The 1965 Polara/Monaco/880 thread!!

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello all

I figured that I would try to gather all of the folks that have 65 Polaras/Monaco/880. I figure we could share info and pictures of our cars to help with the restoration projects. Being that 1965 was a one off year for these cars.(66 is close but not quite the same). It would help to find parts and locate ones that are needed.

So what am I asking? How about introduce yourself, what you have maybe post a few pictures or a link to an album?

It might not work but I think its worth a try.

Thanks

Eric

Last edited:
I'll go first. I have a 65 Polara 500 Convertible. It is a project but I really like the car. Has a 4 barrel low compression 383. It will be medium blue with a white drop top. Has that two tone turquoise interior(in pieces) and a fancy "New" subframe.

This is my running album.

https://goo.gl/photos/TzpSDNeWKAFG3RA87

Currently prepping the car for body work and paint next summer followed by a convertible top and tires.

Thanks

Mine is also a 500 convertible, 383 4-bbl., a/t, p/s, p/b, a/c, p/w, p/seat, and tilt wheel, white w/white top, and red interior. The car wasn't in the driver condition I was looking for, but it was optioned so well that I couldn't pass it up. It had already been repainted when I got it, but the interior needs a LOT of work. The car sold new at Claude Short Dodge in Santa Monica, Ca.
023.JPG

I have a few...... mostly of the 500 variant. The HT I've had since 78, put somewhere around 250K on it now, really just a decent looking driver. Also a couple convertibles, one I've had a few years and done nothing with but when I was ready to start this summer another popped up in better shape so I snagged it but now need to actually get started on it. There's a few pics in the garage section.
The beastie........
Hmm, won't show both garages...

Convertible shots........
Polara_500

Mine is also a 500 convertible, 383 4-bbl., a/t, p/s, p/b, a/c, p/w, p/seat, and tilt wheel, white w/white top, and red interior. The car wasn't in the driver condition I was looking for, but it was optioned so well that I couldn't pass it up. It had already been repainted when I got it, but the interior needs a LOT of work. The car sold new at Claude Short Dodge in Santa Monica, Ca.
View attachment 105565

Thanks for your response. That car is fully loaded and that paint looks fantastic. I'm pretty excited to get mine painted this summer. My car just has p/s, p/b, a/t. I do have the compressor for the motor(Isn't original motor) and I believe I have the under dash unit for the A/C but I'm not to sure that I want to put it and open that can of worms. Is the dashes different depending AC?

I have a few...... mostly of the 500 variant. The HT I've had since 78, put somewhere around 250K on it now, really just a decent looking driver. Also a couple convertibles, one I've had a few years and done nothing with but when I was ready to start this summer another popped up in better shape so I snagged it but now need to actually get started on it. There's a few pics in the garage section.
The beastie........
Hmm, won't show both garages...

Convertible shots........
Polara_500

Its funny... the first car in your garage is a lot like mine. Blue in back and white up front. Your interior is more complete then mine. I have two black seats and a rear two tone! You own more than one convertible? One white and one blue?

Its funny... the first car in your garage is a lot like mine. Blue in back and white up front. Your interior is more complete then mine. I have two black seats and a rear two tone! You own more than one convertible? One white and one blue?
Yeah, I found the second convertible this summer for less money (needing little body work), than I would have needed to spend on the one I already had, so grabbing it was a no brainer. The white/blue one actually started out the same baby blue as the other one, option load was the only difference in them. Unfortunately the poor car went through a fella that did some questionable stuff to it (from my perspective anyway).

Thanks for your response. That car is fully loaded and that paint looks fantastic. I'm pretty excited to get mine painted this summer. My car just has p/s, p/b, a/t. I do have the compressor for the motor(Isn't original motor) and I believe I have the under dash unit for the A/C but I'm not to sure that I want to put it and open that can of worms. Is the dashes different depending AC?
I think as far as the dash frame itself, the only difference that I know of is the cutout for the center a/c vent.
The paint itself is not bad, the body work on the other hand is not the greatest, it's a damn good thing the car is white!

I think as far as the dash frame itself, the only difference that I know of is the cutout for the center a/c vent.
The paint itself is not bad, the body work on the other hand is not the greatest, it's a damn good thing the car is white!
The ends of the dash are also cutout for the vents, I don't think they're cut on the non AC cars although it's been a long time since I upgraded mine to AC, (back in 78).

I'll go first. I have a 65 Polara 500 Convertible. It is a project but I really like the car. Has a 4 barrel low compression 383. It will be medium blue with a white drop top. Has that two tone turquoise interior(in pieces) and a fancy "New" subframe.

This is my running album.

https://goo.gl/photos/TzpSDNeWKAFG3RA87

Currently prepping the car for body work and paint next summer followed by a convertible top and tires.

Thanks
I'd recommend two things. First, create a restoration thread for your car on here using the pics from your google photos and Two, open this up to 65 Monaco and 65 880 cars. They're all so similar that I'm sure you could get applicable info for any of the three from the others.

BTW, looks like the restoration is coming along well. Congrats!

I'd recommend two things. First, create a restoration thread for your car on here using the pics from your google photos and Two, open this up to 65 Monaco and 65 880 cars. They're all so similar that I'm sure you could get applicable info for any of the three from the others.

BTW, looks like the restoration is coming along well. Congrats!

I'll start a separate thread for my 65. Maybe we should open it up for monacos and 880. Maybe change up the subject? Is that something I can do?

Must be half a dozen "photo garages" of just 65 Dodges.

IMG_0922.JPG

Here is a pic of my non a/c Monaco for your reference.
I would just hang an a/c unit under the dash. Call it a dealer installed item!
I would be leery of cutting the dash and hoping to find the correct trim pieces to finish the dash. The side round vents go thru the brushed metal trim piece just to the right of the glove box door emblem. The drivers side is to the right of the light switch.

Back