The infamous 4-spd 76 New Yorker. Ask me anything.

How long did you have the car after you made it road worthy?
Several months.

Did you take any trips in it?
I remember getting in a few 100 mi. round trips.

In your estimation, is a hydraulic clutch worth the extra cost if mechanical linkage is available? (for guys with bad knees)
NO! I originally tried to go for all mechanical but there was zero room on the firewall to do that. :BangHead:
So I went hybrid with a hydraulic master to the stock mechanical fork pushed by a hydraulic slave. Wasnt 100% right. :BangHead::BangHead:
Then I went all hydraulic.
It's the clutch itself that determines how hard it is to push the pedal

Is your Kubota hydro static, and do you have any future plans to convert it?
Yes and no. LOL.

Thank you in advance.
You're welcome :)

MOST of the money went into the engine. Nothing fancy. Steel crank drilled for the 4 spd. tranny shaft from a pre-72 440. Heads rebuilt and polished.
. 030 over. Holly sitting on a Performer. Keith, Comp, ARP, Milodoon, AutoZone, etc, etc, etc... $3k+
The bellhousing, tranny, flywheel, I forget.
3.51 rear... 40 bucks
NOS motor mounts, transmission mount, I can't remember 75% of the odds, ends, and trinkets.
Just too much over so long nickel and dimming me.

What the diff in pre and post 72 trans shafts?

and significance of it being a 440?

guessing the steel quality .... forged vs ?

yeah i know .. butthere was a "premium" i was willing to pay to (1) stop the ignominy of all the @#$%& flipping and (2) help restore it to builder's intent.
I'm with you on that. I would take the car, rust, abuse, whatever. It would be a permanent home. I get rid of no whole cars.
Except for the now legendary history of this particular car, I could probably build a better one from scratch. I'm good with second.
Thank you Stan, for using up another section of my brain with this idea/project. Even though it will probably never happen it is now in there forever.

What the diff in pre and post 72 trans shafts?

and significance of it being a 440?

guessing the steel quality .... forged vs ?
Bry, the tranny input shafts were the same (23 spline) , except for the hemi and the 4 spd 440+6 (18 spline). All early BBs had cranks to accommodate the 4 spd input shaft. Later steel BBs had two cranks. One drilled for the manual tranny input shaft and some not. None of the forged cranks could accommodate without mods the 4 speed.

There's a myth that the steel cranks are stronger. Cast cranks can handle up to 500 hp at the flywheel

Not sure if I answered your questions.

Nice. What engine is in the Lincoln and does it have any jag on the mix?
I dunno what engine is in the MKS. After 4 years I have yet to pop the hood. :lol:
Only has 8k on it. Almost all of it to chauffer Pamela. My DD is the truck.
All I know is that it's quick. Not Hellcat fast but it's enough. Lol
I would guess it's about as quick as a 5.7 Charger.

does it have any jag on the mix?[
You lost me, bro.

Last edited:
Hopefully we both live that long.
Indeed..........
WINCE.GIF

Nice. What engine is in the Lincoln and does it have any jag on the mix?
Regarding the 2016 Lincoln MKS engines offered (from Edmunds):

Performance & mpg
The 2016 Lincoln MKS base model gets a 3.7-liter V6 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and a choice of front- or all-wheel drive. This engine generates 305 hp and 280 pound-feet of torque. The EPA-estimated fuel economy for front-wheel-drive models is 22 mpg in combined driving (19 city/28 highway). That number drops to 21 mpg combined (18 city/26 highway) with all-wheel-drive.

The EcoBoost model is only offered with all-wheel drive and is propelled by a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter that develops 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy is rated at 20 mpg in combineddriving (17 city/25 highway). In Edmunds testing, a Lincoln MKS EcoBoost dashed from zero to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds.

I dunno what engine is in the MKS. After 4 years I have yet to pop the hood. :lol:
Only has 8k on it. Almost all of it to chauffer Pamela. My DD is the truck.
All I know is that it's quick. Not Hellcat fast but it's enough. Lol
I would guess it's about as quick as a 5.7 Charger.

You lost me, bro.

Daughters BF has a 2001 V8 Lincoln LS that shared a platform with Jags. Seems like a ***** to work on or find parts for ... and $$$ to boot.

He’s getting rid of it

I know yours is in excellent shape though as I recall when you bought it and posted pics but didn’t know what all you had these days. Just wondered about the jag content if any which was a thing ... maybe still is dunno

:thumbsup:

PS I love driving my 96 Ram Truck too when I’m at homestead but just have the 99 Durango and 2014 T&C here. Eventually plan to have the Ram as the DD ... manual trans rule !!!

Last edited:
Daughters BF has a 2001 V8 Lincoln LS that shared a platform with Jags. Seems like a ***** to work on or find parts for ... and $$$ to boot.

He’s getting rid of it

I know yours is in excellent shape though as I recall when you bought it and posted pics but didn’t know what all you had these days. Just wondered about the jag content if any which was a thing ...

probably 0%:

In 1989, Ford acquired Jaguar. In 2000, Ford acquired Land Rover from BMW, and in 2002 Ford put Jaguar Land Rover together under the same marquee. As mentioned, Ford sold Jaguar Land Rover in 2008 to Tata Motors.

Bry, the tranny input shafts were the same (23 spline) , except for the hemi and the 4 spd 440+6 (18 spline). All early BBs had cranks to accommodate the 4 spd input shaft. Later steel BBs had two cranks. One drilled for the manual tranny input shaft and some not. None of the forged cranks could accommodate without mods the 4 speed.

There's a myth that the steel cranks are stronger. Cast cranks can handle up to 500 hp at the flywheel

Not sure if I answered your questions.

My apologies Stan, I misunderstood your comment about the input shaft (based on the period placement).

Thought you were saying something about the input shaft being different post 72.

I’m familiar with the 833 and B/RBs. Thought you were turning me onto something I hadn’t heard about before wrt the input shafts themselves.

All 440 4 bbls also had 18 spline and Dana btw.

Just wondered about the jag content if any which was a thing ... maybe still is dunno
No Jag.
The MKS and the Taurus are the same chassis and they go back to the Ford 500 who's chassis was used even earlier in Europe.
Basically, the MKS is dead reliable, all sorted out after almost 20 years, and parts will be
available for years.

2005 Ford 500
CAB50FOC181A0112.jpg

2016 Lincoln MKS
2016lic090001_640_03.jpg

Last edited:
Back