Sure-Brake (B06) ABS

LeBaron1973

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I realize this was a rare system, although it functioned well, if one could be located that was fully functional - would it be possible/advisable/safe to install it on a car?

Just curious as mine doesn't have it so far as I know.

I recall the last time I mused that an ATC 11 test device was probably impossible to find, I found myself sending Stan money for one within about 12 hours.

Taking another risk, does anyone know of or have a system? Just inquiring, but am curious to learn if a system is about.

Am interested in the opinions of the wise and knowledgeable folks on the forum.

One of our car magazines road tested a new Imperial with that braking system back in the day. I do remember the photo of that huge Imperial sliding sideways down the test track. They weren't impressed.
Less than 5% take rate on 71 to 73 Imps at $350+/- for the option.
The option required unique front rotors. Probably impossible to find now.

Is this an early form of anti-lock brakes?
Yes, in 1971 Chrysler introduced Sure-Brake, an early 3 channel electronic abs system jointly developed with Bendix Corporation. Whilst it worked ok and was the first electronic 4 wheel abs system, (those used by GM and Ford were 2 wheel only) there was poor take up by customers (poor marketing perhaps) and it disappeared after 1973. The Mercedes-Benz Bosch system first offered in 1978 was a 4 channel electronic system, and not the first electronic abs as they have claimed.

Wikipedia has an article on the subject, well worth reading.

Last edited:
One of our car magazines road tested a new Imperial with that braking system back in the day. I do remember the photo of that huge Imperial sliding sideways down the test track. They weren't impressed.
Less than 5% take rate on 71 to 73 Imps at $350+/- for the option.
The option required unique front rotors. Probably impossible to find now.
Thanks, great information.

Last edited:
My first ‘72 had the system. The pulse rate was very slow, and it activated too easily, compared to modern systems. I disconnected it almost immediately and drove the car for a few years before I sold it. The booster failed while I was driving the car, so I replaced it with a normal junkyard unit. I still have the original. I think the only difference in the booster is the sticker on it saying the car is equipped with Sure-Brake. I also have the vacuum tap-off pipe that came off the manifold to feed the abs controller, which I removed when I resealed the engine. So I’ve got a small start!

I had one and recall no differences to "normal" parts, only additions. The reports I read on stopping/control were positive.

I'd keep in mind that when the first "modern" ABS systems debuted, there was much confusion and outrage about how to use them properly.

The only way I'd consider adding the system would be if I had the parts car right next to me as I did it.

Thanks guys, good information, I don't suppose anyone would have a system by any chance?

Considering the parts cars out there maybe someone knows where a system can be found?

Would be nice to have on hand to discuss with the mechanics here.

Last edited:
Check-out the Imperial owners or the Walter P. Chrysler websites. Those guys are certain to know about the system.

"Popular Science", I believe, had an in-depth article on the system when it first appeared. Might have been "Car Life"? I've got it archived somewhere.

The Chrysler system was unique, possibly where the 3rd channel comes in(?), in that all other systems were either "on" or "off" on applied pressure. The Chrysler system had TWO programmed deceleration rates. "Full on", "intermediate", and "none". It could use whichever one it needed to work.

The then-amazing thing was that it greatly increased steering in braking operations. As some of the other systems from GM and Ford were only on the rear wheels, the Chrysler system was ALL FOUR wheels, which was a great advance at the time.

Compared to modern systems, it is somewhat crude, BUT was a Chrysler Technical Innovation at the time.

I'm not sure about the fluid modulation components, but there was a "tone wheel" on the inside of each of the disc brake rotors, front and rear. Remember, some of those Imperials also came with 4-wheel disc brakes . . . another Chrysler "leads" situation!

Consider, in the earlier '70s, there was still a slight aversion to automotive electronics. The Chrysler electronic ignition was embraced, but not other more sophisticated "computer" items, generally. That old "Got to take it back to the dealer" orientation was still strong, in many areas.

Also, the Feds were making noises about "computer brakes" ABS systems for OTR rigs. More expense that didn't make the truckers any more money. In the middle '70s when THAT mandate happened, few knew how to troubleshoot the systems. Trailer brakes locked-up "for no reason". Some allegedly took a sledge hammer to them to get that system off of their rigs, I understand. The Feds backed-off and everybody was happy, but I believe that regulation came back a good while later when the systems were fully de-bugged and better understood?

It's also NOT hard to understand that an option which can't be readily seen and might not be of constant benefit, can flounder on the option sheets. A fancier ATC II or stereo tape radio would have been "see them" items that many would pay extra for, but not a (possibly) troublesome/unseen brake system that MIGHT increase driver safety on slick roads. I don't recall any insurance company discounts either.

The main advantage of ABS is to be able to steer and stop, at the same time, on a slippery surface. Many had learned how to pump the brakes to keep the wheels from locking, back then, too, so why pay extra for an ABS system?

I once thought of upgrading my '80 Newport to ABS. I was going to use a '90s Chevy Caprice system adapted to the Chrysler. About the same weight distribution and such. Plumbing and mounting the components would have been tricky, but it should have been a doable deal. Using readily-available components and such. Never did get around to that, either.

I suspect there should be a Chrysler MasterTech video on the Imperial ABS somewhere online?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

ABS and rear disc brakes never coincided on 1970s Imperials. ‘73 was the last year for ABS and ‘74 was the first year for rear discs.

I guess I got a little excited . . . thinking about those things again . . .

Thanks for the model year clarifications.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to forget about it. The cost of the parts, if available, would most surely be astronomical, lack of experience on the install and troubleshooting could be a nightmare.
And, it's likely the your car will never be driven in the snow anyway am I correct?
To take a car that has perfectly good working brakes and try to retro fit this system (as cool as it is) just doesn't seem to make sense IMHO.
Would be different if it was on it from the factory just not working, then I'd have to pull a "Javier" on it and get it working or die trying.:rofl:

Back