Stock 383 2 bbl to 4 bbl swap.

OneEyed

Reaction score
Got started on the disassembly. Everything seems to going pretty smooth so far. I'll see if I can get these pics posted.

20161024_190239.jpg

Just getting started, air cleaner off...

Here's with the carb and intake removed showing the valley pan.
20161025_191633.jpg

This was on the valley pan. Must have been something to help minimize heat transfer?
20161025_193037.jpg

Valley pan off. Wasn't expecting to see internal parts! Learn something new everyday. A LOT of sludge in there, must have been StopLeak crap...
20161025_193412.jpg

I've been writing down everything I remove or loosen along with what goes where along the way. By the time it's all done, I should have a pretty decent "step by step" process to share. I'll also have a list of parts bought/needed to complete the swap. And hopefully more pics too!

Here's the old intake still intact
20161024_200847.jpg
with the carb removed. It's pretty gross!

Now that all the old junk is out of the way, I thought it'd be fun to do a quick pic with the TM6 and 1406 in place.
20161025_203016.jpg

However, the TM6 is just for show, I've got a 2186 on the way that I do plan on using instead. When I get more time, I'll check to see how well this setup would actually fit though. So far, it looks like it'll clear the A/C...
That's all for today though.

The purpose of the tinfoil wrapped insulation was to act as an engine noise suppressant, it does look ugly. I'm sure you'll file it in the appropriate recycle bin.

Yep and don't put the metal plate back on that was across the front of the valley pan either. As long as the insulation packet is gone you might as well allow air to move under the intake.

The purpose of the tinfoil wrapped insulation was to act as an engine noise suppressant, it does look ugly. I'm sure you'll file it in the appropriate recycle bin.
The insulation pad is there for a reason, it's not an engine noise suppressant. It keeps the carb and fuel cooler so it doesn't vapor lock and make it easier to start when the engine is hot. I mistakenly took mine out not knowing what it's purpose was and had fuel related problems as vapor lock and hard starts. I put it back in and the problems went away. Just my .02 cents worth

So its original that tinwrap insulation. :wideyed: I was like WTF.. who put this junk in here, when took intake manifold off on my Newport.

You really didn't fall for that 'clothespins on the gas line' myth, did you?
I did! Lol, It actually seemed to help too. Clothes pins are gone now though. Hopefully now I'll find a proper solution to help hot starts.

Does the valley pan keep oil from splashing up? there was always a constant puddle of oil on top and I found a few holes in the pan itself. Plus aside from the pan there were no other gaskets and each bolt was covered in black sludge. Just trying to fix my oil leaks too, I'm sure most of it is still the valve covers.

You really didn't fall for that 'clothespins on the gas line' myth, did you?
I haven't tried it myself yet but Will insists that it does work and it's not just a myth.

Will has regressed back to 1970. I'm going to start calling him Dr. Who. lol ! !

I'm sure he has a couple of magic screwdrivers in the tool box...but which DR is he?

I'm thinking this one with the soul patch....
IMG_5600.JPG

Back