Tag questions

ilovecbodies

Reaction score
So I am looking at a 1968 chrysler 300 very low option car. I am still pretty new at decoding the fender tag, and to make sure that it's a numbers matching car. If one of you decoders could help me/explain the codes. I have looked here and on other sites and still unsure. Here are the pics of the vin,fender tag and one engine tag. Thanks

IMG_1722.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-130010_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-125954_Messages.jpg

Thanks alot. You make it so easy. Appreciate you.
That website I linked had all kind of information, but they are redoing their website, and you can't access some of it right now. Tons of info for you.

"Numbers Matching" on a Mopar is a very specific thing, unlike many other makes. What it means is not that the engine is "date coded" correctly, but that the last 6 numbers of the VIN are stamped on the engine and the transmission. If those numbers are different, like the ones on the engine in my car, it is not numbers matching. (My transmission is original.) Your first picture is not the right one to look at for this clarification.

But, I must say, I am confused by the following two pictures you posted. The Fender Tag should also match the VIN. In what you've posted they don't. 252856 is not the same as 253993. If these are from the same car there is a problem.

"Numbers Matching" on a Mopar is a very specific thing, unlike many other makes. What it means is not that the engine is "date coded" correctly, but that the last 6 numbers of the VIN are stamped on the engine and the transmission. If those numbers are different, like the ones on the engine in my car, it is not numbers matching. (My transmission is original.) Your first picture is not the right one to look at for this clarification.

But, I must say, I am confused by the following two pictures you posted. The Fender Tag should also match the VIN. In what you've posted they don't. 252856 is not the same as 253993. If these are from the same car there is a problem.

68 (this car) is different. The VIN and tag DONT match.

That started in '69. Before then it was a sequence number.

Thet are on the same car. When I looked at them side by side I noticed that as well. But I am far from an expert. So the fender tag is from a different car. It seems to be a nice car, but that's a red flag.

You will never see the last six on the VIN on a fender tag for a car before 1969, never. That number is the sequence number of the car. The numbers on the VIN are the cars production number, 252856 makes it the 152,855th car produced off the line for that year at that plant. Most plants started at 100001 for production.

Here's an example of a 1969 and later tag.

Resized_20210206_112730.jpeg

And the VIN tag.

Resized_20210206_113547.jpeg

The VIN matches the fender tag.

Don't be worried about the car you're looking at, it appears to be what the tags say it is.

CM Chrysler 300
23 2 door hardtop
K 440 4bbl
8 1968
Ç Jefferson Ave plant
282856 182855th car produced

If the options in the car March the fender tag, you're good to go.

Well it doesn't make sense to me, but I have seen a 69 new yorker vin and tag. What you just showed me is what I saw, so there you go. Thanks for your knowledge and info.

No problem. Always glad to help. Now go get that car!

(When I first got into these cars, those numbers threw me off too.)

"It's better to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission."

I've never been married, but I never asked, I just bought. She never asked me, she told me. We were even, except I paid for mine, and some of hers. :BangHead:

Back