The list-

BoatMan

Reaction score
Maybe there is another thread for this already but I purchased this 66 300 and it is my first project car. There are a ton of things to do and I was wondering what type of order they should be in and possibly why. Also feel free to add to this list. Driver, not a show car by any means

Wheels/Tires- dry rot and rusted steel currently
Lower- Shocks/Bags (although bags seem impossible in my case for front)
Engine (383)- cam, carb, intake, etc
Exhaust- Headers, dual, Cutout?
Front end rebuild- kit?

FB_IMG_1486992341231.jpg

Maybe there is another thread for this already but I purchased this 66 300 and it is my first project car. There are a ton of things to do and I was wondering what type of order they should be in and possibly why. Also feel free to add to this list. Driver, not a show car by any means

Front end rebuild- kit?

It depends on your cars running condition. I went with tires first so I could roll her around, mine were to far gone even for driveway runs. While in there I checked out the brakes which turned out to be good for now.

I dug into the motor secondly as mine had a bad timing chain and I didn't want to throw that and cause more issues. While in there, I found a number of other issues: fuel system (entirely), oil system (entirely), carb rebuild, ign. rebuild, vacuum system rebuild .. started noting electrical problems but am hoping I can hold off on that for the remainder of the summer.

Once she is once again under her own power, I'll assess the susp/steering and go from there.

I'd advise against going to heavy on mods until you have it up and running well as stock. That can turn into a very deep and long rabbit hole.

Good luck with her, man!

Your choice, There is a great thread of options.
C-Body Wheel and Tire Survey
There are some people that do it, there is no kit...

if it runs good, leave it. Change the carb? Fuel Inject?
TTI would be the place to get that

Front end rebuild- kit?

PST would be the best place to get a kit.

I would do a disc swap for the front. Its a safety thing.

I'm very much in agreement with the other guys.
  1. Getting the motor running and dependable in a stock state before considering changes.
  2. Address the brakes. While I agree with the front disc swap I would get it road worthy with what you have. Once you've been able to drive it for a while you'll really have a good feel for the dependability of the engine and tranny. Then you can move on to mods.
  3. Wheels and tires - I would go cheap until you know the car is going to be dependable. Have them blasted and painted or powder coated. Once the bigger things are sorted out you can always buy some wheels and swap the tires over.
  4. I personally wouldn't go crazy with the exhaust. Run the stock manifolds and get a nice 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch exhaust installed.
I hope this helps, from the picture it looks nice.

Last edited:

Front end rebuild- kit?

In order....

If you are driving the car, the first thing you gotta do is fix the tires. Wheels are your choice, but guys here like the stock road wheels or wheel covers. You are best not to get too crazy with a wheel choice though.

Rebuild the front end if needed.

Bags... Don't... Just don't.... It pretty much ruins the car even if done right and the chances of finding a shop to do it right is slim. If you want the car lower, the torsion bars are adjustable and you can use lowering blocks on the rear springs.

Dual exhaust is good. I suggest the TTI stuff. Excellent quality. Don't go with the 3".. It's not needed.

Engine... With a big C body, less is always more. I can't stress that enough. You want to keep the low end torque high.

Headers... Waste of time and money. See above. They aren't gonna do much for you on the street.

Cut-outs? Don't.... Just don't... You have a classy car... Keep it classy.

Back