The last Canadian C body / the last Salon

Just to understand the terms better (English can be difficult for a foreigner like me):

"build-out" = end of production for a certain model or a certain option on a model
"banked orders" = accumulated orders

If that is correct one can state for the 1978 context: "Chrysler was short on banked orders and they built out early."

Build out refers to the factory setting a schedule of production that will, once enough orders have been received to keep the factory running, shut off any further orders for the entire line that particular factory builds. This usually occurs around mid May early June. Options will become harder to guarantee being available and even paint colours can be restricted. The factory will take a 1-2 week break then production of the next years model begins. Buildouts can occur at anytime or can be extended well past July if FCA wants to capitalize on a popular model or to run the life out of a discontinued model.

Bank orders or Sales Bank orders are orders that are ordered by the Regional Business Centres in the absence of Dealer orders in an effort to avoid a slow down at the factory or to control the release of a popular model (Hellcat/Gladiator for example) the Regional Business Centres are then tasked with “pushing bank” onto Dealers whether they want them or not. Examples of controlling release of models would be “Buzz” vehicles or “Spring Specials” that Dealers would have to take undesirable models to get the hot product.

Build out refers to the factory setting a schedule of production that will, once enough orders have been received to keep the factory running, shut off any further orders for the entire line that particular factory builds. This usually occurs around mid May early June. Options will become harder to guarantee being available and even paint colours can be restricted. The factory will take a 1-2 week break then production of the next years model begins. Buildouts can occur at anytime or can be extended well past July if FCA wants to capitalize on a popular model or to run the life out of a discontinued model.

Bank orders or Sales Bank orders are orders that are ordered by the Regional Business Centres in the absence of Dealer orders in an effort to avoid a slow down at the factory or to control the release of a popular model (Hellcat/Gladiator for example) the Regional Business Centres are then tasked with “pushing bank” onto Dealers whether they want them or not. Examples of controlling release of models would be “Buzz” vehicles or “Spring Specials” that Dealers would have to take undesirable models to get the hot product.

Extending the 4th Gen 2018 Ram production for another year would be an example of that.

Amazing. A system that hasn't changed in over 50 years.
The only difference is a dealer with pull can't get the seats from a 300 in a Charger.
2012-03-02-take_it.jpg

A spring special should have been the 1320 Shaker. By the way, the Challenger is 50 for 2020 . Im hoping ...

Note the Shipping Order Number is identical to the Vehicle Order Number, bar two inserted C's:

SON: 626-CC-B26040
VON: 626 B26040

View attachment 292762

View attachment 292763

Pure coincidence or does the actual shipping date come from some other piece of information?

They are the same number. The only difference is the model line and plant indicator. (Chrysler and Jefferson) you’d expected to see RA on a Belvedere car from Lynch Road, JB on a Challenger from Hamtramck, XG Charger from St. Louis, etc.

So "banked orders" = "Sales Bank Orders aka bank orders" + "Dealer Orders"?

(I can be a nuisance at times.)

The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

Sales Bank or banked orders refers to unsold to a Dealer vehicles only. Dealer ordered vehicles are considered sold orders. It’s the factory’s way of keeping production moving and unions happy. The last thing the factory wants to do is shutdown a shift due to lack of orders.

Congratulations on securing a beautiful and interesting piece of Mopar history. With the assistance of board members here you will get any little gremlins like the wipers sorted out in short order.

It was built / MDH june 13 1978, then sent to ASC and was finally shipped june 26th.

They are the same number. The only difference is the model line and plant indicator.

