The driving experience

General Discussion

1. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Mine began with mom's 64 Comet. Now I own a vehicle that will stop on its own on cruise control. Its quite a journey. The Camaro will be 50 next year. The Mustang is even older. You never forget your first turn of the wheel.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

I don't exactly remember mine. I was about two and put my dad's car into the back of another. Those were the days before car seats and seat belts.
    I do remember driving home from passing my driving test, in a 71 polara

3. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

My Dad's 68 300 was the first one for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. polara71

That's a great first car

• Like Like x 1
  5. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Yea, I wanted that 300 really bad. I needed another car and asked my Dad if he was going to part with the 300. He said no, so I bought a 73 Barracuda. He decided he wanted a new car then and bought a 74 Satellite. I didn't find out until too late.

It was a great car to learn to drive in though....

• Like Like x 2
  6. polara71

but youre still a C body guy :steering:

• Like Like x 1
  7. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

Don't laugh. My grandfather had one of these. I would hotwire it and practice backing up and going forward in our very long driveway. I was maybe 14

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Senior Member

First turn of the wheel of a car that was actually going to be driven by me... 1969 Dodge Dart in driver's training. The family car I practiced in was Mom's 1968 Satellite wagon. First car that was mine when all finished and now 16 years old... 1968 Cougar. Where did it go wrong...? Mom's father was a Dodge man his entire life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildaugust

Wildaugust Senior Member

Very first car I ever "drove" was a '66 Galaxie 4-dr HT with a 352. If you can call it driving. I don't remember exactly how old I was, 14 or 15 maybe, but all I did was move it forward, backward and turn it around once or twice. Next car I drove was a buddy's '69 Datsun 4-dr. Drove aprox 50 miles in a snowstorm, well blowing snow anyway, late at night averaging 35 - 40 mph and somehow lived to tell about it.
    :lol:

Almost ran out of gas too. We had to knock on the door of a farm house at 4:00am to ask for some gas. The farmer was nice enough to give us some. An adventure, but I would say that was the night I actually learned how to drive.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 72Fury

72Fury Senior Member

The first was a Fiat 850 spider that I bought for $185 out of the police impound auction. I was 14. The starter was locked up. After a new ignition switch (no keys!) and a starter I was driving it up and down the short driveway. I once got it going 70 mph, sitting still, when we had ice everywhere. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rags

rags Senior Member

my father's '73 town & country. my first car acquisition? a rotten to the window sills '69 newport convertible. c-cars all the way. SG

• Like Like x 1
  12. amazinblue82

amazinblue82 Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Dad's '57 DeSoto. On his lap, about age three. Actual car below (screen shot from an old home movie from 1961)

Never forgot the thrill..though not much else OTHER than how happy my Dad seemed to be from the whole thing :)

56 DeSoto.png

First car all by myself? 1970 in my Dad's '68 Eldo. Around the block, Dad in front seat supervising the trip. I still own that car to this day :)
    68 Eldo.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  13. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

First driving experience mid 80's RamCharger when I was out in PA at boarding school, with no license. Parents Audi 86 5000 for learning, then a 79 Celica coupe that I learned to drive a stickshift.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fratzog

Fratzog Old Man with a Hat

I was about 15 and they had just finished the service road along the highway near our place. Dad had me drive his 54 Chev long box with a stick as long as my leg. Good way to learn to drive a standard. Took my licence the next year in his 67 Polara.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

My Dad's 68 Dodge wagon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr C

Mr C Senior Member

Hilarious! I have a similar story. I backed my sister's Datsun 510 out of our driveway across the street and onto the neighbour's lawn! I don't remember how old I was.

• Like Like x 1
  17. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

These stories are great. Keep them coming.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. CanCritter

CanCritter Senior Member

63 falcon...derby bait in the fields...can remember many occaisions comeing back from Winnipeg to portage after a nights partying and having to open drivers door to spot center lines or gravel pavement edge with two on gravel and two tires on pavement because it was blowing so hard..if they shut down No 1 Hyw would shoot south or north of it.....worst l found was between McGregor and Brandon...can get slick...bottom line is most in Manitoba learn to drive early and drive well...generaly yer life depended on it in them parts....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mr C

Mr C Senior Member

Your Dad's DeSoto was a 57.

20. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

1977 Chevy Suburban... dads only special order vehicle. Bigger Brake 1/2 ton, 350, 4 BBL, 4-speed, velour seats, rear speaker for AM radio... end of options. Dad was cheap, this was the cheapest way for him to get the features he wanted and he spent over a year figuring it out. You wouldn't want to have been the salesman. Lived on a very steep Pittsburgh street and Dad wasn't very forgiving about hurting his clutch... lets just say that first lesson was short and painful. I needed to get my license soon so I could take a shop job, but dad wasn't sure about wanting to let me get it... disciplinary issues. I have never been so rattled by anyone since, when driving their car. First day on the job, "drive Mr. so-and-so home", turns out the little mom and pop still took care of their customers that way and it was usually my job to drive the customer home and pick them up in their own car...