Sticky lifter

I actually was unsure if they would fit through the head, I think I tried it once recently and had to abort the mission because they wouldn't fit through the casting on a '71 440.

Here's the noisy lifter........you'll noticed the bottom is "dished" shape. This is was the culprit...........the rest of them buggers were flat as a board

IMG_9958.jpg

suggest best way to set hydraulic lifter pre-load? They've been submerged in oil for more than a few days now, no bubbles. ready to go.

Yah.
Right end up of course. LMAO
It's a stock hydraulic. No pre-load adjustment needed with existing cam and valve train.
If it will make you feel better, put some pre-lube on each end.

Yah.
Right end up of course. LMAO
It's a stock hydraulic. No pre-load adjustment needed with existing cam and valve train.
If it will make you feel better, put some pre-lube on each end.
Ya, gonna lube these things up real good. Just thought I'd have to pre-set them before setting them. Great, I can button her all back up in a jiffy.

Actually, it's a MP 383/440 magnum grind cam as opposed to the original stock cam but I don think that should make any difference.

Are you sure that cam lobe didn't go flat, with that much wear on the lifter there must be some material gone from the cam.

Gary, got a dial indicator? He made an excellent point......
Yeah, I can grab one from next door neighbor....figured I could tell if a lobe got wiped though...no problems with performance, just damn tapping constantly...and it wasn't really that loud.

Damn, Bob called me on two different phones looking for you, worried about you and that engine.

I guess they thought you were going to blow the engine.... I didnt call him back because I dont know exactly where you live, what could I do?

All buttoned back up.....bolts torqued to 25 ft lbs. Since the motor in the car guess best way to check everything out is to turn it over with the starter? Kind of hard to get something down on the crank to turn by hand....the mini will spin it with barely any effort...

IMG_9965.jpg

All buttoned back up.....bolts torqued to 25 ft lbs. Since the motor in the car guess best way to check everything out is to turn it over with the starter? Kind of hard to get something down on the crank to turn by hand....the mini will spin it with barely any effort...
Bad idea?? Figured that's the only way to check things out at this point without having to put everything back together and sealing it up.....?

Back