Tailgate stuck -- suggestions?

somewhereinthecity

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The tailgate on our 73 T&C was working fine until today. Now it will not open either as a gate or as a door and the selector lever seems unable to firmly engage at either end of its travel. Any suggestions for unsticking?

Thanks,

Jeff in Baltimore

Hi Guys,

The tailgate on our 73 T&C was working fine until today. Now it will not open either as a gate or as a door and the selector lever seems unable to firmly engage at either end of its travel. Any suggestions for unsticking?

Thanks,

Jeff in Baltimore
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your car but I believe there is a panel on the inside of the tailgate that you can remove. Here is access to an online version of the Dodge Body Service Manual for 73, I would guess the linkage etc. would be similar.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

I'd take the interior panel off and see what you can find. I'd also look for service manuals for your car, they can be very valuable.

Thank you. Yes, we have a shop manual on order -- just acquired the car a short time ago, and really only got started going over it and familiarizing ourselves with it the last few days.

I hope the link helps, I think there is a diagram on 2-1 or 4-1. Good luck with the car, I love the 73 Chryslers.

I had the same problem many years ago. If my memory is correct, there is a spring that attaches to the inside tailgate open position selector that I my '72 Fury Wagon rusted enough to the point where it broke. I hope your problem is something simple. It's not easy to get the inside panel off with the tailgate closed but it can be done. Good luck.

Yes, it definitely was. Everything else is fine -- window goes up and down and door locks and unlocks from the dash switches or rear key. So far, the list of issues to be addressed, in addition to the tailgate is thorough tune-up, couple of minor rust spots on the quarters and left dogleg, no brake lights (guessing it's the microswitch or misaligned cam), power antenna stuck in up position, a/c conversion. Power windows, locks, seat, all work fine.

I had the identical issue happen with me. I am still not sure why, but I noticed the door was sticking out from the rear of the quarter panel a little like it wasn't completely closed and fully latched. I took off the inside panel and was able to push on the linkage that releases the door and pushed hard outward on the door from the inside to finally open it. What fixed it was noting that the door post had become slightly loose and was somehow allowing the door to be in between open and closed, and turning the opening handle on the outside didn't engage anything. When the door was open, I adjusted the latch post so that the door would close more fully, so it was more even with the adjoining panel. After that it worked fine. Those doors are pretty complex actually and things have to be just right for them to work properly. I personally think it is a weak design.

Back