim blow, while sexy is really a bad idea in areas with really hot and/or really cold weather. At -40F (-40C) few of our monster steering wheels survive because they are so large in circumference the plastic shrinks quite a bit more than the steel core. Most end up with multiple radial splits ranging from hairline to 1/8". Hot weather and mega sun causes buckling. There is a reason why modern cars use wrapped wheels - cracks don't show.
Put your hard earned dollars into areas that are a pain to get at and you never want to do again!

Are we talking about The Steering Wheel Guy up here in Edmonton AB? I've been planning to send him my rim blow for restoration but not at $1300....

Fortunately, it is now 2017 and we have choices.

hello-kitty-steering-wheel-cover-3003fg1.jpg

It's worth it. The Rim blow wheels are thicker and gives a nicer feel compared with a factory installed 3 spoke wheel.

It is nice to have the exterior look good, however as you enjoy driving the car, you see the wheel the most, then the dash. Make yourself comfortable and happy, do the wheel

Check with D&D in NC. They recast my "aero" wheel for my 61 Fury. Expensive, but the wheel is a focal point and was original equipment on my car. They will use updated materials and the threat of deterioration is almost none. Outstanding quality.
61 aero wheel front.JPG
aero wheel 3.JPG

Guys going for "showroom new", 13 hundred is a small %-age of the total tab and it needs to be done. For everybody else, it's a luxury.
Where the line between necessity and luxury stops and starts varies from person to person.
A 25 hundred dollar car gets 5k in wheels and stereo before brakes with a lot if people.

Back