The Last DeSoto

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The DeSoto line is my favorite Forward Look.

Someday I'll have one.....

The Last DeSoto

1961-DeSoto-Front-white-600.jpg

Nice Story on the DeSoto ! Thanks for sharing. Although I could care less about Toyota killing Scion."Toyota’s recent announcement that the automaker was killing off its troubled Scion brand"

The 57 to 61 DeSoto's are so cool. I'm surprised that their styling wasn't more popular back in the day.

Toyota tried to position Scion as it's "college student entry line" of vehicles. Separate from other Toyotas, even with a separate sales area on the same showroom floor. The first two generations were some interesting cars (I termed the original Xb sedan "X-Box"), but then sales fizzled and many dealers wanted that showroom space back for other Toyotas.

DeSoto was, toward the end, competition for Olds and Mercury, I suspect, but could encroach into Dodge Territory at the lower end, but with Chrysler size and flair. Not quite the same as in the middle '50s.

Funny thing, to me, was that when all divisions had a version of the Gen I Hemi, each carline's engine had its own distinctions. Plymouth had no V-8s, until '55. Dodge had the smallest versions. DeSoto had the "long stroke" versions. Chrysler had the largest CID and power versions.

In the earlier '50s, DeSoto had the 8-passenger factory limos, which were also used for upscale taxi cabs.

In those earlier times, the product lines of Chrysler exactly mirrored those of GM.

Chevy - Plymouth / Pontiac - Dodge / Olds - DeSoto / Buick - Chrysler / Cadillac - Imperial.

FUN times back then, keeping up with what was what!

CBODY67

I've always had a special spot for DeSoto because my Dad was responsible for their auto show exhibit designs in the Forward Look years. I often wondered if Highland Park had had some vision, that they might not have kept DeSoto with designs tailored to their fleet business. DeSotos had a rep of granite-like durability as taxis. Or (more fun) they might have made it a specialty hemi-powered roadster/GT/sports car sold at Chrysler dealerships. Wishful thinking likely, but the Adventurer moniker might have been something to ride on.

Back in the early 70's there was an older couple that drove a silver 61 DeSoto four door hardtop, I think it had a red interior. This was in Massachusetts so most cars of that era had rusted away by then, so seeing that car was pretty special, at least for me. I used to love seeing that finned beauty coming down the road, rusty as it was. I was only around 10 at the time! One day it was gone. I will always miss that car.

I have one. 1 of 3034 built. For some reason they seem to have a high survival rate. 361/Auto, PS, PB. It’s for sale/trade as well.

4E151534-0163-4D68-98ED-578843520EEE.jpeg

16388397-E783-4F3A-97A2-5FCDC30AF47F.jpeg

Back