Take your classic cars if you have to evacuate

Is he the guy in the police restraints?

Yes, he was "detained" when Dave Layson was arrested for selling "counterfeit" parts. As I understand it, he was running his mouth and taking too many pictures of the cops.

Yes, he was "detained" when Dave Layson was arrested for selling "counterfeit" parts. As I understand it, he was running his mouth and taking too many pictures of the cops.
Not illegal to film the cops. Know your rights or they’ll walk all over you.
Yeah same guy that has had the wool pulled over his eyes on anything he can't verify though GG. ie. B or E body.
Same guy scratching his head as to why the fender tags on a Lynch Rd car we're found hanging in dash and not on fender apron in a 71 Bee, meanwhile almost leaning on a 68 Imp crown coupe 1 of 2000+ ever made.
Yeah he is a Mopar guy as long as the VIN starts with B, J, X, R
Us?
whatever man. All I mean is he is one of the rare pro mopar guys from back when nobody was in media. I remember before Mopar Action and Chrysler Power you’d better be a Camaro guy to like what was in most mags. Don’t know what he did to piss you off but he’s out there preaching the good word. I know it’s his job but he goes to more car shows than I do. And that’s a lot LOL !!!

The whole Galen thing is meaningless to me as I don’t give a $&#% what the fender tag says. If it’s got a fast motor that’s all that matters to me. I love the rare cars but I’m no slave to them. I daily drove an AAR in the 80’s and get ready to clutch your pearls —- it had a 3310 or a double pumper (for at the track), because it was better and faster that way. To each his own and I say “us” because he’s part of our community. I last saw him photographing this nice east coast ride for his mag.

And I do
E231BD11-27BC-420E-BD96-52E47FE0B4EA.jpeg
remember back when it was us against them. Your ride had better been able to back up your mouth because it was everybody vs us Chrysler guys. We all stuck together squirrels included.

I don’t understand some of you.

I think I can go ahead and speak for the OP in saying that - he’s not suggesting you sit there tinkering with your car, hurryingly spraying starting fluid down the carb or try and replace the alternator while a deadly wildfire is scheduled to come to your house.
He’s not saying either to just leave all of your things and only worry about the vehicle. “Screw my wife. I’m hoping in the Plymouth.”

Obviously if you have a lot of umpteen cars, this post doesn’t apply to you
If your car doesn’t run. This post doesn’t apply to you.

For some people - it’s not “just material”. For some people - it’s the car they grew up in, learned how to drive in, the last shared memory between them and a loved one, a father, a mother. It’s nostalgia. It’s a part of life just like all the family photo albums, and baby pictures.

If you KNOW your car is reliable. Grab the keys. Grab your family. Grab everything you can and leave. Yes insurance can replace it. Just like it can replace the house. But the car has wheels. The house doesn’t. Save something and don’t lose everything. Can insurance replace memories?

Rant over.

Yeahrightgreer has a good answer. If you have a movable car, it´s better to save a bit than loose everything.

whatever man. All I mean is he is one of the rare pro mopar guys from back when nobody was in media. I remember before Mopar Action and Chrysler Power you’d better be a Camaro guy to like what was in most mags. Don’t know what he did to piss you off but he’s out there preaching the good word. I know it’s his job but he goes to more car shows than I do. And that’s a lot LOL !!!

The whole Galen thing is meaningless to me as I don’t give a $&#% what the fender tag says. If it’s got a fast motor that’s all that matters to me. I love the rare cars but I’m no slave to them. I daily drove an AAR in the 80’s and get ready to clutch your pearls —- it had a 3310 or a double pumper (for at the track), because it was better and faster that way. To each his own and I say “us” because he’s part of our community. I last saw him photographing this nice east coast ride for his mag.

