SOLD Sun 404 distributor tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

halifaxhops

Retired USAF MSGT (SW) yes navy also.
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Just got done restoring this 404 works like it should has the manual also. Case was pained totally taken apart, new capacitor kit installed to get rid of the tube and a new drive wheel so no thumping. Willing to ship it through Fastenal. Asking $1700.

DSC03298.JPG

DSC03299.JPG

DSC03300.JPG

DSC03301.JPG

Does it have the ability to do electronic distributors or points only? My machinist has one but he's never figured out how to get a magnetic pickup to trigger the strobe in it.

Kevin

Does it have the ability to do electronic distributors or points only? My machinist has one but he's never figured out how to get a magnetic pickup to trigger the strobe in it.

Kevin
I setup electronic distributors on my stroboscope. It's just like converting your car to electronic ignition. For a Mopar distributor, you need a Mopar ECU, ECU wiring harness and a 12V regulated bench power supply to power the ECU. (If you don't have a bench power supply, some "smart" battery chargers have a regulated power supply mode.) For a Pertronix-converted distributor, power the Pertronix unit with the power supply.

I setup electronic distributors on my stroboscope. It's just like converting your car to electronic ignition. For a Mopar distributor, you need a Mopar ECU, ECU wiring harness and a 12V regulated bench power supply to power the ECU. (If you don't have a bench power supply, some "smart" battery chargers have a regulated power supply mode.) For a Pertronix-converted distributor, power the Pertronix unit with the power supply.

We figured it could be done but his machine is in pristine condition and he didn't want to fry anything made of unobtanium if we assumed wrong.

Kevin

I have the sun box and also use a gm hei module actually like it better. He wont fry anything in the machine the module gets the power from the red lead . Same as the sun amplifier. Then the module acts like the points and turns on an doff to trigger the spark tube. Paramount sells amplifiers and parts for them. The only part that is hard to get is the flash tube and they are not cheap at all (600) but there is a led conversion that Mark sells (paramount) that I want to try next time one goes out. (I have 5 of them). For Petronix units a 9 V works great. I would not hook up a external powersupply to the leads for fear of back feedeing amps into the components.

I would not hook up a external powersupply to the leads for fear of back feedeing amps into the components.
I didn't mention this in my previous comment, but the ECU and power supply must be grounded to the chassis of the stroboscope, or directly to the distributor body. Not only is this probably required for it to work, but there shouldn't be any unintended consequences.

If there's a preferred method for connecting an ECU to a Sun scope, then OK do that. :) My stroboscope is actually a Regent Heyer brand. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for it, so I didn't know if the internal power supply would be suitable to power an ECU. In my case, I feel my external power supply solution is safer.

I am not familiar with them at all. How do you like it? I see them around once and a while on CL.

I am not familiar with them at all. How do you like it? I see them around once and a while on CL.
It's the only one I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it against but it works fine. I took a chance buying it at an outdoor swapmeet, as the vendor was not near a power outlet to plug it in and test it. Thankfully it was in good condition except for the vacuum pump which had dried-out diaphragms.

I emailed someone, I think it was Paramount, looking for a wiring diagram to help troubleshoot it in case it ever breaks. They said they don't have one, and if anything breaks on it parts are not available so it's not repairable. I've had it apart and there's no rocket science inside, so with the assistance of a wiring diagram I could probably repair or replace almost anything electrical if it failed.

Paramount just does sun dist testers. Mark the owner is a super guy for help. I will keep my eyes out for you on a diagram. I deal with the older scopes and there is nothing at all on info out there on them either. No parts for them like transformers that I can find also. Have one with 27 taps off it and could prob figure out how to use a few to make it work but have no idea f the values needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back