Store bought or homemade tape for timing?

GG-1

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've heard that the store bought tape tends to be way off, as much as 8 degrees sometimes.. myth?
Recommended brands?
Is it better to make your own?

How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

Alex

It's all relative, my engine tuner only uses the marks as a starting point, the actual number is not important.

Alan

It's all relative, my engine tuner only uses the marks as a starting point, the actual number is not important.

Alan
Soon I'll be setting the timing on my car for the first time. How do I measure/determine the degree of advance without tape? Don't I risk severely over advancing the total timing and detonation/blowing a piston? I'm still figuring this out in my head, lol.

Last edited:
Get the store bought tape, it is close enough.

Most cars have reference marks on the timing cover, check the service manual for what the increment is.

Alan

Soon I'll be setting the timing on my car for the first time. How do I measure/determine the degree of advance without tape? Don't I risk severely over advancing the total timing and detonation/blowing a piston? I'm still figuring this out in my head, lol.
If your distributor is stock, no. Just keep adding a couple degrees at a time until it starts knockin, then just dial back 2-3 degrees till it stops, clamp it down and go.

If your distributor is stock, no. Just keep adding a couple degrees at a time until it starts knockin, then just dial back 2-3 degrees till it stops, clamp it down and go.
Thanks.. and yes, everything on the car is stock. How will I set initial timing? It's a 383 4bbl..
couldn't that be anywhere from 12-16?

You don't need timing tape to set initial timing. The marks are already there on the timing tab.

If you bought a "dial back" type timing light, you don't need timing tape to check total timing.

ya this is some of dem dere fundamentals

yall need to know this. get you a cheapass timing light from HFT. one with an adjusto dial is best, spend the extra 6 bucks. you can use any strobelight, but go get the timing light. take good care of it and it will last you a whole long time.

use the light to see where you are at now before changes, and goof around with it until you understand whats doin.

now -

when you twist the distributor 1 way, the motor will run out - advanced - listen to it. it is telling you. just listen to it.

now twist the other way. the motor will tighten up, you are getting the motor in a bind, don't go to far this direction. stop turning as soon as you recognize it.

again, listen to the motor. it will tell you.

once you do this enough, you will be able to do it without a light.

try not to die -

- saylor

It's chinesium no matter how you slice it so you may as well keep the cabbage in your pocket.

ya this is some of dem dere fundamentals

yall need to know this. get you a cheapass timing light from HFT. one with an adjusto dial is best, spend the extra 6 bucks. you can use any strobelight, but go get the timing light. take good care of it and it will last you a whole long time.

use the light to see where you are at now before changes, and goof around with it until you understand whats doin.

now -

when you twist the distributor 1 way, the motor will run out - advanced - listen to it. it is telling you. just listen to it.

now twist the other way. the motor will tighten up, you are getting the motor in a bind, don't go to far this direction. stop turning as soon as you recognize it.

again, listen to the motor. it will tell you.

once you do this enough, you will be able to do it without a light.
try not to die -

- saylor
So I don't need to increase the rpms/speed up idle while checking and setting total timing?

you may . . . this is part of the black art right here. you need to get the car so that it will stay running at idle hopefully at least. if you are not there yet, then yes there is other stuff to dink with first.

but - by the time you are ready to goof with timing, you have already put a vacuum gauge on the carb and set it yes?

you may . . . this is part of the black art right here. you need to get the car so that it will stay running at idle hopefully at least. if you are not there yet, then yes there is other stuff to dink with first.

but - by the time you are ready to goof with timing, you have already put a vacuum gauge on the carb and set it yes?
Not yet. I haven't done any tests or diagnostics.. I'm just getting all the tools and info together so I can get the order of things right.. I just ordered a vacuum gauge too, a mityvac($39.00 HF). I didn't know about setting the carb.. please do tell! This is all stuff I've really been needing to know.. the car starts up, runs a little rough until it warms up, and stays running at idle now. It's under load that it goes badly, complete lack of power, popping out of the carb, will not accelerate over 30 miles an hour, like it's sucking air or starved for fuel.. and when you put it in gear and let off brakes, it creeps forward weakly..

Last edited:
a vacuum guage is all u need. adjust your distributor till u have max manifold vacuum. then tweak your carb mixture screws one at a time to achieve the same thing. good to go. like stubbs said if it pings then back it off a snatch hair at a time till it stops.

a vacuum guage is all u need. adjust your distributor till u have max manifold vacuum. then tweak your carb mixture screws one at a time to achieve the same thing. good to go. like stubbs said if it pings then back it off a snatch hair at a time till it stops.
Ok I follow the distributor/timing part.. but where and when and how do I put the vacuum gauge to check for max manifold pressure?
What is max.. how will i know?

Max is just before it starts going back down (towards positive pressure). Find a vacuum port to manifold vacuum, either off the vacuum tree just behind the carb or maybe if there's a blanked nipple on the brake booster.

Back