And I do View attachment 233545 remember back when it was us against them. Your ride had better been able to back up your mouth because it was everybody vs us Chrysler guys. We all stuck together squirrels included.
You are right it is not illegal to film cops . You also do not have to answer their questions and you also have the right to say no to searches,

And I do View attachment 233545 remember back when it was us against them. Your ride had better been able to back up your mouth because it was everybody vs us Chrysler guys. We all stuck together squirrels included.
I'm not in the fight about Rob Wolf, and I love the car.... but those wheels jumped out at me... they look like an unfortunate recreation of a 78 Malibu Rally... or is it just me?
80-malibu-front-with-s10-15x7s-jpg.jpg

e231bd11-27bc-420e-bd96-52e47fe0b4ea-jpeg.jpg

PS: But don't forget - this IS where the car culture started
It's where they started writing about it and photographing it.
There were lots of races held at county fair horse tracks. Then the high speed car chases with illegal liquor on board.
All of this done before Alex Xydias and Wally Parks started drag racing on some nice new roads through the orange groves.

Yeahrightgreer has a good answer. If you have a movable car, it´s better to save a bit than loose everything.

Two drivers, nine cars. Something is gonna cook, and its going to be the old ones. Just the way **** goes. Try going head to head on totalling a newer car with a regular insurance company. I'd much rather deal with the classic car insurers with the old cars. Been there, done that. I know firsthand, kiddos.

You are right it is not illegal to film cops . You also do not have to answer their questions and you also have the right to say no to searches,

While you guys are correct, you still can't interfere. This was a felony arrest of Dave Layson and several employees. The undercover cops were on the scene and if you ever see any pics of the incident, you'll see them in the background wearing black ski masks. It is my understanding that Wolfe photographed the undercover cops and that is something that gets into a very gray area. You are compromising the safety of the undercover cops and that is a matter that is taken very seriously. Taking pictures of those cops, like it or not, can get you in trouble for interfering with an "ongoing investigation". The cops will come down on the side of safety of everybody and cuff everyone and sort the bad guys out from the good guys when the dust settles.

I'm not going to comment further on the Layson arrest or Rob Wolfe being detained at the scene. I posted the pic as kind of a joke... He was outspoken about the Layson arrest and the fight that Chrysler was having with reproduction parts and the use of their name and leave it at that.

I've never met Rob Wolfe in person, so I can't attest to his personality, but I've read his magazine and I'm not a fan of his writing. That said, it is true that there are many guys, him included that were "trail blazers" in bringing Mopars into the media and I applaud all of them. I have met quite a few magazine writers over the years and most of them are kind of weird with personalities that make you wonder about their sanity.... and BTW, I believe the first serious Mopar magazine was based on the east coast, I think it was Pennsylvania, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. Mopar Action is east coast based, Gromer lived in the Adirondacks in New York state and Ehrenburg is a New York City guy.

, I believe the first serious Mopar magazine was based on the east coast, I think it was Pennsylvania
High Performance Mopar. Had a elephant with a zoomie piped Hemi in it's back as logo. That was way back in the eighties, Gromer, Eberg and Tony Defeo we're writing for Cars illistrated
I thought it was out of Illinois but not sure. The founder died a ways back. Ehrenberg did some articles in it I still have one about TQs

High Performance Mopar. Had a elephant with a zoomie piped Hemi in it's back as logo. That was way back in the eighties, Gromer, Eberg and Tony Defeo we're writing for Cars illistrated
I thought it was out of Illinois but not sure. The founder died a ways back. Ehrenberg did some articles in it I still have one about TQs
That's the name, but the elephant was from Chrysler Power.

I met the founder once or twice... IIRC, he also had a graphics business. Most of those magazine guys had full time jobs doing other stuff. I think Gromer was a professor at Paul Smiths college and Ehrenberg worked in a radio repair shop.

