Stock converter sources

mag162

Reaction score
So when I had the tranny rebuilt in my wagon I made the huge mistake of grabbing a 3500 stall speed converter that was NIB from Craigslist. Not realizing what I was doing I had it installed and this is a street car that doesn’t need that size converter. I wanna replace it with a stock converter that came on the 67 Fury wagon with a 440 and a 727. Help me again please!

So when I had the tranny rebuilt in my wagon I made the huge mistake of grabbing a 3500 stall speed converter that was NIB from Craigslist. Not realizing what I was doing I had it installed and this is a street car that doesn’t need that size converter. I wanna replace it with a stock converter that came on the 67 Fury wagon with a 440 and a 727. Help me again please!

727 convertors are still available thru FCA. Failing that any transmission rebuild parts supplier can supply the correct reman unit.

Dave

The best place you can possibly go to for all things torque converter is Hughes in Phoenix. FCA might have them but can the guy that answers the phone really help and advise you?

318 to 340 or 360, all things big block & full race, internal vs external balance whatever combo you can come up with these guys know it all. They also specialize in conversion flex plates so you can mix and match just about anything. Give them a try, these guys have never failed me. Satisfied customer since 1984. Good luck bud.

hughesperformance.com

A9BC2314-7B0A-48C4-A1F9-5F4BD9AE1028.jpeg

X2 the Hughes recommendation.
BTW..is your engine stock? what rear gears ratio you running?
What is the trans doing now that you do not like?
Just curious.
An example where I am going with this is..what a 3500 stall can do in a 2900lb A body will act differently in a 4200lb C body,LOL

X2 the Hughes recommendation.
BTW..is your engine stock? what rear gears ratio you running?
What is the trans doing now that you do not like?
Just curious.
An example where I am going with this is..what a 3500 stall can do in a 2900lb A body will act differently in a 4200lb C body,LOL
The engine is a 440 with a mild cam and a 750 DP. I wanna be able to get on the highway and be in a normal RPM range. Right now I'm at 2900 at 55mph. I will also be swapping the Rear gears to 3.23 at the same time

The engine is a 440 with a mild cam and a 750 DP. I wanna be able to get on the highway and be in a normal RPM range. Right now I'm at 2900 at 55mph. I will also be swapping the Rear gears to 3.23 at the same time
What gear ratio are you running now?

Try the 3.23's first.
Easier swapping the pig than pulling the trans at this point.
See how the trans reacts.
Being a heavy car as I mentioned,the flash will be at a lower RPM than the 3500 listed. More like 2800/3000.
If you had not done so already,I recommend a trans oil cooler and makesure the kickdown/throttle linkage is adjusted properly
Give that a shot (pun intended) and follow up.

Back