suggestions for what Edelbrock is best on a 70 300 TNT w a/c ?

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
we just picked up a U code 70 300 TNT w a/c and am looking for advice on whats the best edelbrock to use on it ? im asking because i have several available to me.
the original carb is long gone and it now has a grubby leaky edelbrock that needs a rebuild

tx
mark

Last edited:
@marko I just put the new Eddy AVS2 on the RMB and it worked great! Definitely an improvement. 650CFM was plenty.

tx graham
but i dont want to buy anything at the moment, like i said have some edelbrocks sittin around so id rather use what i got
sides, that RMB has a gurly man smogger 400 doesnt it ? :poke:

tx graham
but i dont want to buy anything at the moment, like i said have some edelbrocks sittin around so id rather use what i got

Lol ok smart guy picking on the poor old RMB just cuz you gotta fire breathin 440....

I use the 1406 on just about everything so I am sure you got one of those lying around :poke:

Post a pic of the car, Mark!
I had a car matching that description and it sold to a guy in Canada. (or, is your car green?)

As for carb, I tried several on that car when I first got it. Put on a 600 Eddy that worked A1 on a 350hp 440, and the TNT didn't like it. (off-idle stumble that I couldn't adjust out)

Tried an Eddy 750, and it didn't like it either (same trouble). Had trouble with that 750 on another 440, then years later learned a bunch of folks had trouble with 750s, apparently/reportedly that carb had some issues, perhaps in the casting passages (somebody said). Some folks have documented their success with tweaking them into operation. But I gave up on the 750 and sold it. Anyway...

I don't remember what all I tried with the carb(s) tuning, but never any success, and I went thru the whole fuel system tank to pushrod, didn't see any glaring problems, and it never ran right until I had the original carb rebuilt by a pro. As soon as I put it on, that car right like new.

My 68 350hp 440, stock except for shorty headers and 2.5" X-pipe exhaust, likes the 800 EPS. That's the size I'd recommend for a TNT, a 600-650 seems a little small, or might need some extra fiddling to make it work.

Not sure what came on your 70 originally but my 69 Super Commando w/ AC came with a Carter 4640S 750CFM.

tx graham
I guess I have to ask what you have in stock to pick from?

i have some edelbrock 1406s n 1411s.
we are going with a 1411 750cfm on a new edelbrock performer rpm intake.
the car is a 70 300 TNT convertible.
ive known it since 1996
i will post more about the car very soon in the fuselarge section.....

20171125_153740.jpg

20171215_154800-1.jpg

Not my old car, wish it was, yet glad it's not. I kinda don't want to know my car changed hands, 'cuz then I hafta deal with the angst that I couldn't get it back. Not that I wanted it back, or want another car, but just that I haven't seen a decent Fusey coupe here in ages, and certainly no TNTs around, so it's a fantasy to acquire one. (it's complicated being in my brain soemtimes!)

When you make a thread on it, please post a link here!!!

i have some edelbrock 1406s n 1411s.
we are going with a 1411 750cfm on a new edelbrock performer rpm intake.
the car is a 70 300 TNT convertible.
ive known it since 1996
i will post more about the car very soon in the fuselarge section.....

View attachment 304603

View attachment 304604
Your '70 440 W/ A/C came with a 4741 Carter. The same # carter that came on ALL the 300 Hurst's with the TNT 440. Not positive but I think It waz a 650cc. It went to ah new CARE GIVER in '99 I kinda remember, Jer

tx for that info, i will see if i can find cfm spec otherwise it will bug me not knowing for sure,
not sure what you mean by new caregiver in 99, it is a canadian car owned by the same guy from 95 to 2017.
and now it s mine !

tx for that info, i will see if i can find cfm spec otherwise it will bug me not knowing for sure,
not sure what you mean by new caregiver in 99, it is a canadian car owned by the same guy from 95 to 2017.
and now it s mine !
I waz referring to the 300 Hurst I owned from '85 to '99 with the #4741 Carter on it that went to ah "new care giver". Sorry for the confusion, Jer

Back