Suspension ideas

General Discussion

1. Scott79

Scott79 New Member

I’m trying to find a suspension kit upgrade for my 1968 Newport. I would like to change the stance a little but not much. Any idea?

2. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

You can raise or lower your front simply by adjusting the main nuts on your torsion bars. Forgot their actual name. You can just see that nut at the bottom of my control arm in this picture, if you expand the picture.

IMG_2732.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigblueC

BigblueC Senior Member

Adjust your front height as @Snotty said above. That's standard to all torsion bar suspensions. Have it realigned after adjustment. Likely you will need to replace some common wear items, so check out your suspension while you're under there.

FYI, there are generally no "kits" for our C bodies. Welcome to the world of big, oddball MoPar.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. 77newyorker440

77newyorker440 Active Member

I am also doing a suspension rebuild on my 77 New Yorker currently, and how do I take the load off the suspension from the torsion bars so the steering knuckle does not come crashing down when I released the upper control arm?
    Thanks,
    77newyorker440

5. Dylan Galvin

Dylan Galvin Active Member

If you want to have some camber, its pretty easy to adjust on these things just slide the UCA. That combined with altering the tension on the torsion bars is all you can easily do for the front. In the rear I think you need custom leaf springs made to adjust that ride height

6. Dylan Galvin

Dylan Galvin Active Member

Turn that torsion adjuster bolt completely loose

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Metalmarty

Metalmarty Member

I'm currently working on my '68 Newport. And I'm working on restoring the front suspension at the moment.
    Using a PST kit for ball joints, bushings etc and KYB shocks all around.

If you want to see what all the parts and such look like 1968 Newport 4dr Hardtop restore (NL)

If you have any questions, feel free.
    And yes, changing the stance in the front is as easy as turning two bolts in the front (one left, one right).
    Stance in the back can be done with different leaf springs, or lowering blocks.

8. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Be sure to have the car jacked up and the weight off the suspension before making any adjustments to the tensioning bolts.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CBODY67

CBODY67 Old Man with a Hat

As far the stance/ride height deal goes, even when the '66s-'68s were new, we had to be careful when entering some places to angle our entry so the car went in on an angle and didn't drag the tail pipes. There's a big amount of car between the rear wheels and the rear bumper!

Just some thoughts,
    CBODY67