The Automotive World is Changing Rapidly and Tesla Has Led the Way - Ford is Copying

General Discussion

1. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

If I had to drive a electric only car not a hybrid, I would make sure the trunk was big enough to accommodate a portable gas powered generator of my choice. A honda s2000. It's almost as quiet as an electric car.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

I think I can speak for most of us here... we don't like quiet!:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

I don't like quiet either. But I don't want to sit on the side of the road pissed off while charging my batteries with a loud Harbor Frieght 89 dollar 2 cycle generator.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 300rag

300rag Grumpy Old Man With a Hat FCBO Gold Member

If you have an S2000 in your trunk, why not just drive it?:lol:

s-l1600-7.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

Nice cars and I would drive that lol!

6. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

We have not signed the global law of the sea treaty because it cedes mineral rights within our claimed territorial waters to the UN. Secondly, modern EV batteries are not NiCad, they are Lithium ion, that is an important distinction as there are no Lithium Nodules on the ocean floor. (unless of course no one has found them yet.)

Dave

7. kingbowl93

kingbowl93 Active Member

Are the charging stations free to use? IF not, how does the pricing work?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  8. 1970cat

1970cat Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

the brainwashed kids will love them
    th?id=OIP.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

For government vehicle use. It's a government fuel station on post. You have to have a code to access gas/diesel/electric.

I have never seen a privately owned vehicle being charged at that location. Someone would call CID for sure if you tried to charge or fuel a POV at that government fuel station.

10. barnfind

barnfind Senior Member

Heres my understanding,
    Manganese, cobalt and nickel are found in these nodules. Cobalt is used in the cathode of lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries being current technology used in EV vehicles, and other rechargeable batteries.
    That said, with ev being the current direction of the future, and supply and demand as it is. Having the nodules is key to the production of said batteries, yes.
    Not sure what your saying with why were not in this current boom / rush.
    Territorial water is 12 nautical miles from low water mark (low tide) according to the UN. The clarion clipperton zone is well outside this distance.

11. Davea Lux

Therein lies the problem, the US claims a 200 mile limit or EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone), the UN only recognizes a 12 mile limit. If the US were to sign the Law of the Sea Treaty, that 200 limit goes away. One of the reasons for the 200 mile limit was to protect coastal fisheries from foreign fishing. The other of course is that there are vast oil reserves off the Gulf coast. So far those economic considerations have taken precedence over the Law of the Sea Treaty. Most of the US supply of Nickel and Cobalt are imported from Canada. A lot of it used to come from Russia, but the sanctions implemented as a result of Russian activities in the Ukraine and elsewhere have eliminated that source. Cobalt and Nickel are really not all that rare, but the relative purity of the nodules make them an important find if they can be mined economically. I would be more worried about the Chinese stranglehold on most of the world supply of Rare Earth metals.

Dave

12. barnfind

barnfind Senior Member

Seems like alot of easy cheddar to walk away from. I agree about the Chinese taking the lion share of rare earth metals. Thanks for the schooling!

13. The Goose

The Goose Senior Member

I’d kill for that button Lol!!!

I also sharpied out the GD seizure lights on the steering wheel. You spin the #%$&ing wheel and these bright tiny lights are dancing in front of you !!! Who thinks up this stupid dangerous crap???

Most cars won’t let you 100% turn off the dashboard lights anymore either. I hate these dopes that think they know better than us.

Weesh sorry bout that!!! Just forgot how annoying all that crap is.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Davea Lux

Will a check engine light get triggered if the fuse is removed from the dashboard display? Do not own anything that modern, so i never tried depriving the more annoying things of power. (Not the speedo and such, just the GPS and computer link)

Dave

15. The Goose

The Goose Senior Member

My check engine lights been on all year Lol!!! Might as well try - I’ll report back tomorrow!!!

16. Wildaugust

Wildaugust Senior Member

Ford apparently doesn't seem to have a problem with diluting or watering down the Mustang, in my opinion. I'm old enough to remember the brand new '74 Mustangs. They didn't even have a V8 that year! To me they looked like they just stretched a Pinto, although they actually weren't built on the same platform, as I understand. Then, in '79, we were supposed to get the FWD Probe with Mustang branding. Thank God they went with the Fox body instead.

I don't necessarily have a problem with EVs, so long as governments don't put an "expiry date" on existing gasoline cars, something I'm afraid they will do. I also don't want to be paying for them to charge their cars. I mean, if shopping centers are providing charge stations, they better not be letting them have free electricity at the expense of shoppers who drive gasoline powered cars or don't drive at all. I don't want to be paying higher prices for merchandise to cover the cost of free electricity for EVs. How much does a full charge for one of these things cost anyway?

I can't see myself wanting an EV. I like gasoline engines. I also don't see them being very good in cold climates. Picture yourself having to spend the night in one, stranded on a country road during winter when it's -30 outside. Will you have heat?

I wouldn't convert my classic to electric. I like the gasoline V8. I love the sound and feel. It just wouldn't be the same and I don't think I'd enjoy driving it anymore. But even worse, in my opinion, is the idea of driverless cars. I absolutely hate the thought of those and hope they don't catch on. The main thing with me though is freedom of choice. I don't want to be forced to buy something that I don't want, like an EV or a driverless transport pod. Ultimately, it is my money and I shouldn't have to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

nc_oc=AQkVe-F_mwNiKRqSKMTxadEeeFEy89iiLgrv1lmu-w4FJw8PhjSKNZtyqSBpua--5wU&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. BLUPORT

BLUPORT Carpe Diem Cras FCBO Gold Member

Roy Lunn and Carroll Shelby made the GT40.

While the K-Car and Minivan may have saved Chrysler, he was also fond of saying, “Safety doesn't sell.” Welcome to the Fiery Pinto.

19. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I have no problem with EV if it works for you and your life, hey why not. The battery disposal problem is huge, but when solved it will give you cell phone battery a place to go. The bigger batteries in the EV will increase urgency to solve a problem we already have.

All that being said FOMOCO is a bunch of idiots and this is more of the reason I still have a handful of shares that if they ever went over 10 bucks I would sell. All the great names Ford has trademarked or rights to and they water down a name that has been a proven sales winner with a crap shoot.
    How about Fusion for a name of a car with a different power source WTF!
    I'm going to put in the order to sell those shares because with marketing and management like this I better take what I can get now. At least it's enough to buy some beer for me, and my family, and friends for the holidays.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Mike66Chryslers

Mike66Chryslers Well-Known Member

I think some of the arguments against EVs, such as the lack of charging infrastructure, are similar to Bill Gates' reasoning that caused Microsoft to be late to capitalize on the internet. Gates figured that consumers wouldn't get on the internet until data speed increased so the user experience was better. However, enough people were willing to put up with sluggish download speeds of the day that it created a market for better technology. Especially after the first web browser was created in the mid 90's. Companies other than MS were already in that market by then, and in a lot of ways they never have caught-up.

To continue that analogy, charging infrastructure and battery range are like the early internet. Some automakers are like Microsoft and are ill-prepared for the future and have to play catch-up. However, being on the cutting edge is expensive too, especially if you misread where the market is headed and blow R&D money on technology that doesn't take off. (I'm looking at you, hydrogen fuel cells.)