sterring shaft coupler

stain

Reaction score
After getting my 64 Newport out this year I feel like there too much play in my steering wheel. The tie rods/pitman arm are good and after adjusting my steering box the play is in the steering shaft. Who makes a coupler repair/upgrade kit? is there a schematic of the coupler somewhere?
Thanks for any insight.

The normal steering gear adjustment (on the top side, stud and jam nut) is only ONE adjustment, but usually the one most people know about.

As you turn the steering wheel, look at the input side of the gear and notice if the shaft moves in and out of the gearbox as you turn it in "free play", either direction from "center". THAT's where the "top side/input side" adjustment is. Detailed in the FSM, needing a big spanner wrench "Special Tool" to adjust. Even with the other adjustment adjusted tight enough that the steering wheel will not auto-return from a turn, that "top side" slack will still be there. So ensure that the steering will still self-center on its own after a turn!

Still, though, it could be in the coupler mechanism. Seems like somebody makes a kit to do that, even with some upgrades to a later model?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The rubber coupler is termed "RAG joint". OE type are very expensive (>$100) if you can find them and the rubber may be old. Decades ago, when mine separated in my 65 Newport, I had a local gasket & rubber place in Atlanta cut me a disk w/ holes to use & has been fine since. I later saw the same in Help line at auto parts, but for Ford & such and maybe not close enough. But, a better solution is a very similar-looking RAG joint for another car (Jeep?) that only costs ~$10. I bought one a few years ago for when convenient to install. Google for the info. Insure that you run a ground strap around the rubber (I used a wire on the new disc). If not, your horn won't work. BTW, I think only C-bodies had these rubber isolators. A-bodies have just the sliding metal coupler. That is better for road feel. I think some have replaced the RAG with a metal U-joint steering coupler (Borgensen after-market?).

There was one on ebay a while back. They wanted ~200 for it. Seems expensive but your car can't move without it.

The rubber coupler is termed "RAG joint". OE type are very expensive (>$100) if you can find them and the rubber may be old. Decades ago, when mine separated in my 65 Newport, I had a local gasket & rubber place in Atlanta cut me a disk w/ holes to use & has been fine since. I later saw the same in Help line at auto parts, but for Ford & such and maybe not close enough. But, a better solution is a very similar-looking RAG joint for another car (Jeep?) that only costs ~$10. I bought one a few years ago for when convenient to install. Google for the info. Insure that you run a ground strap around the rubber (I used a wire on the new disc). If not, your horn won't work. BTW, I think only C-bodies had these rubber isolators. A-bodies have just the sliding metal coupler. That is better for road feel. I think some have replaced the RAG with a metal U-joint steering coupler (Borgensen after-market?).
My husband used one out of a Land Rover for my 65 Plymouth Sport Fury...He said there are kits to rebuild the coupler. not too expensive to rebuild

Back