storing polished stainless steel for a couple of months till car ready

440sportfury

Reaction score
Hi
This is a silly question I polished out the stainless on my sport fury. The car is to be painted within two months but I heard that 2 1/2 years ago. My thoughts were to put a coat of wax on it wrap it with quality tissue paper Then before it goes on hit it again with jewelers rouge.I will pack securely with bubble wrap and box securely. Is coating with car wax necessary. Any thoughts from experience will be appreciated
Thanks
Frank

Stainless isn't affected by age. As long as it's packed away, protected from the elements it will look the same 20 years from now.

You may overkill it all you want if you must, but it's really not needed to do all that. See post #2.

Wax it with your favorite coating and then wrap it with newspaper and you'll be fine. Nothing else needed. Unwrap and put it back on.

I like Collinte 850 for my shiny stuff. Liquid Metal Wax » Collinite

Thank you very much guys as always your always there with a quick knowledge advice. I ended up polishing the stainless trim with Tripoli the chrome was in good shape with minor scratches which between the jewelers rouge came out great. The grey stuff they recommended seemed a little to harsh and a lot harder to work with I guess it is meant for heavier damage. Well thanks again Its nice to know that you have so many knowledgable people that are willing to share there knowledge and experience
Regards
Frank

Your welcome. I polish the stainless on my semis (air cleaners, sunvisors, grill, etc. with sandpaper, lol. Mind you I start with 800 grit and finish with 5000. Its like looking in a mirror.

It must look awesome I barely had the guts to use the buffing wheel but I tell you the parts that I had to sand out some dents I went up to 2500 grit and it polished out well.. Your trucks must look awesome

14682157_1425657520781087_7356779924469385450_o.jpg

1984, '97, and a '96

Thank you for the pictures they sure are beautiful and all the work you have done is obvious and well worth it.
Best Regards
Frank

Back