Suggestion for side body spear trim/molding straightening

Rob Mandolene

Reaction score
Hey C-Body folks. I'm beginning the process of restoring my '72 New Yorker Brougham 2-door. I have a tall order which is to restore a dented piece of spear molding. Simply replacing it has proven impossible. I've located a seemingly excellent company that can do it but they are across the country and I'm a bit nervous about sending a 7' piece of molding I could never replace across the country. Wondering if anybody has experience restoring spear molding like this. I have a donor piece of vinyl insert that I think I can make work on the stretch on the door where it's missing next to the dented portion. Thanks so much in advance.
IMG_5606.jpg
IMG_5610.jpg
IMG_5607.jpg

You are in Cali correct? That makes a difference.

I've done it. It takes a lot of patience to get it right though.

You'll have to file, sand and buff it once straight. So you'll need a buffer, assorted wheels and compounds. Eastwood sells a kit and Harbor Freight has a decent buffer. I also suggest some homework such as the Jeff Lilly book.

Amazon product ASIN 0760303312
Once you buy everything, it will probably be cheaper to have it done if you just have the one piece.

My suggestion to ship it is to buy a piece of PVC tubing and ship it in that.

I've done it. It takes a lot of patience to get it right though.

You'll have to file, sand and buff it once straight. So you'll need a buffer, assorted wheels and compounds. Eastwood sells a kit and Harbor Freight has a decent buffer. I also suggest some homework such as the Jeff Lilly book.

Amazon product ASIN 0760303312
Once you buy everything, it will probably be cheaper to have it done if you just have the one piece.

My suggestion to ship it is to buy a piece of PVC tubing and ship it in that.
Thank you so much.

I have a card at home for a guy in SoCal that restores trim, I have used him more for polishing.
I'll find it this evening.

Alan

Back