While you guys are correct, you still can't interfere. This was a felony arrest of Dave Layson and several employees. The undercover cops were on the scene and if you ever see any pics of the incident, you'll see them in the background wearing black ski masks. It is my understanding that Wolfe photographed the undercover cops and that is something that gets into a very gray area. You are compromising the safety of the undercover cops and that is a matter that is taken very seriously. Taking pictures of those cops, like it or not, can get you in trouble for interfering with an "ongoing investigation". The cops will come down on the side of safety of everybody and cuff everyone and sort the bad guys out from the good guys when the dust settles.

I'm not going to comment further on the Layson arrest or Rob Wolfe being detained at the scene. I posted the pic as kind of a joke... He was outspoken about the Layson arrest and the fight that Chrysler was having with reproduction parts and the use of their name and leave it at that.

I've never met Rob Wolfe in person, so I can't attest to his personality, but I've read his magazine and I'm not a fan of his writing. That said, it is true that there are many guys, him included that were "trail blazers" in bringing Mopars into the media and I applaud all of them. I have met quite a few magazine writers over the years and most of them are kind of weird with personalities that make you wonder about their sanity.... and BTW, I believe the first serious Mopar magazine was based on the east coast, I think it was Pennsylvania, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. Mopar Action is east coast based, Gromer lived in the Adirondacks in New York state and Ehrenburg is a New York City guy.
Totally agree. Mopar Action and High Perf Mopar are my favorites. I’m NOT a rabid MCG reader but I’ll pic it up. I was just sayin us Chrysler guys should stick together. I’ve been treated poorly by people in the hobby that’s just life. Back in my old camaro hunting days I saw people fist fight over us vs them. To me that’s crazy. I’m never gonna take it to that level cause that’s just silly.

On a side note. Me and my brother rebuilt his 70 runner 383 11.5 pop ups it was bad *** and we test drove it (hey I was 19 !!!) at 3AM. We stopped for gas showed our buddy Jim who was working graveyard and then we drove down a side street to see if it would over heat - 90 degrees at night in Phoenix. We got busted by 5-8 cop cars handcuffed and made to stand by our car while we waited for some #%$& to be driven by to ID us. They looked in the RR and said we got em!!! Burglary tools. When have sockets ever been used to break into a house. Anyways after f ing with us for 3 hours they let us go. You have no idea how pissed off and tired I was. We worked on that car all day and then before we crashed took it for our test drive. I decided then and there never again. They wouldn’t let us go until I demanded to speak to a Sargent.

Last edited:

Yep eberg gives mcp and mm crap all the time. Mostly well deserved. He’s probably the best read in the industry you can tell he cares and the tech articles are keepers.

They did a whole comp mag of just tech articles and that’s worth seeking out.

Marty Shorr just released a pretty good book called back in the day I believe. It’s cheap on eBay about $45 retail. I paid 15 bucks. A lot of non Mopar stuff but he writes about Motion Perf dyno tuning the first hemi cuda convertible. It is worth a look.

A lot of Hi Perf Mopar was reprinted stuff from Cars Magazine now there are some old mags to pick up and read for back in the day stuff. They did a super bee article that’s probably one of the funniest street racing stories I’ve ever read.

I’ll post the cover of that MA tech magazine if you guys ever want to find it on eBay. It’s worth the 5 - 10 bucks.

I'm not in the fight about Rob Wolf, and I love the car.... but those wheels jumped out at me... they look like an unfortunate recreation of a 78 Malibu Rally... or is it just me?
View attachment 233566
View attachment 233567
I’m not a fan of new wheels on old cars but those guys road trip the heck out of that car. He said new wheels was the way to go. It’s really really nice and so were they. Husband and wife team living the dream. A Rare thing these days...

It's where they started writing about it and photographing it.
There were lots of races held at county fair horse tracks. Then the high speed car chases with illegal liquor on board.
All of this done before Alex Xydias and Wally Parks started drag racing on some nice new roads through the orange groves.
LoL !!!

I would’nt touch that argument with a ten foot pole. I always liked it explained like this.

Car culture started when they took the second car ever built and then RACED the first to see who’s faster.

