The Admirals new carpet......

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I spent the last couple of days installing the new carper into the Admiral. A layer of sound deadening first, I am happy with the way the carpet fit but it's still a job getting everything located correctly,..... The interior's coming together pretty nicely.

I've already removed all of the original headliner panels and was able to reshape the "sag" out of them. There's s few slight scratch's, one tiny puncture, and a lot of fading, so I decided to respray them as close to original as I can.
1/2" dense foam will replace the original cotton pads above the panels.

DSC02060 (Large).jpg

DSC02061 (Large).jpg

DSC02062 (Large).jpg

DSC02069 (Large).jpg

DSC02070 (Large).jpg

DSC02071 (Large).jpg

headliner removed (Large).jpg

Nice Job. I lost track, the paint Job hasn't been done yet ?
Still keeping an eye open for a cheap set of "Admiral" scripts.

NAhhhhhhh. No paint yet, He's still wearing his original patina. I'll finish the interior. Do the mechanical work he needs and then consider the paint.
It will be done in the original lacquer paint to the paint code. A4.

And in the beginning I thought you were just buying a DD and fixing a few things.
We're really getting another zJazabelle here, lol.
F $#@ ! I wish I had your energy!

And in the beginning I thought you were just buying a DD and fixing a few things.
We're really getting another zJazabelle here, lol.
F $#@ ! I wish I had your energy!

It is my DD,
I am practiceing restraint by not totally disassembling and painting everything. New carpet, cause it had none. seats upholstered just where needed.
This Suburban is in remarkable original condition, so, I intend to retain as much of the original as I can and do what I need to do to make it look and drive nice.

With Ellie retiring at the end of the year we're planning to ride Rt 66 in the Admiral towing the pop up... next summer. I just got all the trip planners and road maps.... Looking forward to that.

DSC02072.jpg

I have so many trips on the list.

Route 66.

Route 1.

Route 40.

Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

My big lap around North America....

I thought you are retired Will? LOL!

Concours level work every time you do something!!!

The Admiral is coming along very nice!!!!!!

Great work on the wagon! I am watching closely at how the headliner progresses, as I have to do something with the sagging one in my 1969 Town & Country. Keep us posted with a lot of photos! Thanks

Steve

Great work on the wagon! I am watching closely at how the headliner progresses, as I have to do something with the sagging one in my 1969 Town & Country. Keep us posted with a lot of photos! Thanks

Steve

Some progress on the Admirals headliner....... The panels have been reshaped & refinished and look pretty good. I still need to find suitable 1/2" foam to replace the old cotton batting insulation pads. It will go back together pretty quick once I get that.

DSC02078 (Large).jpg

DSC02079 (Large).jpg

DSC02081 (Large).jpg

DSC02083 (Large).jpg

DSC02085 (Large).jpg

headliner refinished 1 (Large).jpg

headliner refinished 2 (Large).jpg

69 fury dome lamp.jpg

What's the difference in results to use putty instead of bondo apart from needing no activator ?
Never used These products.

Excellent work Will, that's a lucky wagon to have fallen into your hands.

Nice work Will, what did you do to reshape?

What's the difference in results to use putty instead of bondo apart from needing no activator ?
Never used These products.

The "spot putty" will result in a smoother surface once sanded without a filler primer. I could paint over it without any material buildup.

The panels are only a laminated paper construction with one finished side. I soaked the sagging areas with water and laid them out in the sun, finished side up, with a weight, (used a brick), until they dried. The original shape was retained then.
They were old and stained enough that I decided to refinish them. I used a rustoleum appliance epoxy paint that was as close to the original color as I could find, (almond). The epoxy should help stiffin the panels and aid in avoiding sag in the future.
I'll use carpet adhesive to attach the foam to the cars roof and to adhere the panels to the foam.

Now I'm going to have to do something with the cargo area floor. The heat stamped linoleum is looking a little shabby. It's available at SMS for $75.00 a yard, (takes two yards). But I may just use a "pile" carpet like the Chrysler T&C's had.

Almost done. My trimmer was able to supply me with a 1/2" very dense foam that has a thin fabric cover on one side to replace the original insulation pads above the headliner panels. It went pretty smooth from there. I'm not real happy with the spray carpet glue, The panels want to sag under their own weight a little and the glue I used isn't holding as well as I had hoped. It's an easy fix once I find a stronger bonding glue.
I was missing four of the little cross bow end caps and was surprised that Marty at Arizona parts had some NOS in stock. Waiting for them now.
I refinished the mirror mount, cleaned the visors and installed the shoulder harness's with the new elastic sewn in.

It's a little shiner then original but it works well with the all black interior.

Next is the 70 Sport Fury dash pad I found to replace the badly cracked original. The only difference is the 70 pad has a wood grain band across the passenger side, but it will look OK I think.

in process 1 (Large).jpg

finish 1 (Large).jpg

finish 3 (Large).jpg

dome light (Large).jpg

mirror (Large).jpg

shoulder harness (Large).jpg

Have you ever tried 3M high-strength adhesive spray? I've used the wide angle setting, sprayed both surfaces and let set up for a minute, then attach. The drawback is you only have one shot at alignment, once the two surfaces meet they are bonded for life.

Back