As the date in the Shipping Order Number is directly copied from the Vehicle Order Number, it would be cautious not to assume the car got actually shipped that day.

hopefully this wont be too rambling or disjointed but here goes :
i now own the last Canadian market C body, or at least the last Canadian assigned VIN C body.
ive known this car for about 10 years and never thought it would be mine 1 day.
in 1977 the 1st owner ( i am the 2nd) heard that 78 would be the last year for the c body new yorker and specifically wanted the last one, and chrysler canada agreed to build and sell it to him; and wrote a letter confirming it is the last CDN VIN assigned.
it was ordered dec 10 77 with a requested delivery of august 16 78.
it has a ton of documentation from day one, the original dealer order, original customer sales contract, window sheets, shipping paperwork, and even paperwork from ASC when the car was delivered to them to have the sunroof installed.
it was built / MDH june 13 1978, then sent to ASC and was finally shipped june 26th.
it is also a Salon, most likely the last one, the Salon was a limited edition package of which about 1200 were made.
i will sum up the Salon package later.......
there was a delay in completing the work at ASC, they ran out of the Salon specific Silver Elk grain vinyl and eventually had to use a light gray vinyl that i have not seen on other mopars and not used on 78 mopars. i have seen it used on some GM products.
ASC did all the sunroofs for Chrysler, GM and Ford Lincoln Mercury.
the 1st owners were not happy with the delay and vinyl substitution but were glad to finally get the car and signed off on delivery on aug 15 1978. i have a copy of the delivery slip to customer.
now heres some cool stuff :
graham ( @Dobalovr ) researched the selling dealership, Binkley Motors in Brandon, Manitoba, and Manse Binkley from the dealership who wrote a letter to the buyer confirming the car was the last Canadian car.
graham found Manse alive and now running a (Honda) dealership here in BC, in Kelowna in the Okanagan !
Manse was in his 20s working at the family dealership and is the one who wrote up the order for the car.
His family and the buyers were good friends. the buyers were a family named Allen who own pharmacies (still do) in Manitoba, Alberta and BC. they also own health care companies and a hotel here in Victoria, BC - the James Bay Inn among other things.

I will let @Dobalovr tell how he tracked Manse down......
i had told graham about this car quite a while ago, at 1 point we thought it might have been the last C body.
it was abit exciting as we learned more,
the owners thought it was the last c body period, but we now know it is the last canadian market one.
which makes sense, since canadian cars had to have metric speedos among other things.
something CDN 78 nybs didnt have was the front bumper corner edge guards that were used on US nybs.

I was in Kelowna about a month ago and i met Manse and in the future i plan to drive there in the Salon, he has offered to write up the history of the car and wants to pose for a pic with it and me.
the car is in very good shape and has 69k kms, about 43k miles.
it has always been in a heated garage, and was last on the road in 2017.
options include 440, power everything, sunroof, HD pkg, 3.23 suregrip, CB radio, auto level,
working ATC II !, and the Salon package.
base price $9324, options and shipping brought it up to $14,877.10 not inc taxes

it was brought to BC in the early 1980s and kept at a summer home here, until the owners made Vancouver Island their main home base and moved here in the 2000s.

this car is my 3rd sunroof Salon -
i have to admit i feel its kind of weird that this is my 3rd sunroof Salon, another member of this site owns my 1st one.
at 1 time i owned 2 sunroof Salons at the same time, i had 1 car in vancouver and 1 in victoria.
kevin mccabe was also aware of this car and gave his advice.
bill watson noticed the Salon package had been typed in on the shipping order, differently printed than the shipping memorandum, probably due to the delay in the the roof material.
ASC would have installed the vinyl top and headliner when they installed the sunroof.
most likely they also installed the smaller Imperial back window plug at the same time as well.
i didnt buy the car because of it being the "last" canadian c body, that doesnt add a huge amount of value as far as im concerned, some yes; its an interesting story as far as im concerned.
i bought it because its the lowest mileage, most loaded sunroof salon in the nicest shape i could find and i did pay a premium for it.

