Tailpipes.....

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting to the point of planning my exhaust for my 73..

I'll be doing aluminized steel, 2.25" duals from 360 truck manifolds down to a pair of 2.25" in/out Hemi mufflers, my question or opinion request is for the tail pipes, the question is, do I go 2" like the factory would have or 2.25"?

Nick

I'll be doing aluminized steel, 2.25" duals from 360 truck manifolds down to a pair of 2.25" in/out Hemi mufflers, my question or opinion request is for the tail pipes, the question is, do I go 2" like the factory would have or 2.25"?

Nick

2.25s

Nick

Go with which ever size out you have from the mufflers. If it is 2.25 stay with that. On a stock engine the exhaust cools as it goes thru the muffler which is why the outlet is smaller. Cooler exhaust is more dense exhaust so you can get away with a smaller tailpipe, but there is a slight flow gain with the bigger tubing.

Dave

In my opinion 2 inch will look too small and 2 1/4 will look almost big enough as with my 69 Fury. 2 1/2 would be yummy.

20190908_163611 (2).jpg

Last edited:
pick up a couple of 2 1/4" to 2" reducers and temporarily fasten them under the bumper to see which looks best to you.

How much motor? Reasonably stock 360 or stroker 360?

Probably couldn't tell any power difference between 2" and 2.25", BUT "the look" would be better with the 2.25" pipes back there.

Are you using REAL Street Hemi replacement mufflers or just "Street Hemi" mufflers? The '69 Dodge Polara 440/375 used the real Street Hemi mufflers (which are shorter than the normal C-body mufflers) . . . the only year they used them. Otherwise, the pipes were 2.25'/2.00" for most dual exhaust applications.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

How much motor? Reasonably stock 360 or stroker 360?

Probably couldn't tell any power difference between 2" and 2.25", BUT "the look" would be better with the 2.25" pipes back there.

I don't think power output was in the question. Stock size or otherwise I think was the question. And I agree 2.25 would look better.

Last edited:
The tailpipes will have to be custom bent and are always the most expensive and difficult pipe to bend.
Most shops charge by the stick and you are on the hook if they do not fit the first time.

Another idea is just buy the TTi 2.5 tailpipes with required hardware and bump the mufflers to fit.
Then make a set of 2.25 baloney slice turndowns bumped to fit the TTi tailpipes.
We all know the TTi pipes fit perfectly under a C
A lot less labour involved and cost effective,IMHO

I'm not a TTI fan, for a few reasons, cost being one of them, and I personally don't like the way their tail pipes look.

When it comes to exhaust I'm very picky, I've had a lot of bad experiences with exhaust on my vehicles....

My gut said 2.25, but I wanted to gauge the opinions of those in the know.

For a mild 318, 2.25 duals are all I need.

I've got an old school exhaust guy who's going to do my bending, he has OE bend cards and an old style machine, he does all the exhaust for a friend and his mopar club..

Nick

When it comes to exhaust I'm very picky, I've had a lot of bad experiences with exhaust on my vehicles....
I've got an old school exhaust guy who's going to do my bending, he has OE bend cards and an old style machine, he does all the exhaust for a friend and his mopar club..
Nick
That's good to know,Nick.
In that case get your guy to bend up 2.25.
That's what I have on the Waygun's exhaust with the now warmed over 318.
Manifold outlets are 1-7/8 and welded 2 inch to the cut crossover pieces,then stepped up to 2.25 to mufflers and bent 2,25 tailpipes.
Being a standard trans, I chose Thrush Super Turbo mufflers. Nice burble,quiet at highway speeds. The only thing louder than the exhaust is the Thermoquad at WOT!! LOL!!
DSC01904.JPG

DSC01906.JPG

DSC01918.JPG

whatever your muffler input pipe diameter is, reduce it by 1/4 " for the tailpipe diameter. It will create the needed back pressure to smooth the exhaust pulse's.

tti offers a downturn tail pipe tip that looks great in both 2 1/4" and 2 1/2"

I would also recommend a equalizer between the exhaust pipes. Spray the pipes with some paint and run the engine. The area where the paint does not burn off right away is the correct area for the equalizer pipe. You'll love the difference in exhaust note it will create.

Last edited:
2.25 pipes should be plenty big for your 360. That's what I used to run back in the day.
Be fine for all but the most radical small block (or even big block).

2.25 pipes should be plenty big for your 360. That's what I used to run back in the day.
Be fine for all but the most radical small block (or even big block).
I gathered from post #9 that the engine is a 318 and from post #1 that the manifolds are 360.
I agree with 2.25 all the way. I had a 1967 Power Wagon with 360, 9.0:1 compression and obviously truck manifolds. 2.25 all the way back. Truck ran like a bat out of hell. Granny gear stick shift. Lots of fun to drive!

I've always been in the 2.5" front to back or don't bother camp for any stock/mild combo. When the tailpipe tips are bent and cut properly 2.5" just looks better to me and 2.5" sound better, the bigger pipe takes out that raspy frequency.

Zero back pressure being a bad thing is a wive's tale.

Kevin

I'm not a TTI fan, for a few reasons, cost being one of them, and I personally don't like the way their tail pipes look.

My gut said 2.25, but I wanted to gauge the opinions of those in the know.

For a mild 318, 2.25 duals are all I need.

Nick

Would you mind letting us know who your guy is, I live in Quebec and would love a dual system for my Newport.
I'm with you on TTI, I understand it's a great product but by the time you've paid for the stuff and then the shipping and the import duty and the tax on the merchandise and the shipping and the tax on the duty. (yes folks they all do it, pay taxes on taxes for international shipping) it all comes out to be prohibitively extortionate.

Back