Stop Light Switch adjustment?

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi. Looked in the FSM, couldn't find anything.

Is there any adjustment possible to the stoplight switch of a '66 Chrysler? My brake lights don't come on until the pedal is about halfway depressed, and that leaves me without brake lights for light applications of the pedal.

Wondering if can adjust it or do I just need a new switch. Thank you!

Hi. Looked in the FSM, couldn't find anything.

Is there any adjustment possible to the stoplight switch of a '66 Chrysler? My brake lights don't come on until the pedal is about halfway depressed, and that leaves me without brake lights for light applications of the pedal.

Wondering if can adjust it or do I just need a new switch. Thank you!
You can either bend it back or use a 1/4 inch ratchet nd socket on the switch's adjustable bracket.
Hope this helps.

You can either bend it back or use a 1/4 inch ratchet nd socket on the switch's adjustable bracket.
Hope this helps.
I'll have to crawl under there (joy) and take a look to see if I can find the adjusting bracket. Did a quick search on eBay and found 3 or 4 different styles of brackets that all claimed to be for 66, so now I have no idea what part to order. Visual inspection is clearly in order. Thanks!

I'll have to crawl under there (joy) and take a look to see if I can find the adjusting bracket. Did a quick search on eBay and found 3 or 4 different styles of brackets that all claimed to be for 66, so now I have no idea what part to order. Visual inspection is clearly in order. Thanks!
No real need to order.
If it is working, just needs adjustment.

Rather than trying to lay across the sill plate (and the highly-varying elevations), slide in and put your legs over the seat back, which will put your shoulders much more squarely on the floor pan. MUCH easier and comfortable, to me. Just do NOT stay there very long for "blood running downhill" issues.

Typically I will take the front seat out for these jobs.

Where it bolts on there is a slotted hole to adjust it.

loosen bolt, slide the bracket where you want it, tighten.

If you have to replace it get an adjustable one thats threaded with adjustment screws or better yet add a brass t fitting to your brake line at the master cylinder and put an electric pressure switch in wired with the two wires fed thru the firewall.

Where it bolts on there is a slotted hole to adjust it.

loosen bolt, slide the bracket where you want it, tighten.
I did not see a slotted hole, but I will look again. Is my brake pedal lever supposed to have this notch in it where the switch fits in?

FB9A4BDA-7099-40D6-B899-487B9124ED82.jpeg

Back