Tail light restoration

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did a few searches with no luck. Want to clean up a 69 Fury tail light lense and paint the reflector [if you can call it that, it looks bad at reflecting even when new]. It is an extra. I would also like to know of products to safely polish the lense. I want them to look better of course but put out more light. If gaskets are bad what have you guys used instead?
Here is what I got.
Thanks

20190616_175332.jpg

20190616_175520.jpg
20190616_175546.jpg

Other than the lens getting dirty on the inside and dust coating the silver reflector surfaces, probably not a lot that can be done.

BUT, wash everything down first. Reflector bodies, inside of the lenses, etc. Find a filter cigarette filter and put it in the small indentation of the reflector housing. Might use a thicker gauze section from a band-aid, too?

After the reflector is cleaned, the find some bright silver paint to repaint it with. Possibly Eastwood has such a product, but local WalMart (or similar) might have some Krylon or similar. Even some of the "spray chrome" paint?

In many cases, over the years of magazine articles, just cleaning things up (reflector and inside of the lens can make a significant difference. Putting the "silver" back on the reflector (which was not really a shiny silver anyway, OEM) makes it better still.

As for gasket material, probably a thinner bead of quality silicone, of the correct height, can work. Just let it cure a few days prior to installation. Might be some sealing foam that might work, from Home Depot or similar? Provided it's of the correct weather tightness and dimensions.

Polish and wax the exterior of the lens for maximum light transmission and clarity.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks to all. Meguiars it is and some foam pads. Yes chrome spray paint ought to do it to.
Knew you guys could help me out.:thumbsup:

Contact Detroit Muscle technologies for the gaskets, if they don't have them in stock they will send you the material in bulk so you can make your own. Eastwood makes a reflective silver paint for taillights.

I just ordered some of that cleaner/polish. I hope to tackle this on my cars.

Back