Suggestions, looking for new radiator

jimjamiejames

Reaction score
Looking for a new radiator, 1963 Chrysler 300, 383, 26 in, no AC. Any suggestions, companies, websites, etc, so far only finding USA radiators which is over 1k.

For generalized shopping, to see what's out there and by whom, can't beat www.rockauto.com. Might also need to look for model year "1964", for good measure. BUT apparently not in this case!

Last edited:
I say go with Glen-Ray. My original rad was leaking and I tried another brand. Don't remember who now. But I went with Glen-Ray over 10 years and 50K miles ago. My 26" rad for my 300 was 600 bucks. Still looks and functions like new.

I say go with Glen-Ray. My original rad was leaking and I tried another brand. Don't remember who now. But I went with Glen-Ray over 10 years and 50K miles ago. My 26" rad for my 300 was 600 bucks. Still looks and functions like new.
Glen Ray radiators are now about $1000 for a high efficiency core 26" wide version. The 63 300s didn't have 26" radiators from the factory so your core support opening would need to be widened to make good use of one of that width. Glen Ray usually takes your original top tank and builds a core based on that, so you might want to call them to discuss your options, but their prices are probably out of reach for your price point.

I've always had good results with a re-core. Add an extra row of tubes and get extra cooling. This is only possible if your tanks are in good condition. Years ago, the problem with the rad on my '74 Fury III was a bad top tank. I was able to solder a patch that "saved the day". Just my thoughts. Lindsay

I've always had good results with a re-core. Add an extra row of tubes and get extra cooling. This is only possible if your tanks are in good condition. Years ago, the problem with the rad on my '74 Fury III was a bad top tank. I was able to solder a patch that "saved the day". Just my thoughts. Lindsay
An extra row of tubes usually only helps with higher speed driving conditions but if your cooling problems are mostly slow speed city traffic related, then what matters most is the width of the radiator much more than an extra row of tubes.

I looked at Rock Auto and see no listing for the rad. I also checked Spectra, who made a lot of replacements and I see no listing there either.

That doesn't mean they didn't make one at one time and if they did, chances are there's some out there... But finding them might be tough.

That leads me to the Cold Case radiators. which would be a little generic, but after looking at them at a show last year, they look like a decent deal and really only a can of black spray paint from looking a lot more stock than most aluminum radiators.

Getting one rebuilt is probably the best option, the Glenn Ray rads are nice, but $$$.

Another option is finding a used one. I happen to have an A body radiator that actually might fit if you are interested. It's a good used unit... We would have to figure out if the inlet/outlet is right. I think the overall dimensions are the same, although it would have to be checked.

An extra row of tubes usually only helps with higher speed driving conditions but if your cooling problems are mostly slow speed city traffic related, then what matters most is the width of the radiator much more than an extra row of tubes.
I've never considered this. Food for thought. Greater width and/or height is probably better than more rows of tubes. My overheating troubles have been on the highway, towing trailers So your comment rings true. Thanks! Lindsay

Cbarge recommended this company, so I bought a 22" unit for my 65 Town Sedan. Works great. I paid less than $400 US for the unit. Interesting story as well. ECP | No Gimmick Cooling

113_1712.JPG

I've never considered this. Food for thought. Greater width and/or height is probably better than more rows of tubes. My overheating troubles have been on the highway, towing trailers So your comment rings true. Thanks! Lindsay
An extra row of tubes does help, but the new/added tube passes warmer air to the tube downstream of it, which is not as efficient. Which is why adding width to the core helps more - the additional tubes are 'cold'.

But a thicker core, going from 2 to 3, adds significantly more core volume - you're adding 1 row of 22" core width vs adding 2 rows into 4" width. That would be a lot more volume, unless the core's rows get smaller when going from 2 to 3?

But, considering we generally have 18-19" fan dia, the extra width doesn't see any fan dia, so is imperative to have the required opening in the radiator support and the appropriate shroud.

Champion radiators. All aluminum and doesn't look factory. Buy, they are less than $250. I've had 1 in my Monaco for almost 7 years with absolutely zero cooling issues.

Champion radiators. All aluminum and doesn't look factory. Buy, they are less than $250. I've had 1 in my Monaco for almost 7 years with absolutely zero cooling issues.
How many rows? I bought a four row Champion years ago, the Coronet it was in was overheating. I was young and the lure of four rows was the draw. I haven't looked at their pricing for a decade.

I've used a Chinese unknown brand, and a Jegs universal unit with great success. Just put the Chinese one in my Monaco wagon, it got 10,000 miles in my '68 Monaco 500, so I'm confidant I will work fine.

How many rows? I bought a four row Champion years ago, the Coronet it was in was overheating. I was young and the lure of four rows was the draw. I haven't looked at their pricing for a decade.

I've used a Chinese unknown brand, and a Jegs universal unit with great success. Just put the Chinese one in my Monaco wagon, it got 10,000 miles in my '68 Monaco 500, so I'm confidant I will work fine.
It's 3 rows. I checked the site before answering the post. For a 26" radiator with 2 cores it's $204.

Back