Sticky lifter

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Found a collapsed lifter on the pass side....which explains the slight tapping sound I can hear. I can push one of the rocker arms on cyl #4 up and down ever so slightly. I'm gonna remove it and replace it and the rest with a fresh set for standard Chrysler "b" engine.....can I get away with keeping the same cam? Its barely a year old...it would suck if I have to replace it...really don't want to get into pulling the a/c components and everything else to get to the cam if it can be avoided. I don't expect to find bent push rods or anything either, the motor runs pretty good aside from the sticking lifter.

There's a magnetic tool for removing the lifters from the bores?

Get back at me.

IMG_9892.jpgIMG_9894.jpgIMG_9895.jpgIMG_9896.jpgIMG_9897.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

IMG_9895.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9897.jpg

What's up with the gloves? LOL! Just kidding Gary. You should be fine replacing the lifters.

I grabbed a few pair from the hospital,:wtg:...figured they would come in handy,lol.So it's relatively simple then, pull out the existing lifters, lube up the new ones, set the preload and drop em' in place...excluding any problems like bent rods or egg shaped rockers arm holes?

Yes, just swap the lifters, unless you've been doing some serious RPMs with that 383 and you think the cam needs replacing. If it's only been ticking for a short time, then there should be no ill effects to the cam. O doubt you'll have a bent push rod or badly worn lifter bore...in my experience these engines are pretty well bullet proof in stock iterations if you keep oil in them. If you get radical in the modifications (alterered valve spring geometry and radical cam profiles) then they can have failures like anything alse (but then again you're flogging the engine and probably racing if you do those mods).

Since you engine looks pretty stock to me, I think you'll have no problems. I had a 78 NYB that developed a lifter tick and I did the lifter transplant and it ran perfectly thereafter for the remainder of the time I had the car.

Yes, just swap the lifters, unless you've been doing some serious RPMs with that 383 and you think the cam needs replacing. If it's only been ticking for a short time, then there should be no ill effects to the cam. O doubt you'll have a bent push rod or badly worn lifter bore...in my experience these engines are pretty well bullet proof in stock iterations if you keep oil in them. If you get radical in the modifications (alterered valve spring geometry and radical cam profiles) then they can have failures like anything alse (but then again you're flogging the engine and probably racing if you do those mods).

Since you engine looks pretty stock to me, I think you'll have no problems. I had a 78 NYB that developed a lifter tick and I did the lifter transplant and it ran perfectly thereafter for the remainder of the time I had the car.
Nope, nothing exotic or crazy going on in there. At 95 mph I'm still a hair under or over 3000 rpm (can't remember which). I don't push it any further than that now. I did go over that a couple times last fall only to see if it could do it. It did and that satisfied my curiosity.

Do you have a magnet or lifter extractor? It looks like you are not going to pull the intake...

Do you have a magnet or lifter extractor? It looks like you are not going to pull the intake...
No. That's what I was wondering about.....I thought there was a tool sort of like a flat head screw driver with a magnet at the end to pull lifters out of the bore holes.......is that the same?

Ever see pools of oil form on top of the valley pan? Last time I had the intake off it was clean as a whistle - you could almost eat off it. This time, not so much.

IMG_9911.jpg

How's your oil pressure sending unit...wet? Looks like its starting to go.

So what made you decide to pull the intake?

How's your oil pressure sending unit...wet? Looks like its starting to go.

Starting to go..... If it is squirting oil that high up and under the intake.. It's already gone. :drowning:

Back