Sway bar 1961 Newport

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. JimmyG

JimmyG New Member

Has anyone found a rear sway bar kit for a 61 Newport or have a workable suggestion for a donor vehicle or year? Thanks

2. Jersey Jake

Jersey Jake New Member

I put air shocks on my 1966 Chrysler Station Wagon and it did wonders for the handling. Totally eliminated the sway. (45 years ago)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JimmyG

JimmyG New Member

Thanks. I have plans for some long runs on well known multi-state twisty roads. Air shocks already on board. Thank you for the reply.

4. CBODY67

CBODY67 Old Man with a Hat

When I put air shocks on the back of my '70 Monaco, I immediately noticed that it felt more "glued-down" in the rear, compared to the load-levellers that were on the car when I bought it. With air shocks, when the car leans one way, the inside wheel appears to be better-planted, just as with a rear sway bar.

You might measure the width of the spring perches on the rear axle. Then compare that to more modern vehicles (as the earlier Chrylser Cordobas of the 1975 era). I know of one '66 Polara that's running around with a Cordoba rear sway bar on it, with all factory hardware. The owner said he had to heat the bar to bend it a slight bit to line up with the spring location on the Polara. Perhaps, something similar for the Chrysler, too? Salvage yard parts!

Enjoy!
    CBODY67

5. JimmyG

JimmyG New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and comments. Salvage yard,...sounds more and more likely.