The incremental improvement plan for my turbo 383

furious70

Reaction score
Bought a 383 short block from @Xenon over the summer but was focused on my coronet until now. I remember in the good ole days r&r of bb/727 in our chargers and coronets was 90 minutes. Now it takes 90 minutes to get the tools to get the turbo setup out!
I started the pass side when I thought I hurt the engine, but got the rest out...

PXL_20210116_234128519.jpg

New engine will give me a CR boost from 8.6 to 9.25 which will make it snappier around town, hopefully more efficient, and with efi and water injection still plenty safe.

New engine will give me a CR boost from 8.6 to 9.25 which will make it snappier around town, hopefully more efficient, and with efi and water injection still plenty safe.
can you share a little about your water injection setup? what kit? and how big of a reservoir you're using and where it's mounted?

Thanks

Are you going to add any Methanol to the water?

I use a snow injection kit. The motor is mounted to the underside of the battery tray and the reservoir is driver's side in front of rad support (msd6a painted black also lives up there
No plans for meth but it's an easy way out of any problems now that the system is plumbed.

Funny how time flies and small parts add up, ordered $150 of hoses, tstat,plugs, gaskets, rtv...
Plugs were 8 years old
Radiator hoses may be 15 yrs old.
I did the heater hoses when I did the heater box 2 years ago.

Are those exhaust manifolds designed for turbos? I seem to remember at a swap meet years ago a guy had a turbo setup, saying it was off of a 440 in a motorhome. I wish I would have bought it.

nope, but there was a rv setup made back in the day by rayjay or someone. These are just van manifolds turned upside down.

Well this didn't go as planned. The heads I wanted to run had previous cutting and porting done. I've had them for quite some time, originally thinking I'd use them on a smog 440 but never did.
They have been cut unevenly or just flat out not right. You can see they haven't been cut enough on the intake side or at the wrong angle. Compare the 2 heads at the top of the ports

IMG_20210405_195359.jpg

IMG_20210405_195354.jpg

PXL_20210405_162948162.jpg

PXL_20210405_162929845.jpg

PXL_20210405_162858233.jpg

And the balancer (replacing because the rubber was splitting out of the old one) needs to be honed because it's too tight of interference to get drawn in the last 1/2".
It'll be a race to the June show with the car in Iowa. I do have a stock set of 452's I can throw on it as a backup plan but lose the porting and a half point of compression.

Wow, April was the last update. Well, I didn't want to but cutting the efi intake to match the heads was the only real option. Still can't but a new set of stealth heads or a might have done that.
A guy back home got it to seal. I was back last week with the kids and I tried to get it running. Lots of little setbacks including work getting in the way, and then this.

IMG_20210811_155021_01.jpg

IMG_20210810_191932_01.jpg

Threads stripped and then I couldn't get the stud out till it snapped. Got it drilled for an ez out. Tried to be so careful and then snap. Broke that off. Luckily the local farm store had some decent cobalt bits. Took some doing but I got it drilled and then knocked some pieces out with a punch and then we used carbide bit to make something of a hole again. Then my uncle was able to tap it one size up and that actually works with my turbo manifold!

Back