Sump pan gasket change in situe?? is it possible

Golden Banana

Reaction score
Ive not had to get a sump out of my 71 383 Newport but the gasket needs changing!!
Is there clearance to fish it out?
Cheers guys!
Kevin

It can be done with the engine in place. Where's it leaking? If from the rear it could be the rear main seal.

Well its,definitely comin out the front end, id nipped up the front sump bolts but after a hard run the other night oil has blown up over and above the sump lip onto the front of the block, i need to check the rear aswell ......if that's weeping the engine can come out! Ha has!! Oh the joys! I just got it runnin the best ever aswell, starting on the key and performing!! .....thanks for getting back detmatt are you using ur Imperial much, lovely interior on that thing mate! Great looking car!.

You should check to make sure your crankcase venting is functioning properly.
I have been driving the Imp as much as I can but its been quite a rainy spring around here.

You should check to make sure your crankcase venting is functioning properly.
I have been driving the Imp as much as I can but its been quite a rainy spring around here.
bet that's a real smooth ride! Its cool as hell .....here in blighty its just turned sunshine and shorts weather! .....oh well good weather to make repairs too!! Got my 61 Polara coming next week! Cant wait

Its been a while since I asked the question regarding the sump removal .....ive spent best part of an afternoon and evening trying in vein to separate the centre link from the idler arm! .....oh brother!! they are stuck like Siamese twins!! who has had success at this and what was the winning method? ive tried single hammer blows, double hammer blows, joint forks, heat releasing fluids and all combinations of the above!! ....any ideas guys?

One of these should do it.....
7314a_top3-4.jpg
or
8150_top3-4.jpg

Both from OTC, Autozone shows both on their website.

Just to round this little topic off .....
Firstly a pitman arm puller similar to the one pictured above left was perfect for pitman arms but the jaw
gap was just too big for the center link joint ......I couldn't see how the other style could possibly fit the
centre link unless you cut away some of the shroud.

Secondly .....the engine sump pan came out fine WITHOUT lifting the engine! don't know if this applies
to other years or if there are different profiles on the K members?? mine is 71
One thing I can tell you is that the two sump bolts (one each side) that sit between the K member and the sump
will surely test your patience, especially when putting them back in ......was a two hand index and middle finger
shuffle which resulted in dropping the bolt a handful of times!, you will need the correct size spanner (mine are
half inch) a short socket with a long 1/8" drive and a jointed socket .....I found this was the easiest way to fish
those K member bad boys out!! ....combinations of the above are all I had but worked fine!

Hope this helps anyone else who needs to do this job!

Dang, sorry if I caused you to spend money on a tool that didn't do the job. The one I have I've used on both.

Dang, sorry if I caused you to spend money on a tool that didn't do the job. The one I have I've used on both.
no apology required! I had the pitman puller tucked away anyhow! Appreciate your input! I'm just glad to get the job done!

Firstly a pitman arm puller similar to the one pictured above left was perfect for pitman arms but the jaw
gap was just too big for the center link joint ......I couldn't see how the other style could possibly fit the

Secondly .....the engine sump pan came out fine WITHOUT lifting the engine! don't know if this applies
One thing I can tell you is that the two sump bolts (one each side) that sit between the K member and the sump
will surely test your patience, especially when putting them back in ......was a two hand index and middle finger
shuffle which resulted in dropping the bolt a handful of times!, you will need the correct size spanner (mine are
half inch) a short socket with a long 1/8" drive and a jointed socket .....I found this was the easiest way to fish
those K member bad boys out!! ....combinations of the above are all I had but worked fine!

Maybe too late but saw this lately on Ebay...:thumbsup:

magnetic finger.jpg

Maybe too late but saw this lately on Ebay

I'll bet someone, somewhere has tried gluing a nut to their finger for the same purpose and possibly using axle grease to achieve the same end. I've used axle grease for a similar purpose.

its a neat idea! only not sure how good it would be with a bolt and washers!?? in the end I had to use two hands and slide my fingers in ....seating the bolts with the inside of both index fingers at arms length!! .......pfffff!!!

If you have to work on your front end again in the future, what you'll need is a pickle fork kit. You can tear the entire steering system apart with one of these. I have this exact kit, and for 20 years, I have been using it for precisely that purpose.

5f0f2f2c-919d-4426-9cce-f18a25cc5ad7_1.4224acf96adba3778faedd1a0ce5733e.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to unbolt the idler in the end! The long pickle fork i have that usually does well just didn't. Cut it on this occasion! .....it is a particularly stuck joint on the centre link and working on the garage floor i couldn't swing the lump hammer hard enough!! Future new centre link and idler will be a good idea me thinks!

Back