Sub frame 68 Fury

xxcarguy

Reaction score
I just had a question.
Is the sub frame like the k frame in a b body, they unbolt and you drop them down, motor, trans full suspension.
Clean it up rebuild and put it in all in one might shot?
Thanks

Yes and no. On "A, B, + E" bodies the K member bolts to the welded in frame rails. On a "C" body the whole assembly is the frame rails and cross member. The removal procedure is way different. Do yourself a favor and get the service manual for your vehicle first. The removal and installation process is described in it.

There is no reason you can't do it on a C-Body, it would actually be easier as the torsion bars and upper control arms attach to the stub frame.
The exhaust will get in the way, ask me how I know.
You only need to lift it higher with the fenders still on the body.
2010-10-25_001.jpg

Alan

I don't mean to hijack this, but have a question.
My 68 fury is an original slant 6 car. I was planning on trying to use the conversion motor mounts available for the A body cars but am now wondering if it might be smarter to swap in the front subframe from a 67 fury parts car I have which is a V8 car.
Would the 67 and 68 fury cars be a direct swap?
If I understand right, all the V8 cars used the same "K member mounts" whether they were small or big block. Is that correct too?

The A body mount conversion is different that the C-Body conversion. Yes the conversion is much easier to do by just changing the stub. Also gives you good access to change the bushings and paint it up. The V8's mostly use the same motor mounts. I find it easier to just pull the front clip before changing out the stub but it can be done without pulling the front sheet metal. If this is a full restoration, having the front clip out of the way gives better access to paint the firewall etc. If you stick a floor jack under the rear cross member with the front wheels still on, you can roll the whole assembly in and out with the engine and transmission still installed once everything is unbolted.

Dave

Thanks from me too. Not a concours restoration by any means. Just want to make a clean driver. It needs to come all apart anyways so that is not a problem.

Back