The 4 spd New Yorker lives on...

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The new owner of my 4 spd. NY'er is doing an outstanding job of picking up where I was forced to prematurely leave off.
Thought you might enjoy this email I just got. I'm posting it because it shows what these big land barges can do.

"...Now for a fun story all told as it happened. -- On the way home from the exhaust shop today I had a couple real tough looking guys on some wicked looking Harley's pull Right in front of me on the two lane High way.(I was doing around 70) Anyway they must of thought they could stay ahead of gram pa in the white New Yorker! Well they were wrong! In a few seconds I was doing 95 along side em, they looked over as if to say we'll show this cowboy a wild ride. They cracked em open and needless to say neither of these two Harley dudes on their chromed out choppers could come any where near catching me! They seemed to let off some where around 110 and 200 yards behind me. I just trotted away from them.( I'm glad I didn't end up in jail today), I cant help myself I live for these little tests. No highway bulls and light traffic set the stage on this stunt! Well thought you would enjoy that story! Later, Jed"

Great story, thanks for sharing it. Would have loved to be a witness to that.

As we talk back and forth, we have been analyzing how best to up the ante.
We both now agree that the 3.55 is too high and I should have gone 3.91.
He's tempted but the thought of 7 - 8 mpg isn't too appealing to him right now...LOL

Reminds me of the Fury my parents had in 68 no one could catch my mom until a state trooper got her in his 68 Fury.

Commando1, I've had my NYB up to about 85mph and the steering response wasn't all that great. I don't know how fast you had the 4 speed on the highway... my question is how responsive was your steering at ??? speed. I know that the NYB's are 30+ years old and steering technology wasn't great back in the day. I've inspected my steering components and didn't find any loose or unservicable parts. Just wondering how your's responded. 4 Speed Ny'er= 110 mph. Very nice!!!

Let me put it this way, I wanted to pass a tractor trailer on a two lane crowned road.
AT 110 the car was about to launch and I don't have a pilot's license.
75 is nice now....lol

He's tempted but the thought of 7 - 8 mpg isn't too appealing to him right now...LOL

Will the 3:91's effect the mileage that much over 3:55's ? Really? So he'll get 20-30 miles less per tank, the car is what it is and it isn't built for fuel economy. Stan, you took it from being built for comfort to being built for speed with comfort.

Tear it up!

I think a back up car/truck with a 225 slant 6 is a nice way to offset "B" and "RB" fuel economy issues. My next project is a Slant 6 Club Cab. This will serve me well in giving me another older Mopar to drive, to haul parts, save gas monies for the Sport Fury's thirst. Just sayin'

Clearly two different applications for two different times for driving. Its all good if thats what you want or need. How many times were you in one car and say" damn I wish I was in the other"?

Will the 3:91's effect the mileage that much over 3:55's ? Really? So he'll get 20-30 miles less per tank, the car is what it is and it isn't built for fuel economy. Stan, you took it from being built for comfort to being built for speed with comfort.

Tear it up!

Fuel economy was never an important enough consideration from day one.
It was a local cruiser.
But I had a car once with 3.91's and it was just too much on the brain psychologically listening to the high RPM whine all the time.

Clearly two different applications for two different times for driving. Its all good if thats what you want or need. How many times were you in one car and say" damn I wish I was in the other"?

The project was done on a shoestring. If I had my druthers and the money, a six speed Tremec would have gone in there...

The project was done on a shoestring. If I had my druthers and the money, a six speed Tremec would have gone in there...
I understand that Stan, my reply was to the other post.

3:91's aren't going to rev the engie that much more than 3:55's...... Your post said he (new owner) was worried about fuel economy not rpm's.

Before you repeat that >100 mph run, insure your tires are speed rated. Too much centrifugal force and they come apart. I had a front tire blow up on me in my Newport at ~65 mph on the interstate and had to hang on for dear life as it veered back and forth across half a lane. Hate to imagine that happening at 100 mph.

Before you repeat that >100 mph run, insure your tires are speed rated. Too much centrifugal force and they come apart. I had a front tire blow up on me in my Newport at ~65 mph on the interstate and had to hang on for dear life as it veered back and forth across half a lane. Hate to imagine that happening at 100 mph.

Especially when a front tire blows. I've had a front tire blow out, but not because the tire speed rating.

Back