The Automotive World is Changing Rapidly and Tesla Has Led the Way - Ford is Copying

General Discussion

1. Mike66Chryslers

Mike66Chryslers Well-Known Member

I think that would be a good name. If GM made an electrified Buick model they could resurrect the Electra name.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike66Chryslers

There are lots of technologies being developed to improve the range and charge times of EV batteries. One of the hurdles is finding ways to scale-up the results so they can be mass-produced in a factory instead of in a lab. Here is just one example that I came across just while reading the news at lunchtime:

EV Battery Charges in 10 Minutes | Electric Vehicle Batteries

3. Mike66Chryslers

Don't be so sure about that.
    Tesla News Updates | New Tesla Features
    I think that's an apples-to-oranges comparison. How fast could the 1908 car go? Electric cars of that era are what we'd call "city cars" today, because they could never venture outside of the city.

4. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

i also heard that Telsa has released a horn that sounds like a big ole' fart!

5. Mike66Chryslers

That's what the article I linked to says. You can't get away from the ricer fart-can exhaust sound that easily! :D

Sorry if my reply was confusing. It was really two replies, one to you and one to Joseph James.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BLUPORT

BLUPORT Carpe Diem Cras FCBO Gold Member

Added sounds are nothing new. The 2015+ Mustang Ecoboosts have a sound generator.

7. Mike66Chryslers

But can you program it to sound like this? :D

[clang] Bring out your dead! [clang] Bring out your dead! ...

• Like Like x 5
  8. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

An appropriate horn for a Tesla would be a fire siren.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  9. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

They may have designed it but Iacocca approved the project. Not just HF II. They had to answer to the bean counters just like anyone else.

Oh... and and though Iacocca had approved it, he didn't design the Pinto.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

This is the only Electra I like...
    41165.jpg

What a ride that would be!:rofl:

• Like Like x 4
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

The model train hobby has had synchronized sound for years.
    I could see a sound chip that allows driver to select the exhaust note they prefer.
    Say like an early street hemi, a 12 cyl. Ferrari, flat head V8 or even an old VW!
    I would rather the auto companies get on this before the govt. comes up with a uniform sound standard beeping like a dump truck backing up.
    You can’t hear an EV rolling up behind you in a parking lot as you’re walking.

12. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

Or a two stroke motorized scooter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Another thing that needs to go is hybrid cars. Mainly because now you have 2 different animals to dispose of when the time comes and the parts list is bigger than just a ICE car.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jon O.

Jon O. Well-Known Member

I imagine after Trump is out of office, the government will choke emission standards far enough that it will be easier and cheaper to produce an electric car. Once that happens, a few years for them to fade out production of gasoline powered cars. Eventually, possibly 15-25 years from now, there will only be a few gas stations in every city. (Time for them to stop producing gas powered cars + time for the gas cars to die out.) Gas prices will be ridiculous, because there will no longer be so much competition for low prices etc. You will still be able to use dinosaur powered cars, it will just be expensive.
    An example is the early 1900's when many many houses were using coal for heat. In the present, houses that use coal are few and far between. However, if you live in a major city, you can still get coal delivered to your house just like the olden days. It costs major dollars though.
    A second example is my house's old furnace. It was one of those ginormous ancient coal burning, octopus looking, gravity fed monsters. It started out coal when the house was built, converted to oil in the 1950's, and then to natural gas in the 1970's. I'm sure someone will build and sell kits to convert gas powered cars into electric if they stop selling gas altogether.

If it really comes down to it, you can mix your own gasoline. That's what they did before gas stations became commonplace.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Davea Lux

Most of the older cars that are still running have the hardened valve seats installed and they would also be readily convertible to propane. I am not a big fan of that conversion but it is another option to keep the old beasts running. The push to mitigate "global warming" is mostly a political movement to give government ever greater control which is what they are all about. If we see overall cooling over the next twenty five years, that warming argument will fall apart pretty quickly. For those of you not old enough to remember, Carl Sagan and a lot of other climate alarmists were predicting a global winter about 30 years ago. The climate tends to run in cycles and the single most important factor is solar activity. No amount of governmental non-science based arguments is ever going to change that fact. A lot of the supposed scientists apply for grant money and as long as the results of their work matches the template, the grant money keeps flowing.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jon O.

Jon O. Well-Known Member

I had a good teacher, and we were taught about this in high school. We are still coming out of an ice age. In the time of the dinosaurs the planet was an average of 4 degrees hotter than today. That's right in 100+ million years, the temperature of earth has changed 4 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Now, the average oxygen level has been sliced in half since 1950, but that's a story for another time.
    I say, why even worry about it. One more big war, and we're all dead anyways.

17. The Goose

The Goose Senior Member

Only problem w that is propane is a filthy fuel. Not a big deal for BBQs or forklifts but with all the stuff floating around in that fuel rust etc etc it destroys the engines pretty quick. We converted a fleet of trucks at the CAT dealer in Az, in the 90’s, to take advantage of a clean air scam. The Governor Janet napolatono said in response to criminal activity w the programs “ stupidity is not a crime...”. Funny thing was - no power and the engines lasted about 30 to 40k tops. We lost our ass on that one. Karma is a bitch.

18. Davea Lux

In this area they have been experimenting with LNG in Waste Management's fleet of garbage trucks. I heard that they were running a blend of 85% LNG and 15% diesel to provide some top end lubrication. These are diesel engine conversions. The bus company had a couple of LNG buses that they were trying out but gave up on them because the buses had too short of a range to make it thru a route shift.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Senior Member

Not going to happen. Let's look at demographics for a moment. In 2021 the first Millennial will turn 40 years old. By 2031 they will be 50 years old which means a great majority of the car buying public is Millennials and Gen Y. On the other hand Baby Boomers will be dying off at that time and it will be accelerating. That car buying group will readily go electric and those that don't probably won't buy a car but rather possibly rent as needed or use Uber. Gasoline motors I strongly suspect will no longer be made in 2030 and gas powered cars will fade into the sunset. That also means our cars could very well end up as orphans since those that might still like such cars will pale in numbers against all the Boomers with cars their surviving wife needs to unload. Our gas powered cars will one day go the way of horse drawn carriages. Evolution is unavoidable now. I just hope I can still get reasonably priced gas for the next 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Senior Member

As fare as ugly I would put Lexus ahead since every time I see the front of one I want to throw up.

• Like Like x 1