SUV/offroad recommendation

Knebel

Reaction score
So...my wife wants to sell our little 20mpg city zipper and get an suv (not sure why because she just takes the thing to work 4 miles back and forth) and its cheap to drive around town. She wants 7 seats, and it has to be big and ugly apperantly. She showed me a 2005 nissan pathfinder that I find highly disgusting and don't agree with for multiple reasons...too much plastic and such. I like the older toyota 4runners up to 2000 and would have no issue modding a 3rd row into it. I know that she thinks she NEEDS the 7 seats but in the real world that will be once a year if even that.

We're poor folks and can't afford a $70 fillup every week,it would literally make us not have food. Right now we put 10 bucks in the tank and that lasts almost all week. my criteria are "7seats okay but dont have to if it can be added later" i am more focused to find something that realistically in the real world would get 16 to 18mpg and has a reputation for being reliable. The nissan is rated at 14mpg city.. lol. She wont believe me that it will get much less...even though our current car is rated at 26mpg city and we get about 18-20mpg. gas prices are a big issue because otherwise i would drive my fury every day. I even told her to take it to work every day for a month or 2 and see if she can afford the gas...

Anyhow, we both agree that we'd like something that we can take offroad and we have 3 kids to occasionally transport. She has the mindset that with a 7 seater suv we are going to do all those things that adventurous rich folks do and take a gazillion friends everywhere but in reality we wont have the money for gas to go anywhere with it since every penny needs to be saved for the weekly back and forth. We don't do anything really right now because we can never afford to go anywhere and as i am pretty much the bookkeeper of the family, i don't know what to do about that and she wants to get a thing thats going to triple car expenses a year but would barely have any real life benefit. Her argument is pretty much "why do you care so much about a car you would barely ever drive anyway?" BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE ME NOT HAVE DINNER!!!!

Does anyone have any suv recommendations that cost a max ma $4000 used, are reliable, has enough room so i could put two extra seats in the "trunk" if needed and does not get horrible gasmileage?

We had a Toyota 4Runner and Toyota Sequoia, the 4Runner will easily get 20 miles per gallon while the Sequoia was lucky to get 14. As much as I hate to say it being from Detroit, it's hard to beat Toyota. Ps still have the 2004 4 Runner.220000 miles and would have no problem jumping in it and driving 8 hours.No leaks,ticks or smoke.

whats a 22 RE? I guess shed be okay with a 4runner. I think the priority is really the 7 seats and she doesn't feel safe in our little toyota... weird.

Well coming from a Jeep Dealer....buy a 4 Runner...we don’t make a 7 passenger SUV that can compete with a V6 Runner in the $4k range. The Durango/Aspen are hard on fuel and the Commander with a V6 isn’t much better. 5 passengers then Grand Cherokee all the way. 7 passengers we have minivans for that :)

The 3rd row in an SUV is going to suck, unless you're a little kid, or a paraplegic(and then you will never be able to get in or out of it), based on a Buick Enclave I was misfortunate enough to have to ride in for 15 minutes, so I would guess that a smaller POS(Toyota) would be even worse. You are going to be hard pressed to get 20 MPG in town even on a mini-van, my 2018 Pacifica gets about 14.5 MPG on short 4 mile commutes, but at least the 3rd row seat is not some kind of torture device!
IMO if money is that tight, and the car that she is currently driving isn't worn out, and needing to be replaced, she needs to suck it up and stick with what she has, or get something that is big enough for 2 adults and 3 kids to live in.

I suggest seating and cargo space requirements need to be nailed down before looking further.

The problem with 7 seaters is a lack of cargo space. With all seats in use you are basically full with room for much more than a bag or two of groceries. One of my kids has third row of seating and the truck has spent almost 100% of it's life with the third row removed and stored in the garage. The only real solution is an extended van which is more like a small bus. Maybe find a unit with a bench seat up front and have seating for 6. Unfortunately, most 4x4 front seats are bucket with consoles making the truck into a 5 seater.

I bought my first 4x4 in 1976 and have had one ever since. Over the last 43 years I've driven all kinds, but the only 4x4 that really always shines are those made by Jeep. My wife always prefered cars until she discovered the Jeep was sure footed and she could really see the road from the higher vantage point. With your $4K price point look for an older Jeep, easy to fix and parts are cheaper. The older Jeeps are much like our C-bodies in fixability. The new stuff is all electronics and computers, these you drive and seldom lift the hood. When the new ones need servicing, you'll blow another $4K pretty easily.

Good luck with your quest!

She has her mindset on wanting the possibility of deploying two extra seats but no minivan (i do agree on that lol). Its not like the current car is that worn out.. i have to fix the ac compressor and we gotta get a windshield...its really pitted. I personally think that it fits fine for what we have since 99% its for her to commute back and forth from work and that relatively efficient. Honestly, i don't give a crap if any passenger is uncomfortable because if they dont like it they can walk. The thing is, she think we will suddenly be able to do all those crazy trips with the family. We already cant afford that, won't change with an suv that gets bad gasmileage.

e'd love to have something i can take into the outdoors more hassle free but the two times a year we would do that dont justify a gashog for me. Idk...have you EVER told your wife that she just has to suck it up? Dont you know how marriage works lol????

We rented a fully loaded Pacifica and drove it 1200miles to claifornia, the thing was a dog. To get going I had to always push it hard, i feel like there was no real "steady cruise" possible.

Last edited:
Keep your current car and buy an old 4Runner or Cherokee. ('90s Cherokees in driving condition sell for $500-$2,500 around here) If you really do decide to take something off road you will break stuff, and then you'll be without a vehicle until you get it fixed if it's your daily driver. There is no magic vehicle that will fit all of your wants, but two different vehicles can get close.

Also, if your current car only gets 20mpg, I suggest kicking it to the curb too. Civics have been getting 30+ for decades.

If price wasn't a problem for you, I would suggest you get what I bought in October of '16. I bought a new '17 Dodge Durango R/T Blacktop. Carries 7, seats fold down to carry cargo, AWD, will tow 7,800 pounds, and gets 25 MPG on the highway with the Hemi. Good looking vehicle and a joy to drive!
20161010_180819.jpg

If price wasn't a problem for you, I would suggest you get what I bought in October of '16. I bought a new '17 Dodge Durango R/T Blacktop. Carries 7, seats fold down to carry cargo, AWD, will tow 7,800 pounds, and gets 25 MPG on the highway with the Hemi. Good looking vehicle and a joy to drive! View attachment 262530
I'm hemming and hawing about one of those right now, unfortunately the interior I want is only in a 6 passenger configuration. How much room behind the 3rd row of seats?

I'm hemming and hawing about one of those right now, unfortunately the interior I want is only in a 6 passenger configuration. How much room behind the 3rd row of seats?
@Tobias74 can take you for ride in his and the answer is a duffel bag or two....Mrs. Doba wants one as well so...

Back