I hate when the CA started the whole thing. They also pretty much killed the damn hobby also, with the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law which was intended to clean up the air.
When I was in the Navy my 1969 Barracuda still had the /6 in it. I bought it only running on 4 cylinders, figured out that someone jacked up the firing order, put that back and tumed it up. Found vacuum advance disconnected, hmmmm now wonder it gets crap MPG.
Went to get it smogged and uh-oh violation vacuum advance is connected. In order to comply I had to disconnect the vacuum advance and have a sticker placed on dash and windshield that it was NOx compliant. I seriously doubt a /6 was pinging away at steady cruise creating excess NOx and the piss poor fuel mileage was burning or not burning more gasoline. How is running more fuel through a gasoline engine producing less pollutants. Painting with a broad bush by putting my /6 in the same category as a Hemi car just because of model year. Whatever, I'm sure it's better now, but the rationale for killing off the performance of a economy car that can do, very practically 10-15,000 a year just to kill some NOx gasses from a high compression tempramental car in the same model year that would be lucky to be used a few thousand miles.
Rant over!

I hate when the CA started the whole thing. They also pretty much killed the damn hobby also, with the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law which was intended to clean up the air.
When I was in the Navy my 1969 Barracuda still had the /6 in it. I bought it only running on 4 cylinders, figured out that someone jacked up the firing order, put that back and tumed it up. Found vacuum advance disconnected, hmmmm now wonder it gets crap MPG.
Went to get it smogged and uh-oh violation vacuum advance is connected. In order to comply I had to disconnect the vacuum advance and have a sticker placed on dash and windshield that it was NOx compliant. I seriously doubt a /6 was pinging away at steady cruise creating excess NOx and the piss poor fuel mileage was burning or not burning more gasoline. How is running more fuel through a gasoline engine producing less pollutants. Painting with a broad bush by putting my /6 in the same category as a Hemi car just because of model year. Whatever, I'm sure it's better now, but the rationale for killing off the performance of a economy car that can do, very practically 10-15,000 a year just to kill some NOx gasses from a high compression tempramental car in the same model year that would be lucky to be used a few thousand miles.
Rant over!
Man, It’s one of the few things better about being in Calif vs Az. In Az we’d swap to a rigged up aFB once a year to pass the emissions test. Old cars are every year tested and the standards are from neverland. That carb was leanest jets & secondary blocked off and it would make any engine pass. Not like sky hi CO and pass Nox or visa versa that usually happens. The other problem was they did away with us feather footing thru the test “ for safety “ now they drive your car on the rollers and try to fail you.

I loved the look on their faces when they’d floor your obviously cammed and breathed on ride only to have it do nothing when they floored it. Not once did they not ask me if it was broken. I’d alway just say well did it pass ??? F ‘em it’s just a money grab. Out in Calif old cars are exempt because it would cost them more than it’s worth and they make it up in spades at the DMV with reg fees. $18 a year for tags in Az and $150 in Calif.

Sucks.

They were going to do the Dyno/roller test here a long time ago. They had old gas stations converted, then state govt stopped it. It would have been a nightmare.
I used to have to swap my AVS back on my Challenger when still in CA, ran like crap and always had to retard the timing way back. Car would barely run to get around the block but it would squeak by, then I would go change it all back good for 2 more years.

They were going to do the Dyno/roller test here a long time ago. They had old gas stations converted, then state govt stopped it. It would have been a nightmare.
I used to have to swap my AVS back on my Challenger when still in CA, ran like crap and always had to retard the timing way back. Car would barely run to get around the block but it would squeak by, then I would go change it all back good for 2 more years.
Stick it to the man brother!!!!!

Stick it to the man brother!!!!!
PA got smart, the car is already monitoring itself OBD2, the emission test is plug in, if your check engine light is not on you pass. 95 down still get a sniffer test and all the old stuff is just visual, hopefully done by a blind mechanic. Throw a antique plate on it and nobody ever has to look at it.

Back