Sutherland Springs

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My prayers go out to the families and communities involved in this horrible tragedy, I pray the peace of the Lord be with all involved. Even if your not a believer I know your moved by this tragic loss other people. From what I read it could have been worse but a neighbor to the church took it upon himself to try to stop the gunman, distracting him, causing him to flee the scene and then chased him. The police said it's still unclear if he died from a self inflected gun shot or if the neighbor shot him.

It's sad times when a church needs a security force.
We do at my mine and we're way out in the 'burbs.

just so senseless. :(

00-1-2-5-3.jpg

copied and pasted from FBBO

The following is a synopsis of what happened with the available info at this time...

Credit for story: David M. Fortier

According to initial reports the gunman drove to the store across from the church and exited his vehicle. He was dressed in all black, with face mask and wearing a ballistic vest. He was armed with a Ruger 5.56x45mm AR rifle equipped with an inexpensive red dot sight, white light, sling and a vertical grip. He began shooting walking towards the church, moved to the right of the church and continued firing and then entered the church shooting. He fired as he walked to the front of the church, stopped, turned and continued shooting as he walked back out. It is believed his rifle was loaded with Hornady TAP or VMAX ammunition based upon a loaded cartridge left at the scene. 23 people were killed in the church, two outside the church and one died at a hospital. 20 more were wounded. Ages of the victims range from 5 to 72 years old.

A neighbor heard the gunfire and responded by grabbing an AR-15 rifle and taking up a shooting position. He fired on the gunman as he exited the church. It appears the gunman was hit by the armed citizen, possibly in the neck, as he dropped his rifle, a Ruger AR, and fled to his vehicle. The armed citizen continued to engage the gunman attempting to stop him and prevent him from fleeing. He fired at least one shot which blew out the back window of the vehicle. The shooter drove away at a high rate of speed. In order to prevent the gunman from escaping and causing further harm the armed citizen flagged down a vehicle. The armed citizen quickly informed the driver of the vehicle, a pick-up truck, the situation and entered the vehicle. The driver of the pick-up truck set out in pursuit of the fleeing gunman while contacting the police via his cell phone. During the pursuit the driver of the pick-up closed the distance with the fleeing gunman while reaching speeds of 95 mph. The pick-up truck driver was able to get within a few feet of the fleeing gunman's vehicle, which then slowed, before the gunman lost control of his vehicle and went off the road at an intersection.

The armed citizen exited the pick-up and covered the gunman's vehicle with his rifle to prevent the gunman's escape. The driver of the pick-up stated the gunman made no movements inside his vehicle. The driver of the truck placed his vehicle in park and informed the police of the gunman's location. The police arrived on location approximately 5 to 7 minutes later. The gunman died at the scene, and as the driver of the truck stated he made no movements and there were no shots fired for the 5 to 7 minutes before police arrived. Evidence indicates he bled out and died from a gunshot wound or wounds inflicted by the armed citizen. Police stated the gunman's vehicle contained multiple firearms and he may have been headed to another location to continue his shooting spree, but was killed instead.

The shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, was 26 years old, father of two. High School classmates of his are quoted as saying he was an outcast who preached "atheism" and said "anyone who believes in God is stupid". He served in the US Air Force from 2009 to 2013 and was Court-martialed and discharged in 2014 after assaulting his wife and child and serving 12 months in the brig. Under Federal Law a Domestic Violence conviction would prohibit him from legally owning a firearm but evidently was not disqualified as he purchased his rifle at an Academy store. So, for a motive he was a militant atheist who hated Christians.

4610566A00000578-5052163-Stephen_Willeford_-a-2_1509952629788.jpg
460E878100000578-5052163-Johnnie_Langendorff-a-4_1509952629849.jpg

Stephen Willeford, 55, (top) and Johnnie Langendorff (bottom) have been praised as heroes after they were able to stop Texas gunman Devin Kelley's rampage

I may have said this before, but it's amazing to me that I recall the Texas tower shooter "still" being considered a big deal 20 years later (eighties). This latest POS was born when I graduated H.S.

If you aren't a believer in conspiracy (and I'm not saying I dont) then you must assign some other factor... at least for the ones who aren't yelling "Aloha Snackbar". The only common denominator I see is the coarsening of society/culture and its exponential acceleration by media exposure. How do you put that genie back in the bottle? God knows, but I sure don't.

I do know that I've been treating it like poison for a long time; that is to avoid it as much as possible, and when I am "exposed" it sickens me.

People on tv already hollerin “we gotta do someting”! Those two gentle shown above did.
God bless Texas.

I may have said this before, but it's amazing to me that I recall the Texas tower shooter "still" being considered a big deal 20 years later (eighties). This latest POS was born when I graduated H.S.

If you aren't a believer in conspiracy (and I'm not saying I dont) then you must assign some other factor... at least for the ones who aren't yelling "Aloha Snackbar". The only common denominator I see is the coarsening of society/culture and its exponential acceleration by media exposure. How do you put that genie back in the bottle? God knows, but I sure don't.

I do know that I've been treating it like poison for a long time; that is to avoid it as much as possible, and when I am "exposed" it sickens me.
I've been saying that the media exposure is the reasoning behind a lot of this nonsense. The loser gunman goes from being Mr. Nobody to having his own Wikipedia page and his name all over the TV and internet.

People on tv already hollerin “we gotta do someting”! Those two gentle shown above did.
God bless Texas.

That is exactly the way law abiding citizens should deal with these idiots. They don't deserve a prison cell for the rest of their lives on the taxpayers dime.

It is a horrific thing when life is take in such a caviler attitude.

The why is behind it is much hard to figure out, but I agree with what was said above in part. They become a celebrity if only for a moment in their minds. Why, is it that human life has so little value now a days...? Look at what is one television for entertainment. Most of the shows are cops shows showing murder and mayhem to one degree or another. What are some of the more popular video games? I don't play them, but from years ago I remember that Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and others of the like seemed to be the most popular.

So, those that are the most popular seem to devalue humanity. You cannot pump kids heads full of this as "play" and think that it doesn't have an impact. We've become a society that only cares about "me" and when "me" doesn't get what they want it's not pretty. When they get older it only gets worse.

Only God can help us.

Prayers for the deceased,

Prayers to the wounded for a full recovery,

Prayers for the families associated with the victims,

A HUGE THANK YOU !!!! to the two hero's who took this ******* out saving who knows how many others.

wpid-screenshot_2015-04-02-12-58-59-1.png

Last edited:
Back