The Garage Mahal - Progress Continues. . .

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
We've been busy this past summer with the Garage Mahal. We are finally "under roof" and getting ready to get it weather-tight.

DSCF1325.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1679.jpg

DSCF1682.jpg

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1685.jpg

DSCF1686.jpg

DSCF1688.jpg

Ahh... Garage door in the back! A step that I would do if I built a garage!

What's gonna be upstairs and is there room for lifts downstairs?

The upstairs is set up for a one-bedroom suite with full bath and a kitchenette. Could be used for rental income or God forbid, a place for me and the spousal unit, if it ever comes to that. . .

The downstairs garage itself is 24' by 40', and the ceiling is 10 feet.

Last edited:
The upstairs is set up for a one-bedroom suite with full bath and a kitchenette. Could be used for rental income or God forbid, a place for me and the spousal unit, if it ever comes to that. . .

Or the Fonz. I always thought if I ever built a garage I'd do the exact same thing and rent it to pay for it for a while then to use as a man cave or whatever later. Have you considered putting a dumwaiter (big one) in it or roughing it in for later when you want to store parts after you kick out the Fonz?

Oh and in the meantime the Fonz can use the dumbwaiter to get his furniture and groceries up stairs ... I thought about this a lot

Obviously the Fonz is just a euphemism for any potential tenant who would ideally be a female who likes to work on cars and get dirty :)

much like this young lady

valentina-nappi-strips-down-while-working-on-her-muscle-car-2.jpg

Nice shop! Have you been over on garagejournal.com??? THE best garage/shop site around. Check it out, if you haven't already.

Why did you use plywood vs. OSB?

When I built my steel frame garage, the manufacturer said to use 3/4" plywood for the sides, not OSB for shear strength and moisture resistance. When searching on line at the time though, I wasn't able to find a clear preference for plywood. I did what they said, but it cost more.

Back