Steering wheel removal 69 Fury III

Reaction score
68548953-D76A-4651-9088-142C78B777BB.jpeg
C6B75C4F-A57D-4252-8D8F-9577929ECE64.jpeg
How do I get to the steering wheel nut? It appears that the front cover is snapped in place.

it appears that this one snaps in but may interface to the steering wheel differently.

Any help will be appreciated.
683E3B42-F87E-483C-93A0-75D822F73CA6.jpeg

I am pulling the wheel because I don’t have any brake lights. Turn signals work, so I suspect that the turn signal switch is garfed…

Thank you
Got the cover off and will proceed with the horn buttons.
I had purchased a different horn button (see below - scrawled new to me) and it appears that I am missing at least one more piece to attach the new to me part?
7DE30770-44C6-4DAA-8626-23EA872B7C0A.jpeg
B5DFA7F2-77CE-4E28-B3A7-DE677C27CDA4.jpeg
C197F4AB-FC8A-4E14-BA8F-04E52E09AD3F.jpeg

If anyone has a definitive answer for the replacement turn signal switch, I would be grateful for a link.
I believe that the replacement is red and covers 67-69 like the picture below:

79E556FE-B767-4BBB-B950-A6670D6B02C0.png

I think your issue is, your car had been retrofit with a 71-73 style steering wheel and the one you bought is a correct 69 style.

when I get home from work I can take a photo of the style of steering wheel you need for the 69 style. I'm fairly sure I have one in my shed still.

Nick

I think your issue is, your car had been retrofit with a 71-73 style steering wheel and the one you bought is a correct 69 style.

when I get home from work I can take a photo of the style of steering wheel you need for the 69 style. I'm fairly sure I have one in my shed still.

Nick
I wouldn’t be surprised if the wheel is non standard. I am discovering additional modifications that make my head hurt.
I have found the key in the ignition circuit (buzzer) to be completely bypassed, the brake signal from the brake valve to be disconnected in the cabin and I am sure that there will be more.
Body and mechanically, the vehicle is very nice, but electrically, I am uncovering a mess.

do you have the additional attachment components too?

Last edited:
I just finished putting in a new switch in my 69. Fury. The one in your picture is for telescopic columns. Mine is not and I used this
When I pulled my original I found 1 wire had worn thru the casing to bare metal. Sometimes it would ground out, sometimes not. Plus one of the cancel cams was cracked. I'll warn you though that this replacement works fine but does NOT seem robust. The plastic seems thinner and the wires a smaller gauge. I would have just patched up the exposed wire if I didn't think the old plastic was going to break anyway.

There are a few threads here about these parts and NOS originals. Depends on the money.

upload_2021-7-21_12-45-4.png

If its just brake lights dont forget to check this switch at the base of the column. For me it had just slipped from its mount and the plunger was sliding off the pedal when pushed.

upload_2021-7-21_12-55-51.png

Brake light switch has been checked out and is good.
My suspicion is that the turn signal switch is garbage and I fully expect that I will find a cobbled mess inside the column. Just bought a wheel puller, so the surprise is forthcoming…

Check out this post I did a while back. Pretty good picks of removal and install of the replacement 69 Fury wheel. Kind of exactly what you’re doing...

93C52BE5-7FA3-405E-83BC-B707021CD44A.jpeg

I took the turn signal switch apart and it looks well used. I was able to get the passenger side brake lights to work after bending the wire that’s riveted to the directional portion of the switch. However, no joy on the driver’s side, except when I jumpered both sides.

17B31782-0C5C-4E89-8159-EAACDB036A13.jpeg

I ordered a replacement switch from Classic Industries Classic Industries | Restoration Parts | Mopar Parts | Camaro Parts | Firebird Parts | Nova Parts | Impala Parts | Chevy C10 Parts | Tri-Five Chevy Parts, part number MD2139.

I suspect that much will straighten out upon installation of the replacement switch.
I will post an update at that time.

I installed a new switch and I now have passenger side brake lights.
Driver’s side still inoperable.
I started removing the instrument panel and it appears that I have to drop the steering column.

My suspicion is that either the emergency flasher or light switches are bad.
Flashers work, except for the driver’s side rear.
Headlight switch also makes the turn signal act odd on the driver’s side.

I have the manual and a laminated schematic.

I will post an update when I get back to working on it.

One other oddity is that the instrument panel turn signal indicators seem to be wired backwards, in that they are on when I put the ignition switch in acc or run.

I don’t think there’s a grounding problem, but will check them as I go and keep it in the back of my mind.

Last edited:
if i remember correctly there are 4 pins on the back of the flasher switch. the wires don't have a plug but they are 4 individual wires that can be connected to any of the pins, so you might be on to something there. that might fix your dash lights too.
the brake lights aren't independent of each other. both come on at the same time, so if one works the other should. if your bulbs are good in the left tail light, i would try to pull each bulb one at a time and ground the sockets to something and see if they light up.

Driver’s side turn signal works with the headlight switch off.
Emergency flasher and brake light do not work on the driver’s side.
Emergency flasher connection is one connector.

Back