Strange things happened

shales

Reaction score
Ok this morning my battery was too low to start my 67 Fury III so I put he charger on the battery for 45 minutes? It started and was charging ok. Run some errands and at the last place I stopped i went to leave after the car set for30 minutes and there was no current not a thing , like the whole electric system was disconnected. I got a jumper and put on but could not start with key, I had to cross the solenoid terminals to activate the starter . It then started. Hot home turned of engine an restarted and it was fine checked battery, it was fine. Does the 67 Plymouth have a fuseable link or auto circuit breaker ? Why did I loose all the electrical power , even the clocked quit ? Would appreciate some advise. I did not intend to write book sorry.

steve

Check the main wire at the back of the fuse block for corrosion. I found this to be a problem only after several situations like what you explained and found it after smelling and seeing smoke rising up from the dashboard. The connection was corroded and melted the s fuse block. :campfire:

commando1, I failed to mention in my post that I left the glove box door open for week while I was gone. That was the cause of the too low to start problem.
and Ironwolf where is the fuse box? . Under the dash I suppose? Thanks guys for your comments ,been very helpful

stev

Check your wire connections at the selonoid you jumped,there is a thin wire that plugs into it that I have had to wiggle a bit from time to time on my 67 polara it was a corroded connection .

Check the battery connections...if you get corrosion between the battery post, and the terminal end it can cause a situation like this. I personally never tighten down my battery clamps all the way. I leave them like this so I can get them loose, and off in a hurry in case of an emergency. Sometimes since I leave them a little loose they will build up some corrosion. The car will go "click" and be stone dead. I go out...remove the terminal and install again and it will fire right up.

I had that problem and it turned out that it will start in neutral instead of park.

Bob

On my 69 Sport Fury Vert it was under the dash on the firewall to the left side of the steering column. The connections that were corroded were in the engine bay on the firewall below the power steering booster tucked down deep enough to be a pain in the *** to get to but easy to get to with the fender off ( lol ) It has a plastic shield over the top of it so it is kind of hidden from view.

th

I got a new battery cable cleaned up the terminals and checked everything you suggeted and it now starts, charges and runs fine. I thank you all for the advise. Now , one more thing then class is dismissed lol. I need to know where to buy the tie down straps that hold the battery cable and other wires from the dash onto the inner fender pannel . They are about 2 3/4" long and have a hole on each end. I looked on e bay, andy bernbaum and the usual suspects with no avail. I am open and for any suggestions. Thanks

steve

steveIMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Back