to me the history is interesting, and i really enjoyed getting to know the owners - the Allens better and meeting Manse Binkley. the Allens were great friends with Manse Binkley's parents, they even owned a plane together -
Mrs Shirley Allen today is a little spitfire, shes in her 80s and still has a hand in some of the family businesses, still has her dark green 72 Eldorado convertible.
im sure my jaw dropped when she was talking about the plane they had, how the wives also had their pilots licences and how the husbands would get annoyed when the wives would head off in the plane with out them......
i have had the car less than a week, i havent even washed it yet.
i hope to have time to wash the car this week end and take some good pics.
i also still have finish scanning the car's paperwork.
i did the deal about a month ago but i had too much going on to pick it up sooner.
i have new 1.6" ww to go on, and the a/c needs to be recharged; the ATC works much to my surprise. the red velour interior is like new.
everything works except for the horn, so today i bought a new relay and hopefully that will fix that.
the lean burn has been replaced with a mopar performance ignition/distributor kit.
the wiper linkage is busted like all 78 nyb intermittent wipers but i think i have a fix for that.
heres a couple pics of it at the moment and some of the paperwork
and a pic of shirley and me ( im the fat one on the left)

mark

you can stop buggin me now graham !

View attachment 292237

View attachment 292238

View attachment 292239

View attachment 292240

View attachment 292241

This car seems to have had "YES" written across the order form. Very few if any options that aren't on this car. It also seems that a number of Salons that came to Canada were ordered this way. I know of another besides yours that's similarly laden. Unfortunately, it doesn't have anywhere near the backup paperwork to go with it.

Mark had mentioned I had pointed out the typed "A71 - New Yorker Salon Package" on the Vehicle Shipping Order form, but the Vehicle Shipment Memorandum form had a modified A71 New Yorker Salon Package listing.

The second entry in the A71 package listing normally would have been -
"Silver Elk Grain Vinyl Roof"

But this car has -
"Smooth Grain Vinyl Roof - Silver"

So the car does have exact confirmation that the silver, smooth grain vinyl roof was installed at the factory.

Mark had mentioned I had pointed out the typed "A71 - New Yorker Salon Package" on the Vehicle Shipping Order form, but the Vehicle Shipment Memorandum form had a modified A71 New Yorker Salon Package listing.

The second entry in the A71 package listing normally would have been -
"Silver Elk Grain Vinyl Roof"

But this car has -
"Smooth Grain Vinyl Roof - Silver"

So the car does have exact confirmation that the silver, smooth grain vinyl roof was installed at the factory.

Does the outside vendor putting the A71 Salon kit on the vehicle put the Elk Grain vinyl on at their facility?

yes in this case it would have been put on by ASC when they were installing the sunroof and headliner.
they would also have done this on non Salon NYBs when they put sunroofs in them as well.

@Dobalovr & i have speculated about whether ASC would have installed the smaller back window plug as well, or if it was installed on the production line but it seems likely.....

which then brings up the question did ASC install the Salon kit on all Salons ?

ASC did many semi customs for all the Big 3, including convertible conversions and also sold pimp mobile dress up stuff !

ASC, American Sunroof Corporation, ASC Custom Craft, Heinz C. Prechter, ASC Holdings, American Specialty Cars, ASC/McLaren - Coachbult.com

Last edited:
I don't think you need another, however I couldn't help but notice your car's twin, (a couple months earlier) and no sunroof, for sale in Edmonton, on Kijiji. I'm gonna try to post the link, wish me luck. I'm not very good at computers. I'm a fusey guy, yet this one has me tempted. Though I insist my next car will have a manual transmission. If only there was a formal with a manual transmission for sale somewhere...1978 Chrysler New Yorker All Original Amazing Find | Classic Cars | Edmonton | Kijiji

I don't think you need another, however I couldn't help but notice your car's twin, (a couple months earlier) and no sunroof, for sale in Edmonton, on Kijiji. I'm gonna try to post the link, wish me luck. I'm not very good at computers. I'm a fusey guy, yet this one has me tempted. Though I insist my next car will have a manual transmission. If only there was a formal with a manual transmission for sale somewhere...1978 Chrysler New Yorker All Original Amazing Find | Classic Cars | Edmonton | Kijiji

I sent this to Mark earlier today Grant it only had a 400 he said lol

Are you serious or being facetious?

Umm,,, the second one? Yes definitely the second one. I'm being incredibly facetious. I always liked your conversion. However I always thought it could use a Superbird wing/spoiler? Or something, I don't know, to give it a bit more pissaz! Something that says "look at me"!

Back