The Sheriff

Your hole looks similar to this hole.

hole_01.jpg

F100_050.jpg

F100_053.jpg

Here's a shot that shows how the door edge gap was before. There's a repair in the body, but oddly enough all the work was above the body line. So it looks to me that the gap left that way from the factory.

236475918_fAacH-X2.jpg

Probably left the factory that way. Friends of mine went on a tour of GM's Linden, NJ assembly plant many years ago and told me that they saw final door adjustment being done by a large guy with a large 2x4 that he used to pry them into fitting somewhere close to accurately. Close being the operative word.

Yeah Stan, I wish it looked like that when it arrived in MD. Leaving it behind in CO with other family members took its toll.the front fender trim was broken in half on the fender, partially on the door. The passenger front fender was crushed by some jaggoff trying to look under the car and the mother in law let him use a bumper jack to attempt to lift the car by the lip of the fender. Numerous new dents left by the father in law winging crap into the trunk. you have no idea what a tailshaft of a 727 will do to a quarter panel riding cross country.

So now it is what it is and it's going the direction it's going....

You're killing me, man...

What? We had to do what we had to do. I had two weeks to pack up an entire house, move everything we had, somethings just didn't make the first trip. It was what a year before we were able to send for it. That shot you're quoting was in my driveway before we left.

This is what that same side looked like before it left the old mans house;

Oh yeah, also notice that burn in the paint in the front center of the roof. Two white spots that look like a reflection. That's where I suspect the bubble was mounted.
DSC02294-M.jpg

Notice the front fender here from the friggin jack and the new tag mark in the front of the door;
DSC02287-L.jpg

Last edited:
So after some hiatus we're going to get back after it. So I thought I'd start going after the passenger rear quarter. Since the drivers side is shaved of trim it's time to give the same treatment to the other side. The old adage be careful what you wish for applies here.

20130615_160013.jpg

Uh oh.. Something is a miss here.

20130615_160016.jpg

Drat.

20130615_170755.jpg

I hope I can figure out how to fix this one. This is gunna be a year, I can feel it.. No way I'm leaving that kind of patch and that much dope in the body. For those into prayer, I might be in the market as it were.

20130615_160013.jpg

20130615_160016.jpg

20130615_170755.jpg

Seems the lower part underneath the trim was replaced by riveting it in place there. Not so nice indeed, the least thing to do would be to separate it and re-weld it in place with some welding primer underneath. Maybe using a joggling tool to make it more even in the welding area to use less lead, bondo or whatever. Replacing the complete quarterpanel could be spared by this maybe.

Last edited:
So, you're not putting that trim back on?

Nah. Too much of it is fubar. So the wife and I decided a while ago to shave the trim. It's not going back to stock, but nor will it be a full out custom. Just a few changes that those that know what they're looking at will notice. Most everyone else I don't care.

I think that car will look sexier without the trim. PLEASE, leave the door handles on, though. LOL

I think that car will look sexier without the trim. PLEASE, leave the door handles on, though. LOL

Door handles and locks stay on. I've thought about relocating the antenna to the rear rather than the front fender. I also contemplated moving the Monaco script off of the sail panel and to the center of the rear quarter behind the rear tires. in the photoshops it made the rear end look shorter. But for some reason I decided against it.

This quarter panel is gunna kill me though.

That fender is terrible from the jack damage. No brains!!!

That fender is terrible from the jack damage. No brains!!!

Yup. I would disparage the "gentleman" that did it but he died about 6 months later. So it is what it is. It'll be coming off and getting straightened shortly.

Last edited:
Back