The project begins...1968 Sport Suburban

wbulick76

Reaction score
098 (2).jpg115.jpg116.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the 1968 Sport Suburban I just picked up. My plans are to ditch the ugly wheels and make it mechanically reliable. Eventually paint it and new carpet. Brakes are shot. Front bumper and grille/headlight bezels are missing, and so is the trim that goes around the wood grain on the drivers side. Also have to dive in to the auto temp a/c and figure out why the blower motor won't come on. More pics will be up soon with updates on the progress.

098 (2).jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

Thanks everybody! The grille and bumper should be easy to find, but I'm worried about tracking down the woodgrain moldings. Really wish I would have gotten a hold of this car before the previous owner. He bought it from the original owner as an unmolested car and did everything wrong that you see.

Yeah, a very kool blank page to begin with. This one will be fun to watch, best of luck to you and keep posting.

Hopefully Murray Park has the Woodgrain trim for you. That car needs the woodgrain. Nice project, for sure.

Who is Murray Park? I definitely want the wood grain back on it. There's a very talented custom painter that I know that's going to paint the wood grain back on it for me.

Wouldn't this trim even be available as DiNoc through 3M company, think they supplied this to Mopar even back in the day.

Mr. C mentioned it was not that hard, just have to find out or be shown how to do it. The technique used to be or even still is part of the apprenticeship for painters over here.

Murry Park is in Ohio,and has been very helpful to me in the past,
My last wagon was a 67 Fury I that had the same color interrior, I actually put in a 66 dodge charger interior that worked out perfect,your car looks like it needs enough body work and interrior work that I would keep it peoriod correct but change a few things,,your body mouldings alone will be a task to find in usable condition,,
my wagon had the four bucket seats and full length console that fit perfectly,it never had a third row seat so when the rears were folded down it still had the full cargo space in the rear,,,I even added headrests to the front seats from a 70 cordova,,a little welding but they were nice when done,,,,,I sold that car a few years ago and I hope it's still around.

That is going to be a cool project, and an awesome ride when you're done. Good luck with it!

003.jpg118.jpg004.jpg

Here's a few more pictures. Not any real progress yet, but cleaned it up and put the roof rack back on. Gave it an oil change.

003.jpg

118.jpg

004.jpg

Glenn B's wife paints a bad *** wood grain. Good quality vinyl is plentiful & cheap these days though. I'd go vinyl if it were mine.

Back