The re-chrome wish list.

LL1 turquoise, its original color.

I sent most of my pot metal and rear bumper to be re-chromed. He said he would have it done by the end of February. If I can stay on schedule that will work out perfect, but I probably won’t be quite ready to re install them by then.

I found a shop near me in Dayton that has been doing it since 78. I checked out his work and a lot of picture, it looks really nice. It is a family business with his son and wife and 3 other employees.

I had a couple really nasty looking pot metal pieces, the back-up light body mounded in the rear bumper. I didn’t know if they could be cleaned up to look half way decent. The guy said they weren’t a problem and that he has restored a lot worse and showed me a before and after photo that were definitely worse.

Here is my worst pot metal piece.

Dasty back up light housing.sm.jpg

Dasty back up light housing.sm.jpg

The good thing it is on the bottom of the bumper and not in a very visible.

Hey Mike, text me that guys info or post it please.

How do you know if you're getting a good price from the guy? Or, I guess if he does nice work & the price seems ok then there's no point in shopping it, right?

Hey Mike, text me that guys info or post it please.

How do you know if you're getting a good price from the guy? Or, I guess if he does nice work & the price seems ok then there's no point in shopping it, right?

His name is Mike Barr this business in Metal Brite. http://www.metal-britepolishing.com/
I have a cousin who is really involved in car restoration and told me what to expect for the cost of the chrome and he was inline with that. The small pot metal adds up. I saw his work and was very impressed and he has a local guy that will paint in anything that needs paint. I saw his work too.

I like this guy already. You have to make an appointment on Saturday during race season.

Just to give you an idea on his pricing. Here are some detailed pictures on the problem areas on my bumper. He is going to take the dent out, I have a little rust, and the bolt has been spot welded in and there is a dent around the bolt. He will remove that bolt and repair that dent too. The bumper will cost $550.

.Rear bumper bolt dent.sm.jpgRear bumper dent.sm.jpgRear bumper rust.sm.jpg

Rear bumper bolt dent.sm.jpg

Rear bumper dent.sm.jpg

Rear bumper rust.sm.jpg

There's always BumperBoyz if you want to chance it...

Are they still around? Amazed. I made the mistake of buying a rear bumper for my '68 from them nearly 20 years ago. It had spots on it that looked like bits of mud or gum that were on it when it was plated, along with overall lousy chrome quality. Never again.

Wow the polish shop has had my stuff for over 3 months now. This is the first time I have stopped by since I dropped it off. Here are some pictures of them coated in copper and waiting for chrome. I saw the tail light pieces too, they look good after a 3 coat of copper. He said they will be ready in 2 weeks including the piece I dropped off today. Hopefully this is true that is when my paint should be done.Copper trim.sm.jpgCoppered louvers.sm.jpgHere is the before of the one piece.Nasty back up light housing.sm.jpg

Copper trim.sm.jpg

Coppered louvers.sm.jpg

Nasty back up light housing.sm.jpg

Thanks, I was very happy with the work. I'll be honest I wasn't expecting some of the pot metal to turn out as good as it did, I had my doubts.

Thanks, I was very happy with the work. I'll be honest I wasn't expecting some of the pot metal to turn out as good as it did, I had my doubts.

I know it's none of my business but I would be curious if you have a cost breakdown on some of the parts. I have an upcoming restoration on my 61 Fury that will require plating several "pot metal" parts. I've been using Ogden chrome in Utah and am very happy with the quality but cost is up there.

Also would like contact info on the folks who did your stuff. Thanks.

I know it's none of my business but I would be curious if you have a cost breakdown on some of the parts. I have an upcoming restoration on my 61 Fury that will require plating several "pot metal" parts. I've been using Ogden chrome in Utah and am very happy with the quality but cost is up there. Also would like contact info on the folks who did your stuff. Thanks.
The name of the company is Metal Brite they are out of Dayton, OH. Here is the link http://www.metal-britepolishing.com/ To give you an idea for the price my rear bumper was $600. My bumper was in decent shape but there was a small dent and some surface rust. I had around 25 piece of pot metal, they were $800. These were all pretty bad shape and several took 2 trips to copper and my rear tail light frames went 3 times. You can see the first page of this thread for what I had done. I don't have anything complete yet in my hands but I am very happy with the end products that I have seen. Half of the job cost is due at the beginning and rest at completion. They are not quick with the pot metal, but they aren't doing a half *** job of it either. The bumper was done in 6 weeks but he has had my pot metal for 3 months.

Back