Stock speaker locations?

Edison

Reaction score
This summer I'm trying to get some tunes in my car for cruising, but I'm wondering what were all the stock speaker locations? I'm working with a 66 Newport four door. We're still under snow so I haven't been able to driver her for a little while but last I checked looked like there was a space in the dash, on the passenger side. Where else would they be mounted from the factor? Kick panels? In the trunk under the rear shelf behind back seat? I know you can basically stick em anywhere you want with a little fabbing, but I'm just trying to figure out where they would have been originally.

Thanks!

That's about it. They didn't do stereo back then. You want stereo , you're either cutting or surface mounting. In the end it's just metal and your car, mount em how you like em.

Works for me. One in the dash will be good enough for me. Just enough for me to check the weather and traffic on the radio when I'm cruising! Thanks 67Monaco!

I bought a stock AM radio from a 65 Newport to send off and have modern guts put inside it (so I could just put the factory radio from my actual car on a shelf for keep sakes purposes). My plan is shaping up to be just that with an AM/FM receiver and AUX input to play some era appropriate tunes (since commercial radio is garbage) with speakers in the stock location. I was going to have someone do it, because I get super nervous digging into my Newport. But I guess with this set up, and just using the stock dash location I should be able to handle it.

The stock dash speaker location looks to be square so I'll dig around here to see what off the shelf speakers folks were able to put in there.

Thanks! Based on Google pics looks like that would fit.

Only a few more days until we are back into the 50's and 60's here and this looks to be our last day of snow. Can't wait till I can ACTUALLY go out to the car and play around myself. lol

I can't tell you what's in the dash of a '66, but the in-dash speaker in my '71 appears to be a 4"x10". I was considering cutting a piece of sheet metal, plexiglass or even "Masonite" to fit the opening and then mounting a pair of 3.5" Co-Axials that I own in that 4"x10" opening.
001 (5).jpg
Just an idea that I thought I'd share. :)

The '71 also has two openings in the rear shelf. The openings appear to be for 6"x9" speakers. My car never had speakers installed there though.

001 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the stock AM radio model number was in 66 Newports? The one I bought has Model 365 on the bottom in black ink. As far as the face and knobs go, they look similar to the one in my dash but I haven't pulled the one in my car yet so I was just making a guess. The one I bought came out of a 65 Newport, so I figured they would be the same.

Does anyone know what the stock AM radio model number was in 66 Newports? The one I bought has Model 365 on the bottom in black ink. As far as the face and knobs go, they look similar to the one in my dash but I haven't pulled the one in my car yet so I was just making a guess. The one I bought came out of a 65 Newport, so I figured they would be the same.

A quick check in my parts manual, safely hidden in the hermetically-sealed secret panel behind my back-bar, reveals the following information;

MODEL PART NUMBER

365 Deluxe, Chrysler AM 2580 878
366 FM, AM, Chrysler 2580 879
416 Search Tune, Chrysler 2580 880

And, for that 'Concert Hall Sound', who could forget the:

Reverberation Package, Rear Compartment 2820 538

That reverb package would be a great find. Every Chrysler product my folks had in the 60's had that.
Well, now that the book is safely tucked away behind the back bar, I can get back to the business in front of it! Sorry, no pics. The book says these are different from Imperial or other models. Chrysler models only

Best Regards,

Stew

I can't tell you what's in the dash of a '66, but the in-dash speaker in my '71 appears to be a 4"x10". I was considering cutting a piece of sheet metal, plexiglass or even "Masonite" to fit the opening and then mounting a pair of 3.5" Co-Axials that I own in that 4"x10" opening.
View attachment 47523
Just an idea that I thought I'd share. :)

The '71 also has two openings in the rear shelf. The openings appear to be for 6"x9" speakers. My car never had speakers installed there though.

Here's what I did. I made this from a MDF crate I found on the shipping dock. I had some cheap Polk Audio speakers that I used.

2013-06-18182805_zpsb5c7bb84.jpg

2013-06-18190908_zpsb5609cfb.jpg

2013-06-18190923_zpsc8f6208a.jpg

Yup, that's it. Thanks Big John! That looks very nice, by the way.

I haven't gotten around to installing tunes yet. Are you using these speakers by themselves or do you have other speakers in your car too?

Back