Stock 440 with a blower.

Joseph James

Reaction score
Cool video. Dude says he’s done nothing other than put the blower on, changed cam and fiddle with the carbs. 440 from a 78 New Yorker.

8.2 /1 compression ratio and 9 psi boost. No problem and with cast iron heads. Could run on pump premium but not sure. My Omni runs about 8/1 but is a aluminum head and is a turbo. Only problem with this setup to me is either no hood or cut it. Ralph is cool,,,,,,[the owner of this beast]

There are probably other low-profile sc units now, as many OEMs use them. Edelbrock has one? Or the old Latham coax sc unit, with side-draft carbs?

Every time I see a street car with a 6-71 sticking through the hood, I wonder about the owner's brain cells. Much better to find a unit that will fit under the existing hood. That "sleeper effect".

Perhaps a Paxton unit adaptation would be good?

CBODY67

There are probably other low-profile sc units now, as many OEMs use them. Edelbrock has one? Or the old Latham coax sc unit, with side-draft carbs?

Every time I see a street car with a 6-71 sticking through the hood, I wonder about the owner's brain cells. Much better to find a unit that will fit under the existing hood. That "sleeper effect".

CBODY67

just looked up the 6-71 at jets. About $4k!

I wouldn’t want a hole in my hood, either.

Of course there are belt driven superchargers that fit under the hood. They look like half a turbo. Obviously this guy liked the look . Check out the early 1960's Avanti. Supercharged from the factory under the hood.

Early 60's Avanti
3b76276db2d1257d73c9135ae699071c.jpg

I have to disagree with the nay-sayers. The whole point of the 6-71 (AND 8-71) blowers is to show off. It is insanely stupid horsepower, so show it off. I am putting an 8-71 Dyers supercharger on a 9:1 stroker big block for my 65 Sport Fury convertible. I have a spare hood so I don't really care if I have to cut a hole for the blower (I already cut it for the tunnel ram). I LOVE my C body and I don't really care what others think. Love it or hate it, but they are certainly going to remember my tail lights!

I am not knocking it, blowers can be very cool.
What ever floats your boat is all. You running it on pump gas or race fuel? What power do you expect or have with this setup?

Last edited:

CBODY67

I have to disagree with the nay-sayers. The whole point of the 6-71 (AND 8-71) blowers is to show off. It is insanely stupid horsepower, so show it off. I am putting an 8-71 Dyers supercharger on a 9:1 stroker big block for my 65 Sport Fury convertible. I have a spare hood so I don't really care if I have to cut a hole for the blower (I already cut it for the tunnel ram). I LOVE my C body and I don't really care what others think. Love it or hate it, but they are certainly going to remember my tail lights!
I love an old school 6/871 sticking through the hood! My buddy has one in his '73 Barracuda, it's awesome! That's the point, as @Badvert65 said. He loves his car and has rebuilt it several times. Can't all look stock, and I always love a sleeper.

IMG_20180916_120154.jpg

I have aluminum heads and I am running 91ish octane. Likely have 800 +/- 100 HP (numbers don't really matter). The key is the camshaft in applications like this. Do your homework and just have fun with it.

There was a guy that used to be in our Mopar club. He had a '66 Coronet conv with '67 Charger quarter panels on it (rust repair). He had a 6-71 on a rebuilt 440. When he was at a big drag race event (local), we soon found out that he didn't have a SureGrip. Smoked the right rear tire the entire length of the 1/4 drag strip. Wasn't that fast, but he smiled at the smoke show he put on. Be that as it may.

Personally, I'd hate to have to look around that blower (or tall tunnel ram) while driving the car on the street. But that's just me.

Y'all's money, your cars, enjoy!
CBODY67

Well, in a 65 Fury, the tunnel ram doesn't stick up that high. The blower will be a little higher (by about 2 inches), but still not that bad. It would be shorter without the scoop on the carbs, but where's the fun in that.

That’s the great thing about our cars-we can do what we like best. My Fury is my transportation on a daily basis. I like the car as is. I saw a Fury on YouTube where the guy cut a round hole in the hood for his air cleaner to stick out. Not sure why it was so high.

just curious-what kind of fuel mileage do you get running a blower?

just curious-what kind of fuel mileage do you get running a blower?

OOF! That's a tough call. With 3.91 sure grip and the dual carb setup, maybe 10-12 mpg. I don't really 'behave' as much as I should so it could be better (but is usually a LOT worse). When I am really having fun it is more like 3-4 mpg.
jus sayin.....

I like the look of that and can appreciate both. For me there's a beauty and reverence in simplicity, stock builds, resto mods and any other kind of build. Somewhat artistic honestly. Someone on this forum once told me the only person you have to appease with your car is yourself. If you're happy with it, the rest be damned.

I like the look of that and can appreciate both. For me there's a beauty and reverence in simplicity, stock builds, resto mods and any other kind of build. Somewhat artistic honestly. Someone on this forum once told me the only person you have to appease with your car is yourself. If you're happy with it, the rest be damned.

That's right, when they own it and plate it, they can ***** about it. Until then, WGAF what their opinion is.

Back