Stiff brake pedal.........1966 Chrysler Newport

5fty7vn

Reaction score
I drove my Newport this morning with no issues but this afternoon I took it out again and noticed the brake is really stiff and the braking has become really slow. When I first step on the pedal the car doesn't slow down at all until I "stomp" on it.......and even then it takes longer than it normally would. Any thoughts?

Yeah it has fluid in it..........what I thought was weird was the front "compartment" has a higher level than the rear side does. Not by much but it was noticeable. Another thing that we've been dealing with is when the brake pedal is used it seems like there is more brakes in the rear than in the front. If I ever had to come to a quick stop the front doesn't seem to "squat" like you would normally see on a vehicle......i.e. someone speeding and then noticing a police car......... :busted:

I'm ok, now.
It's the booster. :D
LOL.......ok.
Just went out to try and start it and I got nothing...........not even a click from the starter. It's done this several times but it eventually starts. I know the battery is fully charged because all of the lights and other electric stuff work and light up just fine. Thought initially it was the starter but I wouldn't think the car would even start if that went out. Could it have something to do with the transmission shifter not being "aligned" just right............as if it were still in reverse or in gear (although even if it is in park I cant move the car)........

LOL.......ok.
Just went out to try and start it and I got nothing Could it have something to do with the transmission shifter not being "aligned" just right............as if it were still in reverse or in gear (although even if it is in park I cant move the car)........

That's a very likely cause of the no start issue. Try shifting to "N" and see if the starter engages, Or hold the key in the start position and "jiggle" the shift lever when in "P"
You can also verify by jumping the relay where the + battery cable attaches, to the nearest spade terminal. should crank then.

That's a very likely cause of the no start issue. Try shifting to "N" and see if the starter engages, Or hold the key in the start position and "jiggle" the shift lever when in "P"
You can also verify by jumping the relay where the + battery cable attaches, to the nearest spade terminal. should crank then.

Just tried this method and I still get nothing whether it's in "P" or "N".............i'll have to try the jumping method. Only bad thing is I have a shelf built in the garage and the front of the car drives in underneath so I won't be able to open the hood very far...........and my driveway is up on an incline so I can't push it out too far because there is no way i'll get it back in the garage if it's out too far and I can't get it to start......LOL.......:BangHead:

Does the amp meter pointer move at all when you try to start....? Try the switch with the lights on.... do they dim....? If not it's likely not the starter.

The netural safety switch sounds suspect. As does the ign switch or perhaps the relay.

Put a big wood block on the floor and roll the car to it.... enough to get the hood open....?

Does the amp meter pointer move at all when you try to start....? Try the switch with the lights on.... do they dim....? If not it's likely not the starter.

The netural safety switch sounds suspect. As does the ign switch or perhaps the relay.

Put a big wood block on the floor and roll the car to it.... enough to get the hood open....?

I'm so baffled right now.............I went to run some errands and literally have not laid a finger on the car for several hours. I come home and the car started...............I have no clue what this is about........

Back