The admiral and Connie stepping out

And your rig was the talk of the camping grounds, wasn't it?

Yep....... All those high dollar 5th wheels and motor coaches, and I'm the one playing Q&A. A fellow offered to trade his late model Volvo wagon for the Admiral, straight up trade, (I think he was serious), but I respectfully declined. Could be the day two fools met.
We were home for a day and a half and decided to head down to Gulf shores for Thanksgiving. Stayed for a week and got back yesterday. Damm, this is fun....!
I'll be home long enough to put the new leaf springs on the Admiral as well as a few up grades to Connie, (It's a learning curve), and then we are going back to Gulf Shores for Christmas

Where did you decide to go for the leaf springs. I'm next....

I checked with several sources on the net as well as a couple of local suppliers. Having my original springs re-ached was about $300.00 at a local shop. I would have gone that way if I was restoring the car. Original grooved leafs are no longer available anywhere. But being that I am using the car for heavy load duty I decided to have new springs made. Pete made reference to "St. Louis spring" who is building a HD set for $360.00 shipped. Best deal I found, friendly and knowledgeable on the phone, and quick turn around. I should have them in a week.
Eaton was the highest at over $700.00 plus shipping. I hope they are enjoying their downtime.

JUST the info I was looking for at the exact time I needed. Thanks for doing all the grunt work. ☺

Btw, Eaton could care less. They got the heavy truck biz making them money.

Yep....... All those high dollar 5th wheels and motor coaches, and I'm the one playing Q&A. A fellow offered to trade his late model Volvo wagon for the Admiral, straight up trade, (I think he was serious), but I respectfully declined. Could be the day two fools met.
We were home for a day and a half and decided to head down to Gulf shores for Thanksgiving. Stayed for a week and got back yesterday. Damm, this is fun....!
I'll be home long enough to put the new leaf springs on the Admiral as well as a few up grades to Connie, (It's a learning curve), and then we are going back to Gulf Shores for Christmas

$100k...$300k...$500k rigs all over the place are probably telling themselves YOUR the one who's crazy. That whole adventure appeals to me very much... I hope everything turns out right fixing your saggy butt... and safe traveling to you over Christmas.

To a RV camping site?

I checked with several sources on the net as well as a couple of local suppliers. Having my original springs re-ached was about $300.00 at a local shop. I would have gone that way if I was restoring the car. Original grooved leafs are no longer available anywhere. But being that I am using the car for heavy load duty I decided to have new springs made. Pete made reference to "St. Louis spring" who is building a HD set for $360.00 shipped. Best deal I found, friendly and knowledgeable on the phone, and quick turn around. I should have them in a week.
Eaton was the highest at over $700.00 plus shipping. I hope they are enjoying their downtime.

Will.....if you don't mind.

What did you ask them to do beside making a standard set of springs for you? Extra leaf added and/or arched a little more. Would you mind telling us what your rear bumper height is now on the left and right side without anything hooked up to hitch. My FSM says the measurement is taken at the bumper jack position. From the ground to the bottom of the bumper. Also the height of the front bumper at the same positions. And then the measurements at all 4 corners after the new springs are installed. Thanks.

What did you ask them to do beside making a standard set of springs for you? Extra leaf added and/or arched a little more. Would you mind telling us what your rear bumper height is now on the left and right side without anything hooked up to hitch. My FSM says the measurement is taken at the bumper jack position. From the ground to the bottom of the bumper. Also the height of the front bumper at the same positions. And then the measurements at all 4 corners after the new springs are installed. Thanks.

What St Louis spring is building for me is a 7 leaf, 25X37 replacement spring using solid steel leafs to HD specs. (Factory towing package). Adding an extra leaf would add to much ride height. I expect to add about 1-2" max to that and still maintain level ride while towing.
Where ride height is measured on the body didn't seem that important so I just measured from the ground to the top of each rear wheel opening. 28" disconnected from the trailer now. (Of course that's a 69 Custom Suburban). Currently the trailer drops that to around 24". I'll re-measure when the new springs are installed.
The fellows at St Louis seemed to understand what I was trying to do and assured me the new springs will end up a bit stronger then OEM trailer towing units.

I guess this shows how pathetic I am when it comes to my NYB.
My car's *** does not droop.
I have one squeeky bushing that constant lubing will not stop.
The bushings are 40 years old. Changing all of them instead of just the squeeky one is a no-brainer.
Here's where the Devil on one shoulder gets into a fight with the Angel on the other shoulder.
Should I really be buying new springs, too????

28363511-Businessman-with-a-cardboard-box-on-his-head-with-doodle-drawing-of-angel-and-devil-fighting-Concept-Stock-Photo.jpg

1. Ignore the one squeeky bushing altogether and admit to being overly anal.
2..Replace the bushings. Nothing wrong with the leaf springs. Save myself a ton of dough.
3. Do it all and gloat about how "perfect" I do everything.

I wouldn't buy new springs. They are holding the car up at the right height so what benefit would new ones have except to empty your wallet? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The bushings... Yea I would do that.

Gotta do the springs, after 40 years they've sagged a bit and although you don't notice it it doesn't ride as it should and you're working your shocks to hard...
As noted earlier, I now change them as soon as I get an old car. Then there's that whole body roll discussion again

I guess this shows how pathetic I am when it comes to my NYB.
My car's *** does not droop.
I have one squeeky bushing that constant lubing will not stop.
The bushings are 40 years old. Changing all of them instead of just the squeeky one is a no-brainer.
Here's where the Devil on one shoulder gets into a fight with the Angel on the other shoulder.
Should I really be buying new springs, too????

28363511-Businessman-with-a-cardboard-box-on-his-head-with-doodle-drawing-of-angel-and-devil-fighting-Concept-Stock-Photo.jpg

1. Ignore the one squeeky bushing altogether and admit to being overly anal.
2..Replace the bushings. Nothing wrong with the leaf springs. Save myself a ton of dough.
3. Do it all and gloat about how "perfect" I do everything.

Nope.....just add a pair of Flowmaster 40's! LOL!

Back