Stupid tapered axles

Moparih

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 59 Saratoga with the tapered axles that I am trying to do a disc brake conversion on the rear end. I am trying to figure out if anyone know if I can just buy a flanged axle that is the correct length with the 30 splines or if I have to get a whole new rear end. I suppose I should say it has the 8 4/4 rear end.

Hate to say it but our go to fix on non stock 50’s cars has been throwing in a phord 9 inch. In Az were lucky to have the 9 inch store. The make them in any length and the aftermarket support is phenomenal. Even our 55-7 Chebbies have 9 inchers.

Hello all,

I have a 59 Saratoga with the tapered axles that I am trying to do a disc brake conversion on the rear end. I am trying to figure out if anyone know if I can just buy a flanged axle that is the correct length with the 30 splines or if I have to get a whole new rear end. I suppose I should say it has the 8 4/4 rear end.

Measure the width and find a 1965 and newer full size axle that matches it. With your title line then just scrap the tapered axle.

I have a 56 Dodge and swapped the original 8 3/4" for a 60s era 8 3/4"unit. I took the entire housing and diff to the shop, They transferred the hard point to correct axle tubes and fabricated the correct leaf spring mounts etc. I also asked for a limited slip diff upgrade, and changed to a final drive 2.78 ratio. The revised unit bolted up correctly, I had to change the drive shaft to the newer mopar universal joint yolk and I think a slightly different length (it's been about 20 years). The mid 60s drum brakes came with the package (Bendix system instead of the original 50s Lockheed type center plane brakes). This required some fiddling with the emergency brake cable system. No issues except that the one has to REALLY pull hard on the 1956 "hand-actuated" emergency brake pull-out handle....

All the mounting points for springs and shocks were precise, so no issues.

SO THE E BRAKE IS THE REASON I AM SWAPPING REAR ENDS/CONVERTING TO DISC BRAKES. NO MATTER WHAT I DO THE E BRAKE WILL NOT SET

Do your rear discs have a park brake function on them?

Did you swap out the trans mounted park brake? Why can’t the stock park brake on the back of the trans work?

Do your rear discs have a park brake function on them?

Did you swap out the trans mounted park brake? Why can’t the stock park brake on the back of the trans work?
^This^

And converting the existing parking brake mechanism to work with the e-brake on a disc brake system may take more than just running some cables. Never done it, never saw it done, so I can't address it other than to say I'm sure that changing from a driveshaft e-brake to a disc brake e-brake is going to take some thought at least.

i made a bracket to fit a 86 lincoln mark 7 caliper over a jeep cherokee rotor that slips onto the wheel studs-------dont have pictures available---sold probably 50 sets----but look at the speedway catalog they have bolt or weld on setups for circle track cars-----they generally will be without E brake capability----but there is a bracket to fit a metric cadillac E brake caliper to a car------and it is pretty simple.....

i used the mark 7 because it had a removeable bracket that held the caliper(for about 5 years)---later axles the lugs were cast onto the axle---the same caliper is still in use on explorers .......

Not hard to locate a 65 or later 8 3/4 that will bolt directly in. My 61 Fury has a axle swapped from a 68 Newport. Bolted in. I retained the e-brake on the rear of the trans. No cables.

G'Day,
Try Measuring up a 65 / 66 Plymouth Fury.
Pretty sure that will Fit, Although you may have to Move the Saddles to Suit. (Can't Remember, I Had a 59 Custom Royal 35 Years Ago)
Of Course It Depends How Wide a Wheel You Plan to Run.
We were Sliding 65 / 66 under 78-80 A Body Valiants over here But 5" Rims were Max Fit.
From Memory (So Don't Rely on It I'm in My Dotage) 65/66 are somewhere around 60.5" - 61"" Wheel Track, 67 / 68 are 62'- 62.5" Wheel Track & 69 - 72 around 64" Wheel Track.
These are All from Aussie Dodge Phoenix's So the Yankee Plymouth's May be Different although I Doubt it.
Without Paying Out a Fortune to have Something Modified, I think the 65 / 66 is the One to Check First.
Regards, Tony.M
(Good Luck with Your Project & Allow Me to Express an Opinion.
If you do Manage to Fit the 65 Flange Axle Set Up, Try Driving it around with the Drum Brakes for a While.
We did a Number of Disc Brake rear Conversions on 69-72 Models & Really Didn't Find ANY Great Advantage with the Discs.
AND the Handbrake Set-up is Less of a Hassle as Well, All this pertaining to Normal Street use with a Little Craziness Thrown in Once in a While.
If You're Building a Race Car, Different Matter.
It Really bears Thinking About).

I talked to the gentleman at AAJ brakes he has a complete setup front and rear with out calipers and rotors for $675. comes with all hoses and brackets. As far as the transmission mounted drum brake no it is still there. I just cant make it work. I have replaced everything except the drum and it still wont work, I cant figure it out. as far as finding a later rear end in my neck of the woods is proving to be a bit difficult.

I talked to the gentleman at AAJ brakes he has a complete setup front and rear with out calipers and rotors for $675. comes with all hoses and brackets. As far as the transmission mounted drum brake no it is still there. I just cant make it work. I have replaced everything except the drum and it still wont work, I cant figure it out. as far as finding a later rear end in my neck of the woods is proving to be a bit difficult.

Are you saying they have disk for a tapered axles? I’ve never heard of this. Please post link. Craig

Ummm well I can turn wrenches but I have no idea how to share a link. But yes he has a disc conversion for the tapered axles. you can google AAJ brakes and it will bring it up. You are best off to call him, great guy and he knows his stuff. He will talk yer ear off but its great conversation

Perhaps I'm missing something, and admittedly, my experiences with GM rear brake caliper etc. has been limited to a couple of brake changes on some daily drivers I had, but I don't see where there's any E brake provision with that kit.

Looks like a decent kit though.

Perhaps I'm missing something, and admittedly, my experiences with GM rear brake caliper etc. has been limited to a couple of brake changes on some daily drivers I had, but I don't see where there's any E brake provision with that kit.

Looks like a decent kit though.

When you buy the calipers you have the option of park brake calipers or non park brake calipers...….. so I have been told

Back