WANTED Tail lamp lenses for '70 Fury III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy22

Reaction score
Contact seller
I had posted this ad (the single paragraph immediately below) on Feb 24....
--------
I'm looking for these lenses to replace the cracked lenses on my Fury III. The cracks are relatively minor so am looking for replacements that are in very good condition. Any offers, or tips for sourcing, would be greatly appreciated.
---------
.....Soon after posting the ad, I received a reply that directed me to another party who was believed have a pair of good-condition lenses available. However, when I reached the other party, it turned out the lenses he had were for a '71 Fury III, not '70 Fury III.

I haven't received any other replies to the original Wanted post. That might be because readers of the string thought I was already on my way to scoring the lenses I needed. Or, that there just aren't any '70 III lenses available out there (which isn't hard to believe based on my extensive googling of the subject). In any event, here I am just one more time, posting this "still wanted" ad. I'm also including the part number to assist.

WANTED: Part # 3420 860.

Thanks very much.

The second theory is the correct one.

The supply of those lenses has just about dried up. For a while it was easy to find an NOS right side lens for around $200, but left sides were almost impossible to find NOS, going back 10-15 years now.

If your lenses only have minor cracks, you're doing pretty good. So many of them have chunks broken out from people prying on them with a screwdriver when attempting to change the bulbs.

I would set up a search on ebay so that it will alert you if someone puts one up for sale.

Jeff

The second theory is the correct one.

The supply of those lenses has just about dried up. For a while it was easy to find an NOS right side lens for around $200, but left sides were almost impossible to find NOS, going back 10-15 years now.

If your lenses only have minor cracks, you're doing pretty good. So many of them have chunks broken out from people prying on them with a screwdriver when attempting to change the bulbs.

I would set up a search on ebay so that it will alert you if someone puts one up for sale.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'm coming to the same conclusion that the suppiy has just about dried up. Ironically the lens I need/want the most is the right side. Your note gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe that one is still out there somewhere :)

I'm not a mechanic or a computer wiz or anything in between but I'm considering exploring whether there's an efficient way to 3D print these. I talked to one expert and he didn't rule it out -- but didn't sound real optimistic about it either. He urged me to first try the market 1 more time, so here I am/was.

I think we have talked about this lense before. Is the red part of lens, one whole piece? I am pretty certain it is too long to make a reproduction in my pressure pot

I think we have talked about this lense before. Is the red part of lens, one whole piece? I am pretty certain it is too long to make a reproduction in my pressure pot

Hi Zymurgy - I haven't talked about this lens with you but perhaps there is another thread on this. There is a clear center section of this single piece (which is about 20 inches long) for the back-up light. Great question!

Typically the passenger side bottom lip is broken off and missing about 6 inches in from the end. Why? the trunk key lock is right above it and if you are carrying anything you place your package on the tail light lip and it's broken. If you have the pieces, glue them on and move on. I balance my packages on my ex-squad rear bumper guard.

100_0412.JPG

Excellent point and hypothesis! Yes I'm missing a small but noticeable piece on the lower horizontal edge of the lens. Earlier in this thread it was speculated that the breakage could be from someone using extra force to remove the lens. Your theory of someone using the tail light as a very-temporary shelf is a good one too. Unfortunately I don't have the broken-off piece. But your idea of gluing on is exactly the path I was discussing with the 3D printer guy. If he could fabricate the broken off piece with dimension and color precision, he was pretty confident he could glue the 2 pieces together seamlessly or close to it.

I don't have any spares to sell at all sorry. But they are pretty hard to find.

Hi Zymurgy - I haven't talked about this lens with you but perhaps there is another thread on this. There is a clear center section of this single piece (which is about 20 inches long) for the back-up light. Great question!

Yes I had the conversation maybe a couple of years ago in another thread. Too big to fit in my pressure pot. Good luck.

Ive been looking myself for over a year now and still no luck. I figured i would have found a tail light lens before i found a NOS Fury III trunk emblem instead lol
A0D824AF-8B41-466B-9462-33F073960B53.jpeg
1F87DDD5-6A07-4D77-BABE-CD4AD6618C02.jpeg
... good luck!!!

Last edited:
Last night while I was taking a shower, all of a sudden it hit me that I had an extra NOS right side lens.

I had purchased the right side about 15 years ago, then had to buy a pair of lenses later on to get the left side.

Here's some photos of it:

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

img_0221 (1).jpg

IMG_0222.JPG

I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10. It has some very minor shelf wear scuffing on the lens that should easily polish out and a bit of dust on the back side.

The price is $250, which includes super secure packing and FedEx shipping to the lower 48.

Zippy22, you have first dibs on it since it's your "wanted" thread, but if it's more than you're looking to spend, that's no problem, and I can offer it to anyone else that may be interested.

Jeff

Last night while I was taking a shower, all of a sudden it hit me that I had an extra NOS right side lens.

I had purchased the right side about 15 years ago, then had to buy a pair of lenses later on to get the left side.

Here's some photos of it:

View attachment 444237

View attachment 444238

View attachment 444242

View attachment 444240

I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10. It has some very minor shelf wear scuffing on the lens that should easily polish out and a bit of dust on the back side.

The price is $250, which includes super secure packing and FedEx shipping to the lower 48.

Zippy22, you have first dibs on it since it's your "wanted" thread, but if it's more than you're looking to spend, that's no problem, and I can offer it to anyone else that may be interested.

Jeff

Hi BigMoparJeff -- thanks for posting this. The lens looks fantastic. Unfortunately (for me) $250 is out of my range. But I'll be glad to discuss a possible purchase if you receive no interest at the quoted price. Thanks

Ive been looking myself for over a year now and still no luck. I figured i would have found a tail light lens before i found a NOS Fury III trunk emblem instead lolView attachment 443987 View attachment 443988 ... good luck!!!

Hi DasBoot70 -- that's amazing that you found the trunk emblem. Finding one of those was on my wish list too. Any chance the seller had more than 